Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Down with some FPV's

YourSky

Reaction score
Website
www.yoursky.biz
I spent some time with an FPV group here in Colorado Springs. Its rather difficult to keep up video with these little speedsters. I was using my standard equipment, a Yuneec Typhoon H, but for this shoot I had just changed to a new antenna (which I found to have issues, which is why there were a few close calls with trees). My biggest question was potential interference with the FPVs. Even though the frequencies were shared, due to the Yuneec's handshake and protocol usage, there was no interference at all. This was all done for free. It was just for adding to my repertoire and giving the FPV flyers a different perspective on their flying. You may also notice a few changes in resolution, which I was also testing to see if I could get a better catch of those little drones.

Reactions: John Eiberger
Did you go from mushroom antenna to the flat? Flat antenna you must always face the H.
I'd like to share some advice, When shooting video were you in auto mode?
Try using manual mode, ISO at 100, Shutter Speed at 600, the brighter the sky go up to 800 or more. This will give you a bluer sky and better color all around.
ND Filters help also.

Last edited:
Did you go from mushroom antenna to the flat? Flat antenna you must always face the H.
I'd like to share some advice, When shooting video were you in auto mode?
Try using manual mode, ISO at 100, Shutter Speed at 600, the brighter the sky go up to 800 or more. This will give you a bluer sky and better color all around.
ND Filters help also.
Thank you for the advice. I do have ND filters now, but I didn't then. And yes, I was changing antenna types, but the angle to the drone wasn't the only problem. I found out one of the wires was bad, which was giving me inconsistent video to the controller and one of the Typhoon's biggest problems is the video latency. The two combined made for an interesting time.

Thank you for the advice. I do have ND filters now, but I didn't then. And yes, I was changing antenna types, but the angle to the drone wasn't the only problem. I found out one of the wires was bad, which was giving me inconsistent video to the controller and one of the Typhoon's biggest problems is the video latency. The two combined made for an interesting time.
Good thing you were to correct the antenna being loose.
The latency is common for all aerial vehicles, trees can also be an issue. I do have an H myself, plan on purchasing the H+, not impressed with the H520.
With my Sunny day ND filter I can keep my ISO at 100 but my shutter speed about 1/125 maybe up to 1/250

Good thing you were to correct the antenna being loose.
The latency is common for all aerial vehicles, trees can also be an issue. I do have an H myself, plan on purchasing the H+, not impressed with the H520.
With my Sunny day ND filter I can keep my ISO at 100 but my shutter speed about 1/125 maybe up to 1/250
After watching those FPV's, I was a little more disappointed in the latency. I have gotten used to it, and understand the reasoning behind it for higher end drones.

Have you noticed any difference in ND filters from different manufacturers? I use a filter kit from Ultimaxx, which includes a CPL, UV, and variable ND filter.

and I was not impressed by the H520 either. If what they say is true about the H+, it would be quite useful for extended shots and higher winds. Right now just about everyone I talk to maxes at 15mph winds. We'll see if the H+ stays true to their claims, but 6 rotors and stability in wind was one of my number one reasons to buy the H. Here in Colorado, 10+ mph winds are rather common.

and I was not impressed by the H520 either. If what they say is true about the H+, it would be quite useful for extended shots and higher winds. Right now just about everyone I talk to maxes at 15mph winds. We'll see if the H+ stays true to their claims, but 6 rotors and stability in wind was one of my number one reasons to buy the H. Here in Colorado, 10+ mph winds are rather common.
I've been in winds 22mph, aerials of a bridge girder installation. The crane operators had on board weather vane.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donut