Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Deploy Launch Issue

JDS

Reaction score
Hello all!

I had 3 mapping missions to fly on Sunday and had a seriously frustrating setback. I'd like to see if you guys have any input.

Here is what I'm running:

Drone Deploy SW 4.4.1-4.4.1
DJI GO SW 3.1.64
IPOD Mini 4 128G 13.4.1
Phantom 3 Pro SW 1.11.20
Remote SW 1.9.2

The end issue is that when I go through the DD checklist and try to launch a mission, nothing happens. The app states, "Drone is initializing." But it just sits there. I have to either restart the mission a multitude of times, restart everything, etc. If I did get the mission to launch, I had the same issue on a battery change. I was unable to finish 2 of the 3 missions due to this.

It's odd that I ran these missions about 2 weeks ago and had no issues at all.

It is of note that I did borrow a Mavic 2 Pro and ran one of the failed missions with no issues.

Saw this exact same behavior with one of our Mav2Pro recently and reported it to DD account manager. Completed 40 flights. 41st flight the vehicle did not spin up or give indication of problem. If I get a solution/response, I will post here.

Makes me think the issue is not with your P3, but software (DD) related. DD version is correct and most recent.

Reactions: JDS
KLAX,

I look forward to your response. I have also submitted this to DD, but haven't heard back as of yet.

In the mean time, a power-cycle on your vehicle, ipad, and radio might work. It did not work for me though (on that day).

Tell me more about how you were using it before you had the issue? First flight of the day, tried power cycling, etc.
Thanks!

Klax,

I got an update from DD:

Hi Thom!
We currently have a bug open for this issue so our engineers are investigating this. It seems we are seeing this come up on older drones such as the inspire 1 and the p3p.
--
Kaitlin
Kaitlin from DroneDeploy​

In the mean time, a power-cycle on your vehicle, ipad, and radio might work. It did not work for me though (on that day).

Tell me more about how you were using it before you had the issue? First flight of the day, tried power cycling, etc.
Thanks!
I had troubles all day with my drone. I can't tell you if any order worked or if it was just happenstance that I was able to take off. I tried everything except throwing my controller like a 3 year old...

Reactions: KLAX
I know Kaitlin, she's awesome. It appears that the "bug" also affects Mavic 2 Pro's that have less than 2 hours flight time (not "old"). I'll check in with them next week and share our conversation here. We have a weekly call as part of a project.

My Inspire 2 does that at times, but it doesn't fail to start, it just takes it's sweet time to initialize. The first time it happened I shut down, restarted everything, started DJI 4, closed it out, started DD and she started right up.
You said you were using the Phantom 3, that doesn't use the DJI 4 app, I wonder if there is a problem with the older DJI app and initialization.

My Inspire 2 does that at times, but it doesn't fail to start, it just takes it's sweet time to initialize. The first time it happened I shut down, restarted everything, started DJI 4, closed it out, started DD and she started right up.
You said you were using the Phantom 3, that doesn't use the DJI 4 app, I wonder if there is a problem with the older DJI app and initialization.
R.Perry,

I was using the DJI GO app for the P3. I was fortunate enough to also have access to a Mavic Pro 2 that I did use the Go 4 app and had no issues.

I was intrigued by KLAX's info on the same issue with Mavic Pros' with less than 2 hrs flight time. The one I used has more than 2 hours.

What a weird and highly frustrating bug to have!

I had problems this morning with DD, but what the issue was the construction people put in another new high powered router. I couldn't connect to the drone. Moved away from the buildings and no more problem.

Here again it did go through a initialization, second launch I timed it, One minute and 14 seconds the it decided to go fly.

I'm beginning to believe a lot of the issues with done communications no matter who's software is interference. Why the FCC stuck us with these frequencies is beyond me, but they can be problematic especially if you are around a lot of offices that all have high power routers.

I'm not knowledgeable about what frequencies might be available but I would think they could come up with something else.

I was given an update today that there is no resolution, and they are still working on it, but I should be ok since the drone "did eventually launch." I may have to rethink my provider if I continue to get answers like that.

@flytnow this issue was fixed in the next update. I do still have a lag between launch and actual take off that makes my heart skip a beat sometimes...

Reactions: BigAl07
DD's flight app has been struggling with issues related to the app wanting to connect with DD servers for the last several versions. I don't think they have completely ironed it out so just be aware that if you do not have a data connection, unwanted behaivour may be encountered. They are absolutely fully aware of the issue. The app should work just fine without a data connection, but often it does not.

Remember that you can always use another flight app to capture images and still process with DD if that is your workflow. Map Pilot, for one, works quite well without a data connection and has no limit on flight plans that you can cache background map tiles while in the office.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143