Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DaVinci media offline on 4k 60fps upload

Reaction score
Website
www.cascadedroneography.com
I filmed and tried importing a 2.4g video into DaVinci today and encountered a media offline error. Odd thing is, I uploaded other videos in the exact same manner successfully just yesterday. This file is significantly larger, but I know DaVinci should be more than capable of importing large files.

In researching, I've come across an article suggesting I need to install the Microsoft HEVC Video Extension. But this doesn't make sense because the system didn't balk at my uploads yesterday. Very confusing. Any ideas?
I searched the forums for DaVinci errors but couldn't find anything.

Was the previous import shot in H.265? That is what the HEVC extension is for. High frame rates on some drones can only be shot in H.265 but most everything else will be able to be filmed in H.264. Once you shoot a high frame rate on these models, you will need to go back and manually change it back to H.264.
H.265 is a more compressed format that some machines have a tough time editing but as long as you are not having dropped frames, you shouldn't need to use proxies.
If you shot normal on the first import then shot at say 4K/60, then your codec would've changed to H.265 (and you would get no notification that it's happening).

Reactions: cascadedroneguy
Your theory makes perfect sense, and that is most likely what happened. I have been using the H.265 until the first time I tried rendering my video file for publishing and found it to be almost 2.5gb! I have been processing them for YouTube format and they have been fine for my social media sites. When it comes to processing for clients, I will use one of the other formats.

My laptop is struggling with the video sourced from my Air 2s. I have to use a proxy on every clip. I am looking at getting an HP Envy I7 17.3". It has 32gb of RAM and considerably more hard drive space for a cost point considerably less than an Apple and is highly rated. That, and I've recently started using Davinci Resolve.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
FWIW, the new Apple M-Chips will do more with less memory than PC machines, it's a more efficient chip. In the past I had an M1 Mac Mini with only 8GB of RAM and it will play back 4K/60fps footage with no dropped frames at full resolution in Da Vinci Resolve. Premiere Pro is a bit less efficient but I mainly use Resolve anyhow.
The M-Chip machines however can't be upgraded later, what you buy as far as RAM is what you're stuck with but I have several older Macs that are over 10 years old (iMac and Macbook Pros) that will still do most anything else except struggle with H.265 footage so they will last a long time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM