Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Construction Drone Work

So it is not trespassing.

No it's not trespassing but when you come back to pitch the sale to them how do you explain flying around their construction site to get the data you've collected for them? How do you explain you was not given permission to fly from their worksite so you stepped next door and flew it anyway to "impress" them?

Last edited:
I've been hit by that once, "So i noticed one of our projects on your portfolio". Bad position to be in. Always best to just go ask the guys in the trailer. Sometimes I even find the permits posted on site and have gotten a few decision makers by calling those. A lot of times, they put their cell phones on the permits.

Reactions: Bad Karma
I've been hit by that once, "So i noticed one of our projects on your portfolio". Bad position to be in. Always best to just go ask the guys in the trailer. Sometimes I even find the permits posted on site and have gotten a few decision makers by calling those. A lot of times, they put their cell phones on the permits.

Well said.

I've gotten several contracts by checking out the permit box.

View attachment 57 I started off with construction (progress monitoring) by just asking superintendent/foreman if I could take aerial pictures and mapping of there site. I went around local sites and offered them the photos at no cost; some were excepting others were like,” beat it.” My intentions was to get a portfolio started and my website designed, and all the other logistics... so I didn’t care if I was shot down...needless to say months later I got some hits, and it’s been good so far...

I go out weekly to 3 construction sites, and take aerial stills (for 360x180pano) from different cardinal points around the structures, then send it to the client and they do the stitching(I can stitch as well...ptgui)

Construction is where it’s at, at least for me. Weekly shoots, mean getting paid weekly... and these jobs usually last A LOT longer than your typical RE shoot. Keep in mind I’m in San Jose, Ca. So construction is huge out here and access to Immediate approval from LAANC via airmap, helps out tremendously.

I’m using a P4Pro and I have I1 Pro x5 as a back up. My Mavic Pro does get some commercial work, but usually as b roll footage(used it for a few wedding shoots) sample vid

I also do a hand full of jobs on dronersio, believe it or not, I’ve managed to get a lot of gigs from...

Sorry for any typos, on my iPhone (spellcheck is a b!+€#)

Yeeeeah buddy! Nail on the head. Got to get out there and hustle man. Do a couple jobs for free for the ol portfolio then start charging.
It's good money for work that is consistent and all you need to do is set up some flight paths (I use litchi) then every time you go there hit record load the mission. She flies herself (but stay and watch lol I can't handle not being able to see the inspire 2 at any time). You can easily knock four jobs out in a day. I find if I get four of these a month, any other job is money towards my tesla

It is a matter of respect for others rather than of permission. When you show respect to others, even if you don't need permission, you are always taken more into account with the people in charge, who control everything that happens on the construction site. However, it can also become a security problem if there are people working.

On many occasions I have asked for permission to record and have been reticent and it is when I say "I really don't need permission to record but if you dont, i will not record, it would really help me if you'd let me" or something similar depending on the situation and explaining why you want the images. When they understand that they can't really stop it, they put their "conditions"in place, I don't want my face to come out, or please don't record this and that way you get "permission" and there is a beneficial agreement for you that can provide you with a client in the long run. They still may not like the idea and it's best not to record. Why make people angry at you? Good publicity is better than bad publicity. The key? To be kind and informative and to advertise yourself :)

Reactions: Outta Control
No it's not trespassing but when you come back to pitch the sale to them how do you explain flying around their construction site to get the data you've collected for them? How do you explain you was not given permission to fly from their website so you stepped next door and flew it anyway to "impress" them?

I would like to do more construction progress photography, but the job I do have is because I first photographed their project during the beginning phase and used those images that I gave to them at no charge as a means to promote my services, and they hired me to photograph that project regularly. I don't see any problem with impressing them in that way. That's how I intend to get more of this type of work.

I don't know if it's still done, but there were big companies that did aerial photos on speculation of all farms and businesses and then went door to door selling prints.

I'm not understanding how this is something that would bother a contractor. You're giving them the opportunity to evaluate your work on their own project and at no cost.

Reactions: Kristina Fowler
I would like to do more construction progress photography, but the job I do have is because I first photographed their project during the beginning phase and used those images that I gave to them at no charge as a means to promote my services, and they hired me to photograph that project regularly. I don't see any problem with impressing them in that way. That's how I intend to get more of this type of work.

I don't know if it's still done, but there were big companies that did aerial photos on speculation of all farms and businesses and then went door to door selling prints.

I'm not understanding how this is something that would bother a contractor. You're giving them the opportunity to evaluate your work on their own project and at no cost.
Those days they used airplanes high in the sky, non intrusive and still do! Drone is another matter for now. It's just not acceptable for someone flying around with out asking if it's ok. You might say it's being polite and I find most of the contractors don't mind. Courtesy goes a long way.;)

Reactions: Bad Karma
Those days they used airplanes high in the sky, non intrusive and still do! Drone is another matter for now. It's just not acceptable for someone flying around with out asking if it's ok. You might say it's being polite and I find most of the contractors don't mind. Courtesy goes a long way.;)

Not that high. Probably 500' and no more than 1000.' And some do or did that by helicopter and were probably at 400' or lower. I don't see how a drone is more "intrusive," especially when taking pictures of an industrial project for ten minutes on a weekend when nobody is there or working.

I took the photos, called the company and told them what I had and they called back and said, "sure we'd like to see what you have." They DIDN'T say, "you took photos of our project without our permission. How rude." They liked what I gave them, thanked me, and then asked about taking photos monthly. I would say I was not only not being rude, but being extremely courteous by being proactive and giving them something to look at and something they could use for free.

I don't accept your premise that this is "not acceptable."

I touched base with a local news rag. Flew a job on a construction site, Pro Bono for the newspaper. While there I ‘intecepted’ work from the construction company. Was gonna be there anyway, right. The other company never called back and they asked me if I’d handle it while there for the paper. I said yes.

Not that high. Probably 500' and no more than 1000.' And some do or did that by helicopter and were probably at 400' or lower. I don't see how a drone is more "intrusive," especially when taking pictures of an industrial project for ten minutes on a weekend when nobody is there or working.

I took the photos, called the company and told them what I had and they called back and said, "sure we'd like to see what you have." They DIDN'T say, "you took photos of our project without our permission. How rude." They liked what I gave them, thanked me, and then asked about taking photos monthly. I would say I was not only not being rude, but being extremely courteous by being proactive and giving them something to look at and something they could use for free.

I don't accept your premise that this is "not acceptable."

It seems you've got it all figured out so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: remys_drone
It seems you've got it all figured out so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I got nothin' figured out. I'm just sharing my opinion and experience, and I wanted to refute the implication that it was rude or discourteous to do something on spec. I am very courteous in my dealings with others, as I'm sure the other fellow here would be if he photographed a construction project without the permission he doesn't need. There are other ways to look at these things, and I think sometimes some of you guys come across as a little dogmatic, as if that's the way it has to be and if you don't do it that way you're rude or a bad businessman, etc. IMHO it would be better to soften it up a little and present it as opinion and not as a rule. Anyway, I have many times taken aerial photos on speculation. Sometimes it paid off well but mostly it wasn't worth the effort and I didn't make that many sales. But nobody ever criticized me for taking the pictures. They at least agreed to review the proofs and consider my offer.

But maybe contractors are different. Maybe I just got lucky and the next time they will give me a hard time. I'll admit that here if that happens. Meanwhile, it seems to me at this time that I have a stronger sales pitch with a photo of one of their projects than without one. MHO.

I got nothin' figured out. I'm just sharing my opinion and experience, and I wanted to refute the implication that it was rude or discourteous to do something on spec. I am very courteous in my dealings with others, as I'm sure the other fellow here would be if he photographed a construction project without the permission he doesn't need. There are other ways to look at these things, and I think sometimes some of you guys come across as a little dogmatic, as if that's the way it has to be and if you don't do it that way you're rude or a bad businessman, etc. IMHO it would be better to soften it up a little and present it as opinion and not as a rule. Anyway, I have many times taken aerial photos on speculation. Sometimes it paid off well but mostly it wasn't worth the effort and I didn't make that many sales. But nobody ever criticized me for taking the pictures. They at least agreed to review the proofs and consider my offer.

But maybe contractors are different. Maybe I just got lucky and the next time they will give me a hard time. I'll admit that here if that happens. Meanwhile, it seems to me at this time that I have a stronger sales pitch with a photo of one of their projects than without one. MHO.

It's not a personal attack, partner. There are always two ways of looking at things.

I don't know if you've worked in construction, I've done it for many years and I tell you what's common and what you think to be told about "discourteous". No matter how friendly and polite you are, in the work area there are some rules and one that is taken very seriously is to present yourself to the manager or site manager when you arrive. One of their jobs is to always know everything that happens in the work that they manage because they are responsible for all the personnel that is working on the site, even if they are from 30 different companies. They are legally responsible for everything that happens in the work area, it is not a joke and an education issue in itself.

Without showing up or asking permission, you get to fly over the building site, with people working and something happens, the first person responsible is the site manager. It doesn't matter if he is not guilty of anything, it is the person to whom all questions and responsibilities go. That's why you have to introduce yourself. It's not about you being able to do it legaly, it's about the implications for people who have not been informed.

Another thing is, weekend, there's no one working, you don't fly over the work doing the shots from the outside. Who's going to tell you anything?

I repeat, it's nothing personal that seems to be how you've taken it. It just works that way and to speak of "discourteous" is because there are many more implications behind it and it is a way of summarizing.

That's how I see it at least ;)

When I shot for the newspaper, I went to the job site and spoke with the govt. inspector and the project supt. It was a remote site/project with no traffic or public presence, as the road was shut down to replace a culvert crossing with precast box culverts, over 50 segments. Asked them if it were OK to take some pics using the drone. They were very accommodating. We had a chat on what I wanted to do and they blessed it. I briefed all workers in the area on my mission and should problems be encountered and I yell Bird Down, they need to take cover. All 107 rules were followed and I was onsite for about 2 hours, without incident. I don’t think they knew I was there most of the time. Went very smooth and the supt. was very satisfied.

Anywhere I shoot I ask permission from the property owner, mgr, and sometimes police. True, I don’t always have to ask permission, but I want someone knowing what I’m doing. I’m trying to promote the use of drones, in a safe manner, to my community.

Well, I think there is some middle ground here. No I wouldn't fly my drone over a construction site during a weekday while people are working without asking for permission. However, I don't see any problem with taking weekend photos. I probably would not fly through any structures or get too intimite with the subject, but I don't see the harm in taking some overall views and then calling the general contractor and informing them about the images and asking if they would like to view them. If that invokes a nasty response, I wouldn't want to work with them anyway, and nothing was lost. Also, whether legal or not, I would not post said photos as part of my portfolio without their permission.

Other people see it differently and I'm not going to tell them they are wrong or rude for deciding to conduct their business accordingly.

There are photos of where I live and where I used to live taken from the air and at ground level, courtesy of google, and they are available for anyone to see. They were taken without my permission. Yet I value the service they have provided. Maybe some people don't like it, but you can't please everyone.

It seems to me that having a few photos to present to a prospective client is a great marketing strategy.

Anyway, I did't take it personally but I just wanted to make the point that just because someone says you can't do this or that because it's rude and disrespectful and you must do it our way or you are hurting the drone industry, etc. etc., that that's an opinion stated as fact, and there is room for honest disagreement.

I understand where you are coming from, not everyone thinks as you do and not every one is polite. Life is what it is and very broad, as you well know. Don't assume what you would like it to be, IMO that's being one sided.:cool:

@aerialimagery It kind of seems like you're wanting to argue for argument's sake. Let's take this back to the first of this thread and digest it in order..

The OP stated:
'm wondering if I can just walk into a construction site and start flying without permission from the "boss".
We answered that was not a good idea and could be considered trespassing.

Then someone else stated:
But if you launch outside of the construction site do they control the airspace?
We answered no they don't control airspace but we are trying to WIN a client over so going against their permission to fly the site isn't going to win anyone over.

Then a few posts later you quote me and you state this (I'm leaving the majority out because it doesn't pertain to my reply here)
"I'm not understanding how this is something that would bother a contractor. You're giving them the opportunity to evaluate your work on their own project and at no cost.

The problem is you've taken this thread off track and completely missed the OPs questions and struggles. You've made this thread about you and what you're wanting to do and not really helping the OP's situation at all. He's trying to find out how to get permission etc

What we are trying to foster here is a professional and ethical way to gain business. Go around and make contact with the "Site Boss" and ask if they would be interested in some "Progression Images". Free or not that's up to you. We're just saying find the guy in charge and ask him. If they say NO then why jump through the hoops to fly anyway and take pictures when they probably aren't going to want them if they said NO to begin with.

For the record nothing I say in terms of my opinion is "The Rule" and if I come off dogmatic that's not my intention. But I can tell you what has worked for me from a lot of experience in this market day in and day out. I've seen others come and go trying to skirt the rules and get by the easy way. I kind of like when they do because that only makes my company look that much better when the client contacts me to do the real work.

I'll close with this... My way is not the only way but my way will win you jobs and contracts and my way will NOT get you into any legal problems or cause hard feelings with the Site Boss. As always YMMV.

That's called TRESPASSING and will get you nothing but hardship.
Big A which is the best way to output work to customers? I have done a few maps (maps made easy) which I can send link to customer so they can use the measurements tool etc,or hard copies ,just jpegs? looking to get into this field this y,r in Houston is lots of residential and commercial developments

Big A which is the best way to output work to customers? I have done a few maps (maps made easy) which I can send link to customer so they can use the measurements tool etc,or hard copies ,just jpegs? looking to get into this field this y,r in Houston is lots of residential and commercial developments

There are lots of options available and which one you use depends on what your clients is comfortable with.

We use HighTail as our cloud service and it works great.

Share files and collaborate on creative projects

Some clients want it physically on-site so for that we buy thumbdrives in bulk (and we get them logo'd).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku