Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Dilemma and I'd appreciate some helpful advice...

Dan AISCF

Reaction score
Website
www.aiscforlando.com
[EDITED TO CLARIFY SOME POINTS] Sorry this is so TL: DR...

Ok, here goes. Back in November I purchased a Phantom 4 Standard from the PhantomPilots classifieds. Came with EVERYTHING imaginable: 3 batts, manfrotto backpack, filters, multicharger, etc, etc. I bought it because I plan on getting my 107 and starting to add Aerial Services to our thriving DJ business. Although quite entertaining, I could tell after a month I'd outgrow it and need something more professional for the high-end clients my wife and I already began lining up for after the test.

So, fast forward to last month. I began looking at Inspire 1's, but was told by quite a few that I should leave the older model Inspire alone and look into something else. I really wanted something to "impress" clients with, because, as we all know, perception is reality to many. I have learned this in the DJ'ing business... BIGGER is better (so it's thought), although I can do the same thing and have nearly the same look and sound with a smaller system, but I digress. So, with a piddly $2000 budget, I began looking into Phantom 4 Pro's (ALL of them) and thought I had it figured out. I'd get a P4P+, with multiple batts (can't have too many batteries), range extenders for better video transmission, weather-proof wheeled case. I'd get a Sony mirrorless camera and a DJI stabilizer. All in all, only a $2000 investment. Although hard to come by, Drone Trader and our Local FB Marketplace has quite a few in my price-range. Well, now here is where the advice and thoughts come in. I might be able to close the deal on an Inspire 2, X5S, 4 batts, 4 batt cylinder-type charger, 2 spare sets of props, ND Filters, and extra case for $2000! I'm thinking this is a steal.

Our clients, for after I get my 107, are all realtors that sell multi-million dollar properties. We plan to branch out into many more types of markets: Construction, surveying, Commercial applications, even some Television commercial work and Videos. So I'm thinking I'd love to upgrade to an X7 and also a thermal camera, when/if we expand.

My dilemma is, with what we are initially focusing on, does it make sense to forgo the whole Phantom and Camera route and perhaps do the I2 and use an Osmo, or instead, is the Phantom 4 Pro powerful and professional enough to, not only impress (initially and visually), but be a truly professional workhorse. I know I might be talking to a slightly biased crowd (lol), but I welcome all thoughts - especially from those that do drone work professionally.
THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Here is my two cents. I fly both the Inspire 2, and Phantom 4, both are great, but the Inspire 2 is a much better platform for photography and video. I'm using the X5 camera with 15mm lens and the photo quality is exceptional. The beauty of the Inspire two is the dual control, meaning you can fly it while someone else controls the camera. Or set up autonomous flights and control the camera yourself, you do need at minimum a qualified observer to do that safely.

If perception is a factor for you, the Inspire 2 blows the Phantom away in my opinion.

I strongly recommend that you do no commercial work with a drone until you get your 107, mainly because it is illegal and secondly by getting your 107 you will learn the laws, airspace restrictions, a little about weather, and a few other things that will help you be a responsible and successful pilot.

Here is my two cents. I fly both the Inspire 2, and Phantom 4, both are great, but the Inspire 2 is a much better platform for photography and video. I'm using the X5 camera with 15mm lens and the photo quality is exceptional. The beauty of the Inspire two is the dual control, meaning you can fly it while someone else controls the camera. Or set up autonomous flights and control the camera yourself, you do need at minimum a qualified observer to do that safely.

If perception is a factor for you, the Inspire 2 blows the Phantom away in my opinion.

I strongly recommend that you do no commercial work with a drone until you get your 107, mainly because it is illegal and secondly by getting your 107 you will learn the laws, airspace restrictions, a little about weather, and a few other things that will help you be a responsible and successful pilot.

You are the type of pilot I'm glad to hear from (owning both). Indeed, sir, I am currently studying for my 107. Got a class and, 27 hours in, still learning. Picked up a few practice test apps off the AppStore as well for after I'm done with all the part 107 course videos (over 120+). Would NEVER EVER sign clients and do work, until I have my 107. I have a lot of personal videos and whatnot. My friends laugh at me because I'm SO by the book with my flying. I tell 'em all that this will be a branch of my business and HAS TO BE taken seriously. I'll clarify that in my initial post. :) Since my budget is only a little over $2000 AND the I2 is spot on, AND I might not see that deal in a while, I'm leaning towards it. I really want to be able to get an X7 and Thermal in the future when our business expands.

The I2 is a much better videographer's platform for several reasons (stability, sensor options, etc.) and is still being manufactured. The phantom 4 is less expensive, but it is also at end of life. I would not recommend getting into the industry with EOL product, rather get a good deal on I2 solution, and purchase additional sensors when able.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
The I2 is a much better videographer's platform for several reasons (stability, sensor options, etc.) and is still being manufactured. The phantom 4 is less expensive, but it is also at end of life. I would not recommend getting into the industry with EOL product, rather get a good deal on I2 solution, and purchase additional sensors when able.

Thank you much for the insight. I greatly appreciate it!

I am seeing this a lot lately. Might explain why nobody has them in stock.
Nobody has them in stock because DJI mysteriously stopped production back at the end of October.
Although they haven't been producing them, they have not made any announcement about the Pr pro V2 reaching EOL.
EOL or not, there's nothing better in it's size range and it's lower price and easy portability make it a machine seriously worth considering and a very handy drone for most jobs.
The presumed appeal to clients would be the last thing I'd consider (if at all).
If I was going pro, I wouldn't want to have just a single expensive machine.
If it's out of service, so are you.

Nobody has them in stock because DJI mysteriously stopped production back at the end of October.
Although they haven't been producing them, they have not made any announcement about the Pr pro V2 reaching EOL.
EOL or not, there's nothing better in it's size range and it's lower price and easy portability make it a machine seriously worth considering and a very handy drone for most jobs.
The presumed appeal to clients would be the last thing I'd consider (if at all).
If I was going pro, I wouldn't want to have just a single expensive machine.
If it's out of service, so are you.

Thanks again Meta4 for your insight (here in and in PhantomPilots), I really appreciate it. Lots to think about.

You should concentrate on flying skills that can make a better impression rather than the type of UAV used.
IMHO: just because a person can pass and obtain a 107, doesn't translate to flying ability. Until the FAA can create a practical test, all persons have to do is buy a UAV and open up for business. BTW real estate drone business is very competitive and cut-throat.

You should concentrate on flying skills that can make a better impression rather than the type of UAV used.
IMHO: just because a person can pass and obtain a 107, doesn't translate to flying ability. Until the FAA can create a practical test, all persons have to do is buy a UAV and open up for business. BTW real estate drone business is very competitive and cut-throat.

I agree with you, totally. That is why I fly every single day (Sunny Florida) and practice all maneuvers nonstop, without use of intelligent flight modes and tricks. I also learned DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, Lightroom and Photoshop, prior, in preparation for when we "open", and have ton a ton of videos as practice - not to mention we do, thankfully, have 2 professional editors on board for when we open. I have heard concerns about the saturated and competitive RE market, but thankfully, all of our future clients are either family friends or previous business associates (all of which are committed), so that hurdle is almost non-existent. I've regularly seen posts about every tom **** and harry getting a drone and thinking they could open a thriving business. Having studied drones, the industry, forums, etc for nearly 2 years prior to deciding to start out, and coming up with an extremely detailed and exhaustive business plan, I decided early on I would NOT be one of those guys. As a full time programmer (day Job), I have to be able to learn and apply various solutions and methodology quickly, to remain relevant and I intend to do the same thing with our drone work.

I do appreciate your thoughts and joining this discussion! Thank you

I agree with you, totally. That is why I fly every single day (Sunny Florida) and practice all maneuvers nonstop, without use of intelligent flight modes and tricks. I also learned DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, Lightroom and Photoshop, prior, in preparation for when we "open", and have ton a ton of videos as practice - not to mention we do, thankfully, have 2 professional editors on board for when we open. I have heard concerns about the saturated and competitive RE market, but thankfully, all of our future clients are either family friends or previous business associates (all of which are committed), so that hurdle is almost non-existent. I've regularly seen posts about every tom **** and harry getting a drone and thinking they could open a thriving business. Having studied drones, the industry, forums, etc for nearly 2 years prior to deciding to start out, and coming up with an extremely detailed and exhaustive business plan, I decided early on I would NOT be one of those guys. As a full time programmer (day Job), I have to be able to learn and apply various solutions and methodology quickly, to remain relevant and I intend to do the same thing with our drone work.

I do appreciate your thoughts and joining this discussion! Thank you
No thank you for sharing thoughts and ideas. I am in the Tampa Bay area, you in Orlando. Interested in a flying skills test we developed in Tampa ?

No thank you for sharing thoughts and ideas. I am in the Tampa Bay area, you in Orlando. Interested in a flying skills test we developed in Tampa ?
A flying skills test??? Awesome. I love this Drone thing and anything I can do to test or be a part of, I'm up for. I have a buddy that just started flying in Tampa, he might be interested as well. Feel free to shoot me an email with details. -> danbayne at gmail dot com

When you're working out equipment purchases and budget keep in mind "extras" you'll need/want such as batteries, additional chargers, carrying case, spare components, lens, filters.....

We've helped several Public Safety Dept set up their sUAS program (granted they want extras for their extras LOL) we usually try to budget somewhere around the same price as the aircraft for extra equipment. Our last aircraft purchase came in like this (roughly):

Aircraft $1800
Thermal Camera $1900
Extra Batteries, Case, Props, Additional Charger, Night Illumination $1100
$4800 shipped to our office.​

Also as @Meta4 elluded to you want to have SPARES. The rule of thumb in business in terms of equipment:
1 is none and 2 is one!!

This rule of thumb has kept us working on several occasions when "Murphy's Law" comes into play. You don't want to call that GREAT client on a one off type of shoot and say, "Sorry we can't shoot today because our aircraft has a hiccup and we are grounded."

Redundancy is your friend (except to your wallet LOL)

When you're working out equipment purchases and budget keep in mind "extras" you'll need/want such as batteries, additional chargers, carrying case, spare components, lens, filters.....

We've helped several Public Safety Dept set up their sUAS program (granted they want extras for their extras LOL) we usually try to budget somewhere around the same price as the aircraft for extra equipment. Our last aircraft purchase came in like this (roughly):

Aircraft $1800
Thermal Camera $1900
Extra Batteries, Case, Props, Additional Charger, Night Illumination $1100
$4800 shipped to our office.​

Also as @Meta4 elluded to you want to have SPARES. The rule of thumb in business in terms of equipment:
1 is none and 2 is one!!

This rule of thumb has kept us working on several occasions when "Murphy's Law" comes into play. You don't want to call that GREAT client on a one off type of shoot and say, "Sorry we can't shoot today because our aircraft has a hiccup and we are grounded."

Redundancy is your friend (except to your wallet LOL)
Thank you!

Reactions: BigAl07
Since our company just crashed one of their Inspire 1. Replacing it with an Inspire 2 pro with X5 camera, 16 batteries and cases is about $13,500.00 plus tax. That is why many folks stick with the Phantom. So if you can get a good Inspire 2 for two grand, that is a very good deal. Personally it sounds like too good of a deal, so make sure it is in good shape.

Since our company just crashed one of their Inspire 1. Replacing it with an Inspire 2 pro with X5 camera, 16 batteries and cases is about $13,500.00 plus tax. That is why many folks stick with the Phantom. So if you can get a good Inspire 2 for two grand, that is a very good deal. Personally it sounds like too good of a deal, so make sure it is in good shape.

Thanks for the advice. Now my head is really swimming, between the comments here, on PhantomPilots and InspirePilots. Someone in the Inspire boards who uses the P4P, I2 and Mavic 2 Pro actually suggested a M2P, says he uses it all the time over all of his other drones, for professional work. My only fear with the I2 is dropping 2 grand and it be a scam or a bust. IF it were up and up and worked well and it broke, or whatever, technically, I guess I could use my P4 in a pinch. LOTS to think about here...

One thing I learned about starting a business is whatever you think it is going to cost to get started, just double it. Number on reason for business failures is being under funded.

I wish you the best of luck.

One thing I learned about starting a business is whatever you think it is going to cost to get started, just double it. Number on reason for business failures is being under funded.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the insight R.Perry. I have to agree with you, sadly. When I started my DJ'ing side job, I budgeted 3 grand to start, 9 grand later, here I am where I initially wanted to be in the early stages sigh. I would LOVE for my initial start up funds to be small, but I know they won't be and I'm actually "preparing" to double my initial budget come next week. WE will see. Again, thanks for hopping in on this head scratcher!

All, thanks for your participation in this thread. I really do appreciate all the input.

I decided to get a P4P+ (basically brand new), with a few batteries from a local drone pilot a couple hours from me. I also picked up a Sony a6000 and Zhiyun Weebill Lab Creator. All in all, I am pretty happy and looking forward to getting my 107 and starting up on this ever-growing client list! Thanks guys...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN