Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI & Indirect funding from Chinese Gov't

Another hit piece put out by the Anti-China crowd in D.C. This was orchestrated to be timed with the latest Country of Origin ban being included in the House America Competes Act (ACA). The American Security Drone Act (ASDA) was being added to the ACA and it looked like it was going to be rejected (as it should). Once someone in the House convinced WaPo to do their propaganda bidding, the ADSA was added to the ACA. And it looks like it will pass.

This is a dangerous precedent. The bills will have to go to the Conference Committee to hash out the differences. We need to make sure it doesn't happen.

If you'll notice, nothing in the WaPo article shows any malicious intent by DJI. And if it's news to someone that the Chinese Government is investing in a Chinese tech company, you haven't been paying attention. They always do.

This is no different than the US Government investing in the Blue UAS program here.

The WaPo article is a hit piece placed there by one of the Congressional offices that supposedly work for us.

Reactions: JimD
First lets call this article wha it is 'BS" 2nd the Chinese dont need DJI to spy on the US, or to fund toy companies like DJI, when their military already has Hypersonic Missiles (the US does not) and their space program already has spy sats, then can take a 4K pic of a license plate on a car. And finally if they wanted to really spy on us, or fund companies that disrupt USA businesses all they have to do is buy Facebook, Instagram and What's App advertising. Zuckerberg and the 'Meta' will provide all the info he needs on every citizen in the US and around the world. Maybe we should be more worried about American Drone Manufactures like Skydio, that already got $100 million from the Feds... hummm I wonder why is that?

And just remember, the FBI and Secret Service are still purchasing and using DJI drones at least as of July 2021... Doesn't seem like they are too worried about the data that "could" be sent to china..

DJI spying on us....LOL....it always cracks me up to hear this.

Facebook, Twitter, Insta, Google, Amazon, PayPal, YOUR Bank, Credit Cards, DirecTV, Dish Network, Internet Providers, Website Cookies, Alexa, Siri, Garmin Maps, mobile devices...(I could go on and on)

ALL gather FAR more information on you and your activities than any silly drone flying around. And most readily accept this and think not once on it.

IF you fly close to a military installation or some other sensitive installation and take pictures, then you are the stupidest human around and deserve everything coming your way. WITH ANY DRONE.

Reactions: R.Perry
I'm sure the Chinese are interested in my construction documentation, or ag health reports. I'm sure that the Chinese government has their fingers into DJI, but that doesn't affect the average DJI drone user in any way other than geo fence that is a pain to most users. Let's face it, DJI makes great drones, and I think their competition may very well be spreading this kind information especially if they are seeking government contracts.
Does anyone think the Chinese have anyway of seeing the data that our drones are collecting?

Reactions: MikeA
Just curious, has anyone come up with a compelling reason to have geo fencing in the first place?

Just curious, has anyone come up with a compelling reason to have geo fencing in the first place?

IMHO GeoFencing is a good attempt at keeping ignorant UAS operators (ignorant due to not knowing better or not trying to learn more) from getting into areas they really shouldn't be flying. It should have an On/Off switch somewhere.

Is it perfect? Heck no! Do I think it has kept a LOT of UAS operators from operating in dangerous areas unbeknownst to them? Heck YES! Has it stopped MANY legit and legal UAS operators from getting in the air when they should have no restrictions more than what the FAA has place on us.

I also think that there needs to be a Professional Allowance for those who have demonstrated SOME knowledge of Airspace and Restrictions much like the QEP program is available for Public Safety Orgs.

IMHO GeoFencing is a good attempt at keeping ignorant UAS operators (ignorant due to not knowing better or not trying to learn more) from getting into areas they really shouldn't be flying. It should have an On/Off switch somewhere.

Is it perfect? Heck no! Do I think it has kept a LOT of UAS operators from operating in dangerous areas unbeknownst to them? Heck YES! Has it stopped MANY legit and legal UAS operators from getting in the air when they should have no restrictions more than what the FAA has place on us.

I also think that there needs to be a Professional Allowance for those who have demonstrated SOME knowledge of Airspace and Restrictions much like the QEP program is available for Public Safety Orgs.

DJI has done a decent job with their geofencing scheme. It's definitely not perfect but it has had the good results that Al mentioned, no doubt. But, they have, and are, making a big mistake with enforcing the scheme on operators sanctioned by their respective gov't agency. Yes, they have various unlocks but that system is also flawed and more importantly goes against common sense and good practice with regard to legit commercial ops. Someday, I'm pretty sure they will come around. I'm actually surprised they are taking this long.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and MikeA

So, should we apply the same logic to automobiles?

If you spend any time at all on the forums, you hear people complain about their DJI drone not taking off, only to find out they were too close to an airport or other facility where drones are either prohibited, or too dangerous to fly.

And that's only the ones we hear about. How many more do you think just give up and go someplace else? These are the ignorant (non-pejorative meaning) drone owners who would have gotten in trouble (or worse), if DJI GEO Fencing wasn't installed on thier drones.

I shudder to think how many dangerous and reckless flights would have taken place if DJI didn't have it.

No, because cars are too easy to track, and enforcement and education actually work when it comes to different state DMVs. You can't go to Best Buy or Amazon and buy a car and drive it willy-nilly down the highway at high rates of speed w/o any training.

Apples and oranges.

Reactions: MikeA
The very least they could do is give exceptions to licensed commercial drone pilots that have proven some level of competency or experience. Basically once one is able to obtain the 107 license they should know the rules. However anyone that has studied aviation accidents quickly realizes that professional pilots sometimes make some very bad decisions.
We will never eliminate human error, but we don't need the communist being our baby sitters, that is the FAAs job if you fly in the US.

No, because cars are too easy to track, and enforcement and education actually work when it comes to different state DMVs. You can't go to Best Buy or Amazon and buy a car and drive it willy-nilly down the highway at high rates of speed w/o any training.

Apples and oranges.
You can go to a car lot, buy a car and drive it any way you want to. So FAA enforcement and education don’t work with drones? Not sure I follow any of this reasoning. Not apples and oranges IMO.

Say exactly what you mean and quit beating around the bush. I was very clear and detailed in my explanation and I would appreciate the same from you in your responses.

Say exactly what you mean and quit beating around the bush. I was very clear and detailed in my explanation and I would appreciate the same from you in your responses.
No one is beating around the bush. I am questioning the right to existence of geo fencing. Not questioning it's effectiveness, but unless I am mistaken, DJI is the only drone company employing geo fencing. What would you like me to clarify?

That's an easy one. DJI manufactures their gear. They can put whatever they want on it. The consumer decides if they will purchase it or not.

Next question?
Agree with what you said, but it didn't answer anything. Point is, no one else is using geo fencing. Why just DJI?

Agree with what you said, but it didn't answer anything. Point is, no one else is using geo fencing. Why just DJI?
DJI condisders geofencing to be in their best interest. That is why. Other manufacturers make their own assessment in that regard.

DJI condisders geofencing to be in their best interest. That is why. Other manufacturers make their own assessment in that regard.
Exactly my point. DJI is the only one using it. No one else considers it useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM