Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Laws in Canada has now Leveled Up

Typical government crap. We spent thousands of dollars and hours of time doing sfoc's now we cant fly unless I travel for hours and pay to have some one critique my flying abilities, probably by some one with less flight experience . Should have been some provisions made for established uav pilots.

Typical government crap. We spent thousands of dollars and hours of time doing sfoc's now we cant fly unless I travel for hours and pay to have some one critique my flying abilities, probably by some one with less flight experience . Should have been some provisions made for established uav pilots.

I fully understand your point of view but at the same time I fully agree with needing a Flight Proficiency portion of any aviation credential. I think any license/certificate without an actual flight demonstration isn't worth the paper/plastic it's printed on. While I fully agree everyone needs to have a firm understanding of the rules & regulations (testing) but without the ability to fly in a safe and controlled manner those regulations are nothing.

That's just my 2 cents but I've seen more than a couple of "Licensed" operators who could not fly the aircraft safely in all but the more perfect conditions/situations.

We've been in operation for three yeas commercially. Followed all the regs, dotted our i's and crossed our t's. Even with our proven track record and zero issues, we got put back to square one.
The worst part for us is a pile of our fleet is now obsolete in Canada.

Reactions: jimmymac
We've been in operation for three yeas commercially. Followed all the regs, dotted our i's and crossed our t's. Even with our proven track record and zero issues, we got put back to square one.

Not being a Canadian, I was wondering what the cause for the grounding was, is it due to the SFOC requirements?

I hear you it seems to me like a small circle of people got to set this up and no consideration given to those of us who followed the previous rules at grreat expense and loss of many man hours to do. Thats my 2 cents worth!!!

In short Transport Canada came up with a list of "approved drones". If your uav wasn't on the list, then you are not able to fly in certain areas. For us those areas are where we conduct the majority of our business and have been doing so for the past three years.
We did have the option of conducting flight tests and documenting the drone if the manufacturer hadn't provided those stats to TC, but the cost was super unreasonable to do that. So much of our fleet just became obsolete.
As an example, the DJI P4 was on the list, but the P3 was not.

• Sad
Reactions: AMann
In short Transport Canada came up with a list of "approved drones". If your uav wasn't on the list, then you are not able to fly in certain areas. For us those areas are where we conduct the majority of our business and have been doing so for the past three years.
We did have the option of conducting flight tests and documenting the drone if the manufacturer hadn't provided those stats to TC, but the cost was super unreasonable to do that. So much of our fleet just became obsolete.
Thanks for the reply- that is unfortunate and sounds very unfair!

If they were being flown under a compliant SFOC they are still able to be flown under Part IX - the only thing that needs the manufacturer safety declaration is flying over people.

Yes and I believe there was also an issue where the manufacturers safety declaration was required for flying within the designated radius of an airport, where the majority of our customers exist. I'd have to refer to our ops manager to clarify that or confirm that part though, but that was my understanding at least.

Yes and I believe there was also an issue where the manufacturers safety declaration was required for flying within the designated radius of an airport, where the majority of our customers exist. I'd have to refer to our ops manager to clarify that or confirm that part though, but that was my understanding at least.
TC specifically states that continued operation within controlled airspace is permitted where there was a prior compliant SFOC. A safety declaration is not required.

Thank you for that . I remember reading that and I guess the "will be elligible" does not sound to me like you "are elligible". Open to interpretation I think I thought maybe you had something new.

I think it’s just bad wording. I’ve made the point and been told that “will be” means “are now” after June 1.

Reactions: jimmymac

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker