Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Deploy adding Geofencing

I don't know about the "type of pilots that dronedeploy are marketing towards." I mean, I really don't have the time or want to go to the expense of processing the data sets say through Pix4D, not to mention the learning curve. What is DD motivation for implementing these restrictions? I don't even think DJI has the right or authority to do so, so why would DD be any different? If it was some other type of technology, would we put up with these types of restrictions especially if we are footing the bill in their services and products? I think not. Can you imagine every app developer putting their own restrictions on? Really, I hope this does not get out of control, otherwise it's almost not worth the trouble.

The problem with cloud processing services is that they usually offer a type of processing and you have to adapt to it. If it's good for your customers, no problem. The problem comes when you have to process data with data that does not accept the service in the cloud, you can not give your customer what he asks and there you have a problem.

Over time I'm sure they will improve but in general still, and I'm afraid that for a long time, it's much more versatile for you to process your data. On the other hand, cloud processing has two fundamental advantages: you don't consume your time and the price is relatively low. At least what I looked at. I process my data with Pix4D. It takes time to learn but doing a course you will see that it is not so difficult to get going. You learn concepts that are very important to perform flights correctly, part as important as processing the data, and then process the data follows a fairly automated process. I'm talking about Pix4D, which is what I know.

Mike,
I didnt mean to sound negative towards any pilots that use DD or don't bother learning the process of photogrammetry...its a big process and its complicated to say the least but there is something to be said for understanding the product your offering to clients. DD is a product that does everything for a pilot and takes all the work and thinking out of the equation and because of its fully automated process the product it generates is truly sub par for accurate mapping. All I'm saying is if they feel the need to take all the thinking out of photogrammetry then it would make sense for them to think they need to take the thinking out of flying too.

Jesse; No worries. I would hope that they (being professional) would take this industry seriously, and that includes the way that the fly. I have some in our area that I have researched and they are putting themselves out there as commercial (doing commercial work), not licensed, no NAS authorization, and yet end users are not educated enough to either ask or don't care if they are meeting the higher standards of being a commercial drone pilot with the right licensure, insurance etc. I have confronted two of them on this issue. They know what there doing is wrong. Hopefully, this will change in time.

Glad I read this thread, yesterday I had to do mapping at UC Merced. Certain parts are No Fly and others aren't. The active college is a no fly and the construction site is not. When I set up my mapping it wouldn't allow me to map the Eastern tip of the construction site, now I know why. Live and learn I guess.

I've been doing mapping once a month at UC Merced, it is restricted, and our company is authorized to fly the entire site. I have had a few issues with Drone Deploy but yesterday was the worse. I have the same flight plan I use each month, but this time DD decided to lock out the east end of the job site, why haven't heard back from them but I have an upset client.
I decided to go ahead and map what I could, the I2 flew about four rows then returned to home with no input from me, and good batteries. Did change batteries, and re-launched, this time it did about six rows and same thing, after returning to home, would not continue. Third time, same thing.
Trying to get support from them is a joke. I work for Multivista and I'm thinking it is time to change mapping software.
DD, you need to let us worry about where we can and can't fly, I'm pushing the company to go elsewhere.
Fortunately Litchi lets me fly the entire site, including the east end.

I've been doing mapping once a month at UC Merced, it is restricted, and our company is authorized to fly the entire site. I have had a few issues with Drone Deploy but yesterday was the worse. I have the same flight plan I use each month, but this time DD decided to lock out the east end of the job site, why haven't heard back from them but I have an upset client.
I decided to go ahead and map what I could, the I2 flew about four rows then returned to home with no input from me, and good batteries. Did change batteries, and re-launched, this time it did about six rows and same thing, after returning to home, would not continue. Third time, same thing.
Trying to get support from them is a joke. I work for Multivista and I'm thinking it is time to change mapping software.
DD, you need to let us worry about where we can and can't fly, I'm pushing the company to go elsewhere.
Fortunately Litchi lets me fly the entire site, including the east end.

Like Jesse G posted above, I have been using UGCS since January 2017 for DJI, it has some quirks but overall it is a great tool. Closest thing like Mission Planner but compatible with DJI I have come across. using a laptop to plan, launch and monitor flights is so much better than a tablet in my opinion.

It has a bit of a learning curve but as far as NFZs the only issues I have had always come from the DJI side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM