Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI no-fly zones

We are in general agreement, Pat.

Since context matters, my personal comfort with disabling the NFZ database check is based upon the way I did it. I was paying attention when it was learned that the user had the ability to expose and change all craft parameter values in DJI's own Assistant software simply by changing a setting in the Assistant software to turn on developer mode. If, on the other hand, it was accomplished by applying some patch or another method from some unknown developer or source, I would have been skeptical. This parameter is specific to telling the firmware how large a radius in the NFZ database to look for DJI specified areas. I just changed it to 0 meters. No other flight parameters are dependent upon this value or affected by the change. Very simple.
Exactly! Same as increasing the parameter value of the triggering speed for the incessant High Wind Warning messages from 5mph to 20mph. Using the manufacturer's own software to make a few parameter mods that increased the usability of the aircraft when flown legally, is not "hacking" anything! They left the door open, but later closed it. Values can be restored at will to the default values. Why weren't the users given access to the high wind warning speed setting in the GO 4 app in the first place???

Exactly! Same as increasing the parameter value of the triggering speed for the incessant High Wind Warning messages from 5mph to 20mph. Using the manufacturer's own software to make a few parameter mods that increased the usability of the aircraft when flown legally, is not "hacking" anything! They left the door open, but later closed it. Values can be restored at will to the default values. Why weren't the users given access to the high wind warning speed setting in the GO 4 app in the first place???

Yep. This in no more “hacking” than changing the value used for battey warnings in DJI Go. The only difference is that DJI has hidden that switch. Those promoting the idea that since the switch is (now) hidden you are somehow illegally modifying an otherwise certified system are simply incorrect. It's totally fine though if they are not comfortable flipping it on thier craft.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If provisions are made for user alteration I see no reason for those that understand their effects not to make changes as appropriate to the task. Anyone that has used APM, Pixhawk, PX4, and Vector systems has such ability.

To block access where it had been previously accessible is nothing more than a demonstration of maintaining power and control.

re: manufacturer geofencing.

A.
To be guilty of breaking a regulation (FAR), the regulation must first exist. None now exist for manufacturer marketing based geofencing.

B. Changing a parameter setting for reading a DJI NFZ database does not have any effect, adverse or otherwise, on any other craft performance. (I have personally tested and proven this extensively)

If a manufacturer believed that your uav should be blue and you skinned it orange, would that also make folks uncomfortable? The same folks that state changing a parameter is in and of itself "reckless operation" will happily strap on lights, parachutes or other equipment to their craft. Yet the NFZ parameter change has no other effect on flight performance while the other add-ons might.

The FAA is considering having manufactures or DIY builders certify certain aspects of the UAV, especially in regard to flying over people. Someday, maybe the FAA will mandate that manufacturers or builders certify aspects of flight control software. For now they have not. Facts still matter. (for now)

That's my opinion on this. @LUIS MARTINEZ can now post his picture of beating a horse. :p
(Mod Removed ) I'm on my laptop...
IMAGINE PIC OF BEATING A DEAD HORSE [HERE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well apologies for stirring up something with this - and it was MUCH easier than I realised. I now know the procedure to obtain a self-unlock code from DJI and unlock the Geo-zone that I need to fly in.

Flight in a restricted undertaken safely today, so I’m happy again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143