Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Drones and magnetic and electrical fields from power lines?

RamSchulz

Reaction score
Hallo forum!

Do any of you have experience with flying surveys of power lines and transformer stations?

We have got an inquiry for such a job in DK.

Someone told me, that our M210 RTK v. 1 would not make the job when flying 15 m away from installations.

What do you say?

Thanks in advance!

Hallo forum!

Do any of you have experience with flying surveys of power lines and transformer stations?

We have got an inquiry for such a job in DK.

Someone told me, that our M210 RTK v. 1 would not make the job when flying 15 m away from installations.

What do you say?

Thanks in advance!
Where I live I have high tension power lines behind my house. I have flown my mavic air numerous times over and under the lines without a problem. I have also flown a Matrice 200 over them just doing a test flight without any noticeable problems. It was for only short flights and I crossed over them at a 90 angle. I was not doing mapping.

One a side note when I had the septic company try and locate my tank it appeared the power lines affected his instrument to the extent that he couldn't use it. Initially he was approx 30' away and the closer he got to the lines the worse his instrument got.

So maybe I just lucky when flying near them.

Where I live I have high tension power lines behind my house. I have flown my mavic air numerous times over and under the lines without a problem. I have also flown a Matrice 200 over them just doing a test flight without any noticeable problems. It was for only short flights and I crossed over them at a 90 angle. I was not doing mapping.

One a side note when I had the septic company try and locate my tank it appeared the power lines affected his instrument to the extent that he couldn't use it. Initially he was approx 30' away and the closer he got to the lines the worse his instrument got.

So maybe I just lucky when flying near them.
Thank you Mavic Mac.
Maybe they are not that sensible to fields from power lines.

When we did high voltage lines, nothing less than an Inspire1 was allowed. It and the Inspire2 performed well until we did 500KVA lines from a nuclear power plant. Nothing less than a Matrice 200 was capable. A 45mm lens was required to keep a safe distance and focus on the subject.
If you're doing extremely high voltage, nothing less than the M200. The I1 is obsolete with short flight times. The best pilots always used the I2 and M2's or better, but I've encountered problems with my I2, as GPS will drop out, but aircraft control is maintained as normal.
I do know other crews that allowed phantoms and mavics, but I'm sure the super high voltages would render them useless.
Denmark? If we weren't banned from all countries, thanks to our awesome leadership, I'd be on a plane to help tomorrow....one way!

Last edited:
Thank you Deltadave!
I guess, we will do the flight with our M210 RTK keeping a distance of 10 - 15 m from the towers, powerlines and transformer stations with 132 kV, and we will combine the drone survey with the land meter survey with laser scanner to get a united picture/model.

Yeah, I am following closely your great forum - getting inspired from all your cases and comments! Thank you to you all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91