Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Conferences

Florida Drone Supply

Reaction score
INTERGEO is coming to a close today and AirWorks is happening next weekend.

Any speculation on what will be upcoming in the drone world?

Anyone else attending these conferences?
Michael, one of the FDS partners will be attending AirWorks.

Reactions: Ilan Yusim
I have not attended, but I consider AirWorks just a way for DJI to promote themselves at user's expense. It would be interesting to hear some objective commentary on it's value to the typical commercial op.

INTERGEO is coming to a close today and AirWorks is happening next weekend.

Any speculation on what will be upcoming in the drone world?

Anyone else attending these conferences?

Brandon Packman from the SkyWatch.AI team will be there.
It will be great to connect.

So, does Michael consider the presentations at AirWorks to fall under the category "sales pitch and product suggestion" or more "need to know to excel at commercial uas ops" ?

Sale pitch is fine if THEY are paying, not so much if YOU are.

So, does Michael consider the presentations at AirWorks to fall under the category "sales pitch and product suggestion" or more "need to know to excel at commercial uas ops" ?

Sale pitch is fine if THEY are paying, not so much if YOU are.
I understand your concerns, but we definitely find it to be a valuable event.

There is some "need to know" information. There are speakers from all industries who talk about utilizing drones in their professions, it is also a great networking event. In our line of business, we find it important to attend and we always learn something new or hear great cases of utilizing drones in new and unexpected ways.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Thanks for your response and experience.

Industry events have a long history. Yes, networking can be valuable but I think that should be a side benefit to these events. If the event is primarily going to be a place for companies to showcase their product and/or service, then the fee to attend should be nominal as the primary beneficiaries are those "presenting". This is the way it has been historically. Generally, there is a stated fee to attend, but there are many ways around the fee, especially through one of those actually paying for the event; The vendors.

This scheme seems to be changing with the drone industry and maybe others that I don't follow. Now, we are seeing the "customers" being asked to fork over larger and larger fees for the opportunity to hear about the latest gear or use-case examples. And of course, the opportunity to "network".

By contrast, there are training opportunities out there where you pay a high fee (sometimes not any higher than the for-mentioned conferences), but you actually get information or training that very well could further your operational development. AND, you get to network with similar minded and positioned folks as a side benefit.

I just think that we, as a group, should push back and be critical when attempts are made to separate us from our wallet without clear and objective benefits. Make no mistake, I enjoy hanging out with the new tech and all of you guys as much as the next person. I just don't think that we need to be subsidizing the big players in order to do that. Traveling to, and lodging at a venue, not to mention lost income for some of us while we're away, is costly enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM