Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Insurance For Drone Business

Reaction score
I just started my drone business and I’m looking for insurance. What are some good recommendations?

Skywatch.ai is another.

One question I have regarding this is general liability insurance. As a subcontractor for a large corporation, the new requirement is $5 million of general liability coverage.

I'll be inquiring with my insurance company to see if I need anything additional to cover drones or if it's already included

Reactions: RGB
That's what the PPA insurance is: General Business Liability Insurance. You can also add "Hull" insurance, that is for the gear, like cameras, lenses, drones, flight controllers, etc. Hull covers damages and loss to the gear.

Skywatch is the Flight Liability Insurance. This is the coverage for the flight operations and damages/risk during actual flight operations. I use this for each mission, passing the cost directly to the client. I do this simply because I add my client to each policy as an "Additional Insured". I haven't seen an easy way to do this under a monthly or annual policy, only under the hourly policy purchased for each mission. I don't know about other insurance Skywatch may/may not offer, like General Business and/or Hull.

We insure our aircraft with Aviation Specialty Insurance. A basic $1,000,000 liability policy for two aircraft (primary/backup) should run you less than $800yr or $65/mo. They can issue Accord certificates for your clients. You can increase coverages to meet client requirements. I prefer the security of a dedicated aviation policy. We have been insured by this company for years and I highly recommend them, but I’m sure you can find a lot of companies out there now that write these policies. Make sure your policy is for “commercial operations”.

Fly safe.

Reactions: safetypro
It would strike me that $1m liability coverage is way below what is required these days. $2m would seem to be the minimum and $5m is a very frequent requirement.

I suppose coverage requirements are different in other parts of the county. Here in California 5mil seems to be what is normally asked for. I don't know what just drone insurance would cost but the coverage on our aircraft that also includes the drones is outrageous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143