Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Construction Progression of A Small House

lou101

Reaction score
I've just gotten my first construction progression gig for a single family house being built on 1 acre of land. What would be the best approach to cover yhe build: 1) Do a low altitude focused POI on the home over time or
2) Do a high altitude trucking shot around the perimeter of the property?
I'm planning to fly thr site weekly using Litchi. Suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The best approach is to ask your client what they expect/want from you. Anything else is potentially going to result in a disappoint from your clients.

Some of my clients want only cardinal point images. Some want a full array of pics to/from the home including Birds Eye shots. Some want just a single Orbit. Some want an approach video while some want a dramatic "Reveal" clip. In my last 9 years of doing this, no two clients have wanted exactly the same package. Give them options and charge accordingly.

Thanks for the advice BigA107. I didn't think about the possibility of giving the customer something he don't want. I'm planning a sit down to show customer some possibilities in order to find out what he had in mind versus what I had in mind. Thanks for helping prevent a potiential disaster.

Thanks for the advice BigA107. I didn't think about the possibility of giving the customer something he don't want. I'm planning a sit down to show customer some possibilities in order to find out what he had in mind versus what I had in mind. Thanks for helping prevent a potiential disaster.

Some additional (and similar points to consider):

1. Never assume you know what the client wants/needs. That will bite you in the tailfeathers more often than not.
  2. Don't suggest anything that you aren't 100% comfortable and capable of doing. If in doubt, tell them you'll look into that and let them know.
  3. Get the details in writing so that you're both on the same page and very little room for error in communications.

Some additional (and similar points to consider):

1. Never assume you know what the client wants/needs. That will bite you in the tailfeathers more often than not.
  2. Don't suggest anything that you aren't 100% comfortable and capable of doing. If in doubt, tell them you'll look into that and let them know.
  3. Get the details in writing so that you're both on the same page and very little room for error in communications.
Agreed, always important to have an agreed scope of works signed by both parties before starting.
Regards

Reactions: BigAl07
For a small house build, I'd lean towards the low altitude focused POI shots. They give a detailed progression over time, capturing the essence of the construction.

But how do you know what the CLIENT wants and is willing to pay for? When you're providing a product to a paying client you have 2 options:

1) Give them a list of your "routine" shots and have them agree to that list and $$.

2) Give them options and have them tell you what they expect and work out the $$.

Anything else could waste your time and give you a bad reputation in the industry.

He who pays the INVOICE gets to decide what products they need/want and more importantly what they are willing to give you $$ for.

Reactions: John Githens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM