Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI & Indirect funding from Chinese Gov't

You can go to a car lot, buy a car and drive it any way you want to. So FAA enforcement and education don’t work with drones? Not sure I follow any of this reasoning. Not apples and oranges IMO.

If I could remotely drive a production car into restricted areas then YES I would absolutely be for some type of automated restrictions. For instance, if I could sit a couple miles from a Secure Military Complex and remotely drive a land based vehicle onto the compound that could be VERY bad. Wouldn't you agree?

So yes your comparison really IS truly Apples & Oranges.

Exactly my point. DJI is the only one using it. No one else considers it useful.

Unless something has changed, Autel was seriously looking into adding their own version of GeoFencing at some point in the future.

I think the issue is people living in communist countries are use to the government controlling everything they do. We here in the US believe in being free. DJI must conform to their government dictators so I'm guessing the Chinese government is the one insisting on geo fence.
That doesn't stop us from eliminating geo fence on our DJI drones. We are free to do that, but that means we carry more responsibility for our actions

Reactions: BigL
Unless something has changed, Autel was seriously looking into adding their own version of GeoFencing at some point in the future.
That will be something to consider, if and when it becomes a reality.

If I could remotely drive a production car into restricted areas then YES I would absolutely be for some type of automated restrictions. For instance, if I could sit a couple miles from a Secure Military Complex and remotely drive a land based vehicle onto the compound that could be VERY bad. Wouldn't you agree?

So yes your comparison really IS truly Apples & Oranges.
This is a situation that is rapidly approaching. Of course I don’t want this to happen. I just think that regulation should occur at the federal level, not at a company level.

Your question keeps changing now you have stated an opinion, which is different than a question. Opinions are fine. But several here have shared the usefulness of geo fencing.
This isn't a discussion of the effectiveness. I have not questioned that. The question is who should be enforcing the geo fence, our government or an individual company?

This isn't a discussion of the effectiveness. I have not questioned that. The question is who should be enforcing the geo fence, our government or an individual company?
That aspect brings it back to my earlier point that a manufacturer can build in what they want, so long as it doesn't break a law or regulation, and the consumer chooses to buy or not. So I guess the answer you are looking for is that it is the consumer that makes the final decision on DJI's geo fencing.

That aspect brings it back to my earlier point that a manufacturer can build in what they want, so long as it doesn't break a law or regulation, and the consumer chooses to buy or not. So I guess the answer you are looking for is that it is the consumer that makes the final decision on DJI's geo fencing.
Absolutely agree about consumer choice. Still doesn’t answer who should be enforcing it, feds or possibly a dozen different companies with geo fencing schemes?

Absolutely agree about consumer choice. Still doesn’t answer who should be enforcing it, feds or possibly a dozen different companies with geo fencing schemes?
Geo fencing is not currently mandatory in the US. Therefore no "official" agency or group enforces it or is expected to. There is no missing "who". You are conflating things with regard to DJI geo fencing. Currently it is just a "feature" and they are in control. Just like a car manufacturer controls the features in their cars. There is no agency telling them what the texture of the seats should be.

Should DJI have geo fencing on their products? That is a different topic from "Do they have the right to do so?"

To the second question, yes they have the right.

To the first question; my opinion is that yes, they should. But that they should disable it completely for licensed operators.

I'm sure the Chinese are interested in my construction documentation, or ag health reports. I'm sure that the Chinese government has their fingers into DJI, but that doesn't affect the average DJI drone user in any way other than geo fence that is a pain to most users. Let's face it, DJI makes great drones, and I think their competition may very well be spreading this kind information especially if they are seeking government contracts.
Does anyone think the Chinese have anyway of seeing the data that our drones are collecting?
After playing with a couple other drones by different manufacturers, I am very glad to be flying DJI again.

No one is beating around the bush. I am questioning the right to existence of geo fencing. Not questioning it's effectiveness, but unless I am mistaken, DJI is the only drone company employing geo fencing. What would you like me to clarify?
Isn’t Holy Stone using some kind of geofencing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM