Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Geolock SUCKS!

I agree that for licensed 107 pilots who operate frequently in an area that's limited by a DJI Geofenced NFZ, there should be a way to permanently unlock it. Especially in a busy metro area, where there are a lot of them, and you not only have a license but also CoA's and/or reliable LAANC approvals and you're trying to run a business.

That being said, it's just another planning step. In addition to checking the UAS Facilities map, check the DJI NFZ site as well, and if your intended flight area is in one, or close to one, go ahead and unlock it, sync it to the controller and aircraft, in advance. You can do them pretty far out and they're good for 3 days once activated. Any given week I have maybe a dozen unlocks loaded up for the coming week's missions. No big deal. I have yet to be grounded when I've properly prepared in advance. (as all missions are)

If you're in the "I don't want a Chinese company telling me where to fly"...well, no answer for that other than find another brand. There are lots out there to choose from.

Another issue with DJI NFZ is accuracy and current data. You can unlock normally in pre-schedule or on-site. But if there is old data, it can prevent any unlocks. I had a Jail on DJI NFZ, the jail was closed 4-5 yrs prior and land was a new business. Could not unlock until several steps on my end to prove to DJI the Jail was gone... still took over 1 week to get an unlock code... it'll be 1-2 yrs to update DJI NFZ data.

While on Jails Hard Lock, the distance of a hard no-fly lock is ridiculous DJI self imposed restriction. I've had issues flying a construction site more than 6-10 blocks away from a City Jail and yet another type of Jail... USMS Jail, Prison, etc normally doesn't block anything from any distance.

Yeah this needing an internet connection to get around some of the Geofencing and sending DJI employees proof of a LAANC authorization for the other is bogus. Next drone upgrade probably won't be a DJI for this reason, this is absurd. I don't personally care how they justify it or whether it stops newbie flyers from doing something they're not supposed to, the fact that there is no way to completely disable it is rotten.
This is everyone's pain point with DJI and the reason why we have many professionals (among other reasons) switching to Autel. The new Autel 640T with the just released smart controller is a fantastic solution.

Had a job to do close to an uncontrolled airport (class G airspace) that was Geolocked on the DJI website. I went through the process and to be safe "unlocked" 2 drones, a Mavic Pro and a P3P. As I was walking out the door I had a not-so-good feeling about the whole thing and took my Typhoon H along as well. Turns out the Typhoon H was a life saver as both DJI drones were turned into bricks. I was later told that DJI had some server issues and that was probably the cause.

I like DJI products but their Geolock system sucks!
Mhm we all do

We have been having serious issues with on site time delays due to DJI geofencing. We have never had problems like this. After a battery change we proceed to unlock again and it keeps saying Authentication failed over and over. Sometimes for 10 minutes and other times for 30 minutes. Part of this contract we cannot have the tablets on the internet, but no way to unlock. We only have 5 more days we can use DJI equipment on this contract, so things will change. It has gotten to the point that I am building out some custom equipment for my own business. I will probably keep my inspire 1 or my M100 but no new commercial grade DJI for me.

We have been having serious issues with on site time delays due to DJI geofencing. We have never had problems like this. After a battery change we proceed to unlock again and it keeps saying Authentication failed over and over. Sometimes for 10 minutes and other times for 30 minutes. Part of this contract we cannot have the tablets on the internet, but no way to unlock. We only have 5 more days we can use DJI equipment on this contract, so things will change. It has gotten to the point that I am building out some custom equipment for my own business. I will probably keep my inspire 1 or my M100 but no new commercial grade DJI for me.
You might be a good candidate for the IF750 when it comes time to replace the M100.

@Aerial Edge if using I1 for XT, this isn't a good solution. If a good value on I2 can be found, the I2 NDL FW removes all issues and doesn't require the NDL GoApp. Not a bad solution for $40 if using accustomed 3rd party apps with DJI platform.

If prompted at all, you'll get the screen acknowledgement only.. usually it presents no prompt. But the need to get DJI NFZ clearance is totally removed.

I personally went with Autel because of these restrictions. I don’t want anyone from another country governing my income or lack of. I started with DJI MP and love it. However, being restricted turned me off. Now with night flights and OOP affective, and certified to do so, flying is truly looking up.

You might be a good candidate for the IF750 when it comes time to replace the M100.
That looks like a nice system. I am currently building a second platform that is NDAA 2021 Compliant. This system will have some added options that will make it pretty comparable to the IF750. I am working on a couple of things that I cannot talk about as of yet. We are now past the DJI deadline for work and the Interm drone they want us to use will not work. It is far from a useable option for us. Not sure what is going to play out on the day job. Im keeping my head down and keeping my concentration on my business and what I can control.

Reactions: Volatus Drones
@Aerial Edge if using I1 for XT, this isn't a good solution. If a good value on I2 can be found, the I2 NDL FW removes all issues and doesn't require the NDL GoApp. Not a bad solution for $40 if using accustomed 3rd party apps with DJI platform.

If prompted at all, you'll get the screen acknowledgement only.. usually it presents no prompt. But the need to get DJI NFZ clearance is totally removed.
I plan on keeping my I1 mainly for the X5 capabilities, I got this platform so cheap it makes sense to keep it for now. Most of what I do is Infrastructure inspection at the moment so some of my custom built drones are going to fill that. Not running a thermal sensor for now. When I had one I could not get enough thermal work to justify the cost.

I'm late to the party here, but just try to fly a DJI item in a zone with multiple unlocks. I had a Phantom IV pro as primary. Now, I use an Autel Evo II Pro and the Phantom is the backup unless the customer specifically calls for it (or for mapping).

I live in an area with many types of airspace comingled and a lot of times, the Phantom just will not fly and when it does and detects the other airspace, takes over and lands (you have no stick control), no matter what it happens to be over at the time (roads, people walking by etc, I was lucky, was over an empty field). When it did that to me, it was an underwear soiling moment, compounded by the fact that I had limited time authorized in the airspace.

The last job I did was Class D with one of DJI's "runway zones" crossing the area I was going to fly. The "runway" was actually a hospital landing pad, not a runway, but you had to unlock it like one. No way to fly the Phantom there.

Just wish the EVO had a mechanical shutter.

Reactions: dougcjohn
@Rob Hodges Can relate to the frustrations! And... enjoyed the chuckle on the "soil" humor!

Just for reference, the NLD patch for $40 will completely remove NFZ and other limitations under the most current P4P / P4Pv2 FW. It's then up to the Pilot as with other Brands. I haven't heard or found any negative, and all 3rd Party Apps and native DJI Go Apps work flawlessly.

Something to consider if wanting the Mech Shutter or P4P for various jobs!
Often has sales 10-40%, I'd assume one for Memorial Day Holiday.

@Rob Hodges Can relate to the frustrations! And... enjoyed the chuckle on the "soil" humor!

Just for reference, the NLD patch for $40 will completely remove NFZ and other limitations under the most current P4P / P4Pv2 FW. It's then up to the Pilot as with other Brands. I haven't heard or found any negative, and all 3rd Party Apps and native DJI Go Apps work flawlessly.

Something to consider if wanting the Mech Shutter or P4P for various jobs!
Often has sales 10-40%, I'd assume one for Memorial Day Holiday.
still no support for M200 though :mad:

still no support for M200 though :mad:
I'd agree... I exchanged a few emails with David. He indicated they're getting close on M600Pro patch (3rd attempt)... if this one doesn't work the M600Pro is dead project.

The M200 series he indicated wasn't in their near future project list at this time. I attempted to encourage them to look into the M200 series, kinda fell on the no comment reply.

Couldn't get the "tone" if it was due to low ROI for code work or if M200 platform had a difficult FW to patch.

I do think the hack-patch procedures on newer platform's FW is going to be a challenge to even break. The iOS Bricking & Android Rooting has diminished as well with newer releases.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services