Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI, National Security and You

Makes me think you aren’t one of the 20+ million people with a security clearance, government employee, or military personnel that experienced their O.P.M. personnel files being stolen by the Chinese government through server hacking. Or aware of the government research establishing the Chinese steal approximately $600 billion worth of American I.P. and corporate/military tech annually.

It’s not a theory, it’s a well established fact and has been taking place for over 20 years.

You wonder where he's been the last 20 years?
Oh, liberal mindset!
Like I said ... a complete waste of effort trying to talk sense to people that can only see conspiracy theories wherever they look.
Facts aren't of any interest to you.

A problem with proof is that revealing what is known also reveals where and how observations were made and can indirectly disclose the methods used to make the observations. Anyone conducting any form of espionage would love nothing more than learning exactly which of their activities were exposed as it would enable them to alter the manner they had been obtaining information. That's what has both Hauwei and DJI with their shorts in a bunch. They keep demanding to be told what their accusers know and are being denied that info, which prevents them from making alterations to better conceal their activities.

I'm really surprised that anyone that was part of the U.S. military might not be aware of how operational security works, and the lengths some will go to in order to obtain inside information belonging to their enemies or competitors. We also might want to consider the book "The Art of War" was written by a Chinese general centuries ago and it's still used as a text book in both the military and business worlds.

Let’s step back and analyze this is to the purest. If this event is peril to our government’s security, America would execute without negligence an investigation, and this News would be in every front page, early morning to early afternoon news in the country, and would be the hottest topic next to the Kardashian’s.

Relax. You are shaking your can a little loudly.

It’s been pretty well established our media will generally publish only what it wants to, and that governments play games most can’t comprehend.

A little history; one day a few years back myself and another were re-formatting a few laptops obtained from other departments for use in our shop. All were linked to one of company’s servers. Two of them suddenly started running search inquiries that did not fit what we were doing, then a third followed suit

All of them were separated from the server and shut down to determine what had happened. The IT dept. traced linkage back to a Chinese server, and the hack had originated by using one of the user passwords used on company flight simulators. It was determined that had been possible because the previous user had opened an e-mail and opened a phishing attachment. Fortunately all the computers had been cleared of sensitive data prior to the hack and were being filled with common phone book data to overwrite anything that might have remained after the wipe.

BTW, if you were in the military they have your life history too.

Regarding DJI craft, unless your smart device is completely air-gapped and you never connect even to cache map tiles. Or, you uninstall / reinstall the app beforehand, then you cannot be sure that any of your data is not being scraped. Whether or not the data is of any significance in not the point. I have not personally done it, but many guys have used WireShark and similar sniffers, and when GO goes online, it is pinging servers all over the place. If you have the knowledge to track down exactly what is being transmitted in all those connections, and are happy with what you find, I guess that's fine for you then.

I still maintain that since they require you to release all your use as a matter of course, they have some motivation to do so. It makes no sense to have it otherwise.

Last edited:
Like the OP said, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

Like said above, China is going to take control of all drones, and 72.3% will throw a prop and plummet into the Marianna's trench. 25.9% will have ESC failures and sink a small fishing trawler just off the coast of Tinian, and the remaining 1.2% will produce 4K over exposed stills of your neighbor's mother-in-law sunbathing in the backyard with a noticeably tilted horizon.

Also prove that whatever it is that being sent back to China are vital, against our own country that openly spies on its allies and citizens.
Apparently too many folks forget the Chinese also have sats over our heads, just like the US, Russia, ans just about anyone else.

Reactions: R Martin
Apparently too many folks forget the Chinese also have sats over our heads, just like the US, Russia, ans just about anyone else.
Yes they do, .... 2 new terms if you haven't heard of them:
1. Kamikaze Satellites (single use satellites that take out another satellite)
2. Satellite Killers or Killer Satellites (re-useable satellites who take out other satellites)

Several countries have already deployed these apparently.

Last edited:
Yes they do, .... 2 new terms if you haven't heard of them:
1. Kamikaze Satellites (single use satellites that take out another satellite)
2. Satellite Killers or Killer Satellites (re-useable satellites who take out other satellites)

Several countries have already deployed these apparently.
Unless one of us is imaging super duper secret UFO storage sites at Groom Lake for the gov'mnt with their trusty Phantom, the Chinese are hardly of any concern.

Precisely why the Army banned their use. There were quite a few enterprising personnel that bought and were using them to film troop exercises. That ended after they learned they weren’t the only ones getting to see the product.

Like I said ... a complete waste of effort trying to talk sense to people that can only see conspiracy theories wherever they look.
Facts aren't of any interest to you.
Oh, now here you're being presumptive without facts!
A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims folly.

Last edited:
Oh, now here you're being presumptive without facts!
A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims folly.
It probably won't mean anything to someone that dismisses a contrary opinion as being from someone with a "liberal mindset", but for anyone with an open mind this guy explains some of my thoughts on the matter:

Reactions: AcesFull
Me "liberal", where did you get that from!
So you watch RT News??? ?
Did you know.......
RT America is an American pay television news channel based in Washington, D.C. which is part of the RT network, a global multilingual television news network based in Moscow, Russia, funded by the Russian government.[1] The channel is the home and the production base of RT's U.S.-based programs
and
Your credit is worthless

Me "liberal", where did you get that from!
If you have that much trouble with basic English comprehension, we're way behind the eight ball already.
Regardless of the site publishing the video, the content is still valid.
Try addressing what the journalist actually said.

Funny thing the media. While I was still running around the world I found the most honest and accurate reporting was done by Middle Eastern media outlets. Their preference was to report what actually occurred and left any semblance of political spin and personal opinion out of it.

IMOH, if anyone was to ask the world’s journalists to please stand up the only people that met the true definition would be standing in the Middle East. Everyone else would have to remain sitting.

Here in the “civilized West” facts and truth are the first things to be edited out before publication.

Here in the “civilized West” facts and truth are the first things to be edited out before publication.
So no-one cares to comment on what the journalist had to say?
We can tell without listening to him?

Every U.s. media outlet I’ve watched and read seems to put their own “spin” on a subject. Most of the “journalists” don’t list their qualifications and history that could justify their spin. Cspan is an exception as they broadcast the actual event for the viewer to make their own determinations, with journalists/commentators adding their interpretations afterwards. A very large percentage of outlets copy a story generated by another agency and publish it under their banner, often verbatim. Some change the verbiage fractionally but it’s the same story.

A great many people in this country have independently figured out their “news” is heavily slanted, they ate getting lied to, and no longer trust what they are being told is true. I happen to be one of them as I lived and worked in an environment where info for public dissemination was heavily manipulated to achieve a purpose.

Look at the steady decline in viewer ratings for the major broadcast outlets over the past couple or so years. People have stopped watching them and shifted to another.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM