Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Does DJI Maintenance program Open one to possible liability

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
First let me ask if anyone knows what DJI would include in their maintenance program. The new Pilot 2 apps now force you to comply with Maintenance notifications. I would assume you have to send the drone to a DJI Authorized dealer to clear the notification and have ??? some type of maintenance check.

Two questions. one, would DJI be doing anything additional to what I currently do before and after each flight. Documented physical inspection for airworthiness and collection/review of logs via AidData. Second, if I had a reportable event, my logs would say I am overdue for a maintenance which could be a false flag to an investigator unless I am missing something.

Also meant to add I swap out new props every 12 months and props have date marked on them. Interested in others thoughts

Reactions: BigAl07
Some interesting points about maintenance.

The Advisory Circular says "Whenever possible, the operator should maintain thesUAS and its components in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions."
The M300RTK, and M30 Series all have an actual Maintenance Manual.
The M300 RTK actually uses this statement when discussing Routine and Deep Maintenance - "Factory Service Mandatory"

So as to keep our liability to the lowest threshold possible, we follow the Maintenance from DJI since it does state "Mandatory".
I have already purchased the maintenance and am just waiting to hit the time/hours triggering point.

I too have had the same thoughts as you in regards to liability. The M300 RTK scares me a bit since any accident with it could be very dangerous for any person nearby.
So I do my absolute best to keep her in a state or air worthiness.

1704059790321.png

@jaja6009 Thanks for sharing. Spoke to DJI and Mavic 3 E/T Series would get the routine maint. Deep cleaning and inspection which includes checking hull and out case for damage/cracks, checking all screws, inspection of props for chips or damage, checking all error logs and updating IMU/Vision sensors, firmware updates if needed. They do not do any routine component replacement unless they detect failure or damage, so no replacing motors as would be done on some of the larger models like you have.

This is the same outline almost word for word that is in the Airdata maintenance program included in my subscription. I am comfortable using this program to track all maintenance to aircraft and batteries service.

I will mention that the DJI rep I spoke to said they have a feature request submitted to allow users to re-set this maintenance for Routine maintenance only, but no date has been identified yet for the updated.

Last edited:
I have had three of the Enterprise Maintenance Services. I own 2 Matrice 300s. Two were routine maintenance, there was an upper fan disfunction, and rather than pull it apart myself it got replaced under the maintenance program. The other was a deep cleaning and there was some repairs due to a contact with a tree branch (I paid for some of the parts, some were covered, but the labour was all covered). I really wouldn’t worry about an investigation unless you were doing something illegal. The incident or accident details are to determine which areas or parts may have been damaged and expedite a prompt replacement, if it is still within the time frame. I have been more than happy with the maintenance received and the shipping has been covered both ways with a label from DJI which made cross boarder shipping a breeze. I am from Canada and have to send it to California. The 1300.00 and the 800.00 Canadian currency I paid was in my opinion well worth the service I received. I never felt that anything other than service and maintenance was being performed on my aircraft.
Just my two cents. Good luck and happy flying.

First let me ask if anyone knows what DJI would include in their maintenance program. The new Pilot 2 apps now force you to comply with Maintenance notifications. I would assume you have to send the drone to a DJI Authorized dealer to clear the notification and have ??? some type of maintenance check.

Two questions. one, would DJI be doing anything additional to what I currently do before and after each flight. Documented physical inspection for airworthiness and collection/review of logs via AidData. Second, if I had a reportable event, my logs would say I am overdue for a maintenance which could be a false flag to an investigator unless I am missing something.

Also meant to add I swap out new props every 12 months and props have date marked on them. Interested in others thoughts
If you're flying for a corporation, municipal government or security for example, part of your contract would likely require you to include your licenses, insurance, site surveys, permits, as well as evidence that your aircraft meet all manufacturer's standards for maintenance, etc..
If there was an accident, then I would imagine that a lack of maintenance (even if that was not the issue) might create some peril in an investigation and possible lawsuit.

I just purchased the Basic Maintenance for my personal Mavic 2 Enterprise. Only Basic is available for this older sUAS, no Standard or Premium.
$139.00
I will post back my experience and thoughts, including if I think it is worth it.
The aircraft is a bit over 4 years old with 237 flights and 38 flight hours.

I will also be sending in my 2 other Enterprise drones. A winter project.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143