Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Crystal Sky monitor question

S F Ogden

Reaction score
I shot a project this weekend and during editing realized that my 63 year old eyes, tiny screen, and bright sun is not an optimum combination. . . Results were fine but I realize that had I seen better I'd have made a lot of different choices on framing what to highlight. So I'm about to pull the trigger one of the larger CS monitors. In my research I've seen comments about repeated screen failures last summer/fall. What has been your experience? I just spoke to a salesman at DJI store in Denver & he said he didn't know of any failures. What do know?

I have the small CS also. Sometimes I wish I had the large one but then think is the extra weight and size of the CS and mount worth lugging around. I only use my 5.5 if I can't find any shade to hide under otherwise I use my Ipad mini 4 or Ipad pro. I do prefer IOS to Android as far as the Drone apps are concerned and the size and weight of the Ipads are nice.

I shot a project this weekend and during editing realized that my 63 year old eyes, tiny screen, and bright sun is not an optimum combination. . . Results were fine but I realize that had I seen better I'd have made a lot of different choices on framing what to highlight. So I'm about to pull the trigger one of the larger CS monitors. In my research I've seen comments about repeated screen failures last summer/fall. What has been your experience? I just spoke to a salesman at DJI store in Denver & he said he didn't know of any failures. What do know?

There were some isolated issues with the Crystalsky monitors mostly the UB models. Those were replaced by DJI under warranty, the newer replacements appear to be holding up well.

Pix4D and Litchi can be used on the CS as well as several other apps.

There were some isolated issues with the Crystalsky monitors mostly the UB models. Those were replaced by DJI under warranty, the newer replacements appear to be holding up well.

Will CS run MME's Map Pilot app?

Does the CS overheat & disconnect/freeze like the ipad mini4?

Does the CS overheat & disconnect/freeze like the ipad mini4?

No not like the iPad mini 4. The iPads heat up and shut down due to actually being overheated by high ambient air temperature. Some of the Ultra bright Crystalsky had issues probably not related to high ambient air temps but that has been addressed by DJI. I personally switched to an iPad Pro after seeing my iPad mini 4 do as you mentioned.

I am still waiting for the iPad Mini Pro with the high-nit screen of the CS and a faster processor in hopes it will have better heat sinking...

I am fearful of saying it, but with the latest firmware update my CS UB is operating normally... Previous to that, I had almost given up and gone back to using an IPad, which while stable, I find so much more difficult to work with,even with hood. The CS is incredibly bright and I like the interchangeable battery situation. I hope that it remains stable.

As for Apps, I did install Litchi, but had issues with my video feed. To be honest, I have not spent enough time on the App with the CS to pass any final judgement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN