Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI GeoUnlock Shows multiple overlapping areas. They all have to be unlocked, right?

UAV_Mapper

Reaction score
We've got some contract work at one of the large western wildfires and there are close to a dozen overlapping unlock zones near where we're mapping. I assume that I have to click on each area (~9) and go through the unlocking procedure for each one, every 3 days. Does anyone know if having access to one of the overlapping areas will override other overlapping ones? And to be clear, yes, we have FAA and CalFire's permission to perform our operations, I'm just trying to get our DJI fleet to be able to fly without issues. There's not likely to be very good internet at the site, so trying to do this remotely. Thanks for any information you might have!

Attachments

• Snap 2021-09-14 at 08.27.46.png
    Snap 2021-09-14 at 08.27.46.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
We've got some contract work at one of the large western wildfires and there are close to a dozen overlapping unlock zones near where we're mapping. I assume that I have to click on each area (~9) and go through the unlocking procedure for each one, every 3 days. Does anyone know if having access to one of the overlapping areas will override other overlapping ones? And to be clear, yes, we have FAA and CalFire's permission to perform our operations, I'm just trying to get our DJI fleet to be able to fly without issues. There's not likely to be very good internet at the site, so trying to do this remotely. Thanks for any information you might have!
You might want to email your request to DJI with that information. I know they used to give an unlock code for LE that had a COA that unlocked the bird from any restricted zones. Not sure if they still do that or if they would allow it in this circumstance.

Reactions: UAV_Mapper
Are you doing work for CalFire? Or for another entity, and you were able to get approval from FAA and CalFire?

I've tried for years to do work for CalFire; every single time the "gatekeeper" (the small business advocate) says the same generic thing. In fact, I got this reply on Aug 12:

"Thank you for your interest in doing business with the State of California’s Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE). Currently, CAL FIRE does not utilize drone services as it can significantly interfere with our mission. Additionally, we do not intend to employ drone services at this time."

You might want to email your request to DJI with that information. I know they used to give an unlock code for LE that had a COA that unlocked the bird from any restricted zones. Not sure if they still do that or if they would allow it in this circumstance.
Thanks, I'll reach out to them and see. Based on my previous requests, I imagine it could take a while, but maybe they'll surprise me this time.

Are you doing work for CalFire? Or for another entity, and you were able to get approval from FAA and CalFire?

I've tried for years to do work for CalFire; every single time the "gatekeeper" (the small business advocate) says the same generic thing. In fact, I got this reply on Aug 12:

"Thank you for your interest in doing business with the State of California’s Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE). Currently, CAL FIRE does not utilize drone services as it can significantly interfere with our mission. Additionally, we do not intend to employ drone services at this time."
We're contracted at the Federal level and as such, we have some special conduits for getting airspace waivers in disaster areas. Amusingly, that's been an easier "green light" than getting the DJIs to unlock.

I currently like using the DJI custom unlock over the self unlocking. Usually really quickly approved in like mins. If I am not mistaken the last time i was told, without documentation max 3 months with documentation you can get unlock period of up to 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: UAV_Mapper
I currently like using the DJI custom unlock over the self unlocking. Usually really quickly approved in like mins. If I am not mistaken the last time i was told, without documentation max 3 months with documentation you can get unlock period of up to 2 or 3 years.
I tried that today and was pleasantly surprised that it worked. I did provide documentation, but it took less than an hour. I last tried it several years ago and it took days to get a response and they were never satisfied with the documentation that we provided and we eventually just farmed the work out to someone else to deal with. So, instead of having to self-register 4-5 drones for 11 areas every 3 days, it took less than an hour. Lesson learned!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM