Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI redefining flight?

I am almost willing to bet that DJI is at the end of their rope as far as being a leader innovation comes for a while. There are too many other companies doing work with AI, sensors and modular design that we are about to see to even worry about them making a big change that doesn't cost $10k+.

Reactions: R Martin
I am almost willing to bet that DJI is at the end of their rope as far as being a leader innovation comes for a while. There are too many other companies doing work with AI, sensors and modular design that we are about to see to even worry about them making a big change that doesn't cost $10k+.
Wouldn’t bet on it. Seen it said to many times before then they jump back. Never under estimate DJI. They been in the game to long.

Reactions: Recoveryone
Wouldn’t bet on it. Seen it said to many times before then they jump back. Never under estimate DJI. They been in the game to long.
Interesting. Very sound considering it's been at least 3 years since anything game changing has come out. They have been second fiddle to Skydio and Autel for the past two. We'll see what happens with the U.S. commerce ban and what companies arise during it. I would keep my eyes on Teal.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well it’s hard for me to see it any other way being a DJI fanboy
? but they did come out with the Mini2 which I wish I had waited
on but didn’t. As far as Autel and Skydio which I Mod in I see the issues they have. Can‘t converse in those as I don’t have ether.
I just don’t see DJI losing any ground. Time will tell though. ?
Not familiar with Teal but will check em out ?

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Well it’s hard for me to see it any other way being a DJI fanboy
? but they did come out with the Mini2 which I wish I had waited
on but didn’t. As far as Autel and Skydio which I Mod in I see the issues they have. Can‘t converse in those as I don’t have ether.
I just don’t see DJI losing any ground. Time will tell though. ?
I don't see them necessarily losing ground but in regards to "redefining" I don't see anything on the Dev board. What you will find is customers complaining about lack of functionality provided mostly because they stall support for 3rd party apps and yet they don't improve the functionality of their own software. We primarily fly DJI, but there are many cases in which we just can't accomplish the goal of the mission without the functionality or a 3rd party app. If they would release a mid-sized hexacopter to cover the ground between the Phantom/Mavic and the Matrice that would be a redefinition to everyone except Yuneec. Time will surely tell!

Skydio... ??? lol the only ones I have seen are one-off's. I remember how good the GoPro Karam one offs were... until the production line versions started dropping out of the Sky, and How is the Autel Evo 2, so much better than the Mavic Pro which came out a year before. Last but not least DJI was smart not to come out with a new Professional Consumer Drone until all the remote ID crap got settled. As for DJI FPV drone, it will redefine drone racing, and it will provide Drone Cinematographers with a high speed 4K camera drone capable of keeping up with car, motorcycle and boat racing. Of course your going to actually fly the drone as opposed to putting in 'way points' in a survey app, lol

The Bans may effect some, not many overall. The realities of the Ban are still being chased down, since Fed Govt Ban didn't pass... Early State & Prvt companies jumped on that prematurely. In my opinion, loosely justified.

The 3rd party apps are a strong point for DJI, haven't seen much in 3rd party for Yuneec, Autel or Skidio. Above that, the in-house DJI apps are multiple, the GSP2 is an quality app with features not in other 3rd party apps. The Skydio add-ons come at a subscription cost... not basically freebies or low cost... some reserved for new model basically not available to small shops. Developers to my observations are still focused on DJI... market percentage driven.

I have a Skydio, early Buyer. Amazing technology to observe for a specific need. The optical avoidance and follow is impressive. In that category, Skydio does outperform DJI currently... although to my reading, DJI didn't elect to challenge the Skydio platform due to the market share not supporting demand & investment.

My personal use, the Skydio has rarely been the platform selected, but my use or need of object avoidance is rarely utilized... on DJI platforms I often turn off. The overall package, including RC and app fall a bit short; but in their defense wasn't their focus for the S2, more of a later add-on to include.

We tend to compare Brands within the S2, EVO2, Mavic series of platforms. DJI coverage is much more wide: X7 Full Frame S35, Thermal, Agricultural, Mini, etc. using different platforms. That wide selection of platforms hasn't even been offered by other Brands... most focus on 1 or 2 at most.

The development cycle is 2 fold, product still meeting overall demand and introduction or improvement. DJI has typically watched market, and has often delayed product to address new trends. I'm pretty sure the M3 was close to release until other products appeared with new popularity... the M3 most likely got pulled back to increase it's competitive level.
The M2EA in many respects beats the EVO2 Dual and that was probably a quick & easy upgrade to work up & release.

The Inspire 1, basically the oldest still active prosumer paltform... still highly used for various purposes and specialized tasks with developed SW & payloads.

I'd agree, a smaller Hex platform... a bit above a P4P... a tad more than the H520 with multiple facets of payloads and DJI App (and 3rd party) would be a strong package. The H520 is great in a few ways, but fails drastically short in the majority.

Above the majority of other Brands or models, an older DJI still continues to be used long after others are dropped as old models. Many, including myself are hesitant to purchase a platform a bit above an older DJI, due to DJI reputation & confidence they will probably release a model shortly after regretting not waiting and content with current tools in the interim.

The recent DJI house (Mgmt & Engineers) purging and changing in one part is a concern, although most large companies do the same with positive results.

The M2EA will be very popular once rolling and out for a bit with strong reviews. The DJI FPV is breaking new ground... won't be a ultra light, easy fix, full tweaking FPV racer, but will introduce FPV to many that didn't want to build their own just to experiment FPV and Cinema FPV if becomes popular... all afterward will be modeled after a successful DJI platform.

Strongly agree many USA companies will release some outstanding products... but cost and low market share, many will view as risky investment and question lifespan or continued product releases.

Last edited:
Not only what has been said above but if this new FPV drone comes out and it is a crossover between racing and photography as far as stability goes that could be a game-changer. Also, I am told it may have some new AI features for tracking fast-moving targets. Again crossover between FPV and photo drone. All that considered this will give some new angles we have not seen yet from photographers. As opposed to a limited few racing pilots that can get those kinds of angles.

If you would like to make a purchase on Tuesday afternoon reach out to us.... ;-)

Mike D
Is that the official release date? Did I read somewhere there was a delay for USA... or just negative hype?

Is there a official price able to be announced yet?

Not only what has been said above but if this new FPV drone comes out and it is a crossover between racing and photography as far as stability goes that could be a game-changer. Also, I am told it may have some new AI features for tracking fast-moving targets. Again crossover between FPV and photo drone. All that considered this will give some new angles we have not seen yet from photographers. As opposed to a limited few racing pilots that can get those kinds of angles.
How is it going to be legal to fly in the United States? Unless you have an observer that can keep their eyes on something flying in this manner you're not complying with VLOS regulations especially when they tout how far you can fly one. Personally as a 107 pilot that makes a living with drones I don't see this going well.

How is it going to be legal to fly in the United States? Unless you have an observer that can keep their eyes on something flying in this manner you're not complying with VLOS regulations especially when they tout how far you can fly one. Personally as a 107 pilot that makes a living with drones I don't see this going well.
Well Regulation side is a completely different discussion, But "trees don't kill drones", "Pilots kill drones with trees"

The PIC will always be the PIC and when flying FPV one should be using a visual observer. I think this edition is less about the FPV and more about the handling ability of the aircraft. FPV aircraft are very different creatures. I usually equate drones to the layperson with a comparison to Motorcycles, golf Cars, UTV/ATVs, trucks, and Bulldozers.

FPV = Motocycles, and dirt bikes in particular. You can race them, flip them, and do Evel Knievel stuff.
Golf Cars = Tello use them on nice open indoors rooms with no wind. Like a golf car on a golf course with no traffic.
UTV/ATVs = Mini 2 and those newer aircraft that you can have fun with.
Ford Ranger truck = Mavic Air 2.
F-150 = Mavic 2
F-250/350/450 = Matrice series
Bulldozers = Predators, Global hawk that kind of stuff.

This new product just puts DJI in the business of making what I am going to say is a hybrid dirt by and street bike. Like that little make-in-China motorcycle that you can go off-road and get up to 70 on the interstate. And if you want real racing stuff you will go with Team Black Sheep, FatShark and the other well-known Racing companies that do FPV.

Real FPV PILOTs have known and have used "spotters" or VOs for years safely. We just have a few rotten apples that drive their minibikes down our residential streets like Rotor Riot and their building/bridge or the famous train videos that get us all in trouble. No one can question the skill of the pilot but legality is easily questioned.

Circling back to your original question. We as a community have to help get the word out and teach a safety culture where using a VO is "cool" and influence the influenceable.

Opinions of Mike D

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Well said. I just have a sinking feeling that all drones will soon be subject to much stricter local ordinances because of the inevitable increase of accidents because of people becoming situationally isolated with goggles on and a 60mph drone. I guess time will tell.

Well said. I just have a sinking feeling that all drones will soon be subject to much stricter local ordinances because of the inevitable increase of accidents because of people becoming situationally isolated with goggles on and a 60mph drone. I guess time will tell.

The sad part is that I recognize one of those guys, I do like how this shows you how many times they tried the same move and failed before they got it right for their Youtube video where they make it look easy. These people do have extraordinary talents much like those that are competitive shooters. They just never tell you how many they destroyed practicing. But in the Business of selling these DJI FPV Combos at $1299 one will have to put in an effort of caution or go broke quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM