Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Crashed Drone with Litchi

That's whay I asked to see it all and be able to look at the bigger picture.

Your first response - Thursday at 8:52 pm (my time) - said "Litchi would not have caused the issue."

Did you view the all the data before making that claim?

Your first response - Thursday at 8:52 pm (my time) - said "Litchi would not have caused the issue."
Did you view the all the data before making that claim?
Obviously I didn't.
But I know what Litchi does and what it can do (and what it can't)

But I know what Litchi does and what it can do (and what it can't)

No you don't. If you did then you would have provided more feedback on the screenshots.

Your comment...
Unfortunately a few snapshots of tiny parts of a huge spreadsheet aren't any use to someone investigating the incident.

Why didn't you provide your knowledge instead of writing these off?

I don't think you're here to help anyone but yourself.

No you don't. If you did then you would have provided more feedback on the screenshots.
I don't, huh?
Why didn't you provide your knowledge instead of writing these off?
I thought I'd addressed that above.
SInce I have a lot of experience investigating flight incidents, I understand what the full spreadsheet has to offer and I wasnted to see a lot more than those tiny snapshots.
I don't think you're here to help anyone but yourself.
Thanks for the character assessment.
I think you have no idea who you are talking to or anything about me or my expertise.
I'm also curious why you'd suggest that's I'm helping myself somehow when I've gone out of my way to solve the mystery for the OP.
How's that benefitted me?

Last edited:
SInce I have a lot of experience investigating flight incidents, I understand what the full spreadsheet has to offer and I wasnted to see a lot more than those tiny snapshots.

I'm also curious why you'd suggest that's I'm helping myself somehow when I've gone out of my way to solve the mystery for the OP.
How's that benefitted me?

No information other than your own has been offered to back that up. Care to share your flight incident reports, redacted of course ?

Helping yourself... putting yourself in a position of knowledge in this forum when you haven't really provided or shared any productive knowledge on this thread, only color commentary.

The screenshots are of great value for investigating the incident. Unfortunately, people who do not understand how to read the data make comments like this.
Interesting comment
The spreadsheet has 71 columns and 5386 rows = 382K cells of data.
The screenshot showed 15x21 cells or 0.08% of the spreadsheet and no column headings
Unfortunately, people who do not understand how to investigate drone flight incidents make comments like you have.

No information other than your own has been offered to back that up. Care to share your flight incident reports, redacted of course ?[
Helping yourself... putting yourself in a position of knowledge in this forum when you haven't really provided or shared any productive knowledge on this thread, only color commentary.
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this or why.
I responded to the OP shortly after his initial post and gave him the information he's need to find the answer to his question.
Since then, a number of others posted but none were able to answer the questions of the OP.
When he got around to posting the data, I promptly provided gave him with a full answer.

Then you come along, don't have anything to add to the OP's issue and haven't suggested there's any mistake in my assessment.
But you accuse me of not providing any productive knowledge on this thread, only color commentary.
And have made a series snarky comments casting aspersions on me although you know nothing about me and want me to explain myself to you?
Who are you to do this?

My only answer for you is:
I suppose I'd be wasting my time asking for an apology?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks but as someone that has investigated a few hundred flight incidents, I know that the spreadsheet shows lots more than a few tiny snapshots of just some of the data.
That's whay I asked to see it all and be able to look at the bigger picture.
The tool used is one of many I've seen or read on. Do you recommend or suggest other tools that also examine log or telemetry files?

Any local installed programs that work and have nice features?

The tool used is one of many I've seen or read on. Do you recommend or suggest other tools that also examine log or telemetry files?
Phantomhelp log viewer is the quickest and simplest and sorts out most issues.
There are other programs if you need to dig deeper into .dat files.
CSVview and Datcon are the most commonly used ones.
You can find them here: DJI Phantom 4 Accessories & Tips | Phantom Help

Reactions: BigAl07

Here ya go....

What was the RTH altitude you programmed in the app and what was the highest obstruction in the area you are/were flying? Without having been there, looking at the log seems to indicate operator error. Your RTH altitude never exceeded your flight altitude.

What was the RTH altitude you programmed in the app and what was the highest obstruction in the area you are/were flying? Without having been there, looking at the log seems to indicate operator error. Your RTH altitude never exceeded your flight altitude.
Because Litchi was used, the RTH height is not shown in the flight data.
But as the tree branches that were hit at 20-30 feet were lower than the default (and lowest possible) RTH height, it wouldn't matter whatever height was set.

Because Litchi was used, the RTH height is not shown in the flight data.
But as the tree branches that were hit at 20-30 feet were lower than the default (and lowest possible) RTH height, it wouldn't matter whatever height was set.

Or in other words, thinking with parts not meant to be used for thinking... at least with a UAS you walk away with only a ding to your pride.

It definitely looks/sounds like we've gotten to the bottom of this little mystery. Hopefully many will learn from this mistake and grow from it.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and offered help.

Safe Flights,
Allen

Any local installed programs that work and have nice features?

Instead of an 'app' to tell you what you did wrong (maybe) you need to focus on flight planning ahead of time and doing your due diligence in planning a flight completely to remove any reasonable chance of a mishap. You also need to question your actions and consider the possibilities BEFORE you commit. I add the previous line from my own experience learned the hard way. I knew the job was a bad idea but I did it anyway and paid the price for it...a new sponson, and new motor, and four new props. Even the best planning can be tossed out the window with one bad call to do something stupid. It happened to me.

Reactions: PatR
Good points in R.Martin’s post. A large part of flight planning is assessing what could go wrong and making allowances or modifications to the route to prevent them from happening before a flight ever leaves the ground.

All,
I was in the area doing another job not related. I suggested Litchi and he tried it. I was feeling like it was something I recommended and the app caused the issue. I appreciate the guidance in getting the log and you guys clarification on the log. It puts my mind at ease that it was not something I suggested and more operator error. I am very careful in planning and flights. What happened was he moved locations and went to land with overhead obstructions. It went out of control because of RTH and the obstructions. Not by an issue caused by Litchi. It was not a good feeling after saying how well something has been working.
I have been able to get a wonderful tablet and also alot of guidance on this forum. I truly appreciate it because one could simply hoard their knowledge and let others learn by trial and error. Not all people do that. I personally appreciate the ones that do!

Experience is the best education there is and by sharing our experiences we reduce the cost of what gives us experience.

Instead of an 'app' to tell you what you did wrong (maybe) you need to focus on flight planning ahead of time and doing your due diligence in planning a flight completely to remove any reasonable chance of a mishap. You also need to question your actions and consider the possibilities BEFORE you commit. I add the previous line from my own experience learned the hard way. I knew the job was a bad idea but I did it anyway and paid the price for it...a new sponson, and new motor, and four new props. Even the best planning can be tossed out the window with one bad call to do something stupid. It happened to me.
Pardon? I'm not looking for what I did wrong, I'm inquiring about a nice log & telemetry app.
Make your comments, but don't make accusations.... not warranted, not valid and not appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken, this whole thread was on an incident and various chatter about craft or pilot cause and it was a "app" that helped clarify the flight. Being able to review is another method to evaluate and gain experience in some fashion.

Last edited:
I'm kind of a simple guy and like the KISS principle when it comes to people with diverse backgrounds and experience.

RTH was triggered while it was under a tree and at low altitude. Drone attempted to clime to it's RTH altitude and found the tree, not once but twice.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the flight data is tremendous and can give us a wealth of information. The OP just wanted to know why his drone crashed, I think that question has been answered.

I'm kind of a simple guy and like the KISS principle when it comes to people with diverse backgrounds and experience.

RTH was triggered while it was under a tree and at low altitude. Drone attempted to clime to it's RTH altitude and found the tree, not once but twice.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the flight data is tremendous and can give us a wealth of information. The OP just wanted to know why his drone crashed, I think that question has been answered.
Couldn't agree more... OP had a concern it was due to his recommendation of Litchi and via an app and experience to examine flight data, helped determine the cause and ease OP's conscious. All Good!

Couldn't agree more... OP had a concern it was due to his recommendation of Litchi and via an app and experience to examine flight data, helped determine the cause and ease OP's conscious. All Good!
Yup!!! Nailed it on the head!!....fwiw...I was not on the sticks...and did not crash my drone....lol.... Doug recapped it perfectly!! Having such success with Litchi, I felt terrible when it happened on his first flight with Litchi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM