Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Pilot Associations?

Capt Binkley

Reaction score
I have belonged to the AOPA and EAA for years who represent pilots in the broader aviation community. Are there any similar organizations for drone pilots?

I have belonged to the AOPA and EAA for years who represent pilots in the broader aviation community. Are there any similar organizations for drone pilots?
About every year a new one pops up, takes your money and goes the way of dinosaurs. Actually that's not correct; dinosaurs ruled the Earth for 180 million years...

AOPA has a drone section. That actually so far is doing a decent job (at least as to information) it seems.

AOPA's interest in drones is limited to our membership dues.(Sorry, but that's life). Drones are not their priority.

That's true Luis. But they will likely follow the $$ and set priorities accordingly so if 107 members outnumber 61...

Also, who else that has even a fraction of their tools and reach is there for non-enterprise uas?

Dave,

You know I’ve presented that option before. Seems they would rather pony up a few hundred $$ to join some commercial group with zero lobbying experience.

Groups like AOPA are very keen to give the members what they want. It’s what keeps the money coming in.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
That's true Luis. But they will likely follow the $$ and set priorities accordingly so if 107 members outnumber 61...

Also, who else that has even a fraction of their tools and reach is there for non-enterprise uas?
Sure, I believe it when I see AOPA UAS lobbyists flocking to Capitol Hill and driving the UAS agenda. I know, is the chicken and the egg dilemma.

I was a member of AOPA in the 70s and their priority was and still is aircraft owners and pilots. For $79 a year I'll pass.

Reactions: R Martin
I was really skeptical too, but from what I have seen of their newsletters so far. The AOPA is really getting into the drone area.

There was a Genesee county case in Michigan they found that I hadn't heard of (and I know the attorney who did it). Where there was a local ordnance banning drone activity. AOPA found it in a newsletter a month or so ago. The case couldn't have been easy to find.

I talked to my buddy Dean Greenblatt yesterday who was the attorney who filed it. Dean seems to be defending a lot of drone operators in the area on various drone related matters (he mentioned a couple of onerous tickets issued by local authorities which is how that case got started...they comfiscated the drone operator's equipment and geve him a $10K plus citation) Dean is also a commercial drone pilot and a licensed general aviation instructor. So if you need legal help he is a guy to call.

Anyway, I think AOPA which has had a limited and perhaps declining base of general aviation pilots, is seeing, noticing and servicing the potential of the drone pilot market.

. But I believe they are doing it and they definetely have the connections and lobbying experience if we get enough of a ground swell so they take notice.

Reactions: PatR
I was really skeptical too, but from what I have seen of their newsletters so far. The AOPA is really getting into the drone area.

There was a Genesee county case in Michigan they found that I hadn't heard of (and I know the attorney who did it). Where there was a local ordnance banning drone activity. AOPA found it in a newsletter a month or so ago. The case couldn't have been easy to find.

I talked to my buddy Dean Greenblatt yesterday who was the attorney who filed it. Dean seems to be defending a lot of drone operators in the area on various drone related matters (he mentioned a couple of onerous tickets issued by local authorities which is how that case got started...they comfiscated the drone operator's equipment and geve him a $10K plus citation) Dean is also a commercial drone pilot and a licensed general aviation instructor. So if you need legal help he is a guy to call.

Anyway, I think AOPA which has had a limited and perhaps declining base of general aviation pilots, is seeing, noticing and servicing the potential of the drone pilot market.

. But I believe they are doing it and they definetely have the connections and lobbying experience if we get enough of a ground swell so they take notice.

I'll have to take a closer look at what AOPA is doing in this arena.

$79.00 is base membership but they toss out early renewal discounts often.

For $75.00 you can join the AMA and have no representation at all. The AMA is prohibited from political lobbying by their non profit classification. But you can obtain commercial insurance for additional charge. Just like you can at AOPA. However, the AMA gives you only one company choice while AOPA performs a rate search wirh different companies.

Please don't think I'm implying AMA isn't important, but many people look upon RC aircraft as toys, not useful tools, I'm sure there are many benefits by being involved in RC clubs and aircraft since the similarities are very close to drones. I think it would be great is someone started a drone pilot organization, and attempt to include the AOPA

It’s better to get involved in professional committees within your industry. They are more constructive than typical membership-based societies.

Reactions: BryanD
If all the drone pilots with 107s, over 100,00 would join the AOPA, then it would be 'our' organization. But when drone pilots 'pass' on a membership then it helps no one. Additionally you also get the liability insurance and legal help. and... some representation is much better than none.

I’m still looking for an organization to represent my commercial interests that will preserve my hobby freedoms as well.

For organizations that align w/our current regulatory issues check out:

Drone U
FPV Freedom Coalition, FPVFC
Academy of Model Aeronautics, AMA

Take a look at FPV Freedom Coalition, FPVFC. In existence for only a year and a half, they represent the FPV hobby community. Their president is on a couple of the FAA’s Drone Advisory Committee's working groups. Their efforts align with many of the concerns of the commercial drone industry. So much so that they’ve joined forces w/Drone U during the RID NPRM controversy and will work with anyone to protect our flight freedoms. They have an excellent website and may be also found on YouTube, Facebook, and Discord.

For disclosure: I’m a member of all three and majorly support FPVFC & Drone U.

$79.00 is base membership but they toss out early renewal discounts often.

For $75.00 you can join the AMA and have no representation at all. The AMA is prohibited from political lobbying by their non profit classification. But you can obtain commercial insurance for additional charge. Just like you can at AOPA. However, the AMA gives you only one company choice while AOPA performs a rate search wirh different companies.
I'd rather shop for my insurance. What we desperately need is an organization that will fight vigorously and solely for "drone rights"...
If all the drone pilots with 107s, over 100,00 would join the AOPA, then it would be 'our' organization. But when drone pilots 'pass' on a membership then it helps no one. Additionally you also get the liability insurance and legal help. and... some representation is much better than none.
"If all the drone pilots with 107s, over 100,00 would join the AOPA, then it would be 'our' organization "
LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143