Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Purchase Assistance - DJI Banned

EhmayWuntee

Reaction score
I need some help looking into some reputable brands of drones, but of course the desire is also to try and be cost effective.

I work in Texas and a lot of project photos will be of state DOT projects (TXDOT).
Unfortunately they need to follow state DIR rules which includes a list of prohibited software and hardware companies and of course DJI is on that list.

(Slight side note, it sounds like nationally we may be getting more bans or maybe it's just the sale of new products and DJI specific? I haven't looked into it much, but heard a few days ago something passed regarding DJI at a minimum.)

The other minor concern would be if we happened to find a company not currently banned/prohibited, but in 6-18 months maybe they get added to that list. I think the only fairly realistic case of that would be if it is another Chinese company or has ties to China. Autel for example may not be on that list now, but I believe they are based out of China and may be a risk getting their product?

I am aware of some of the bigger players such as Skydio X10 and Parrot ANAFI, but those are like $15,000+ and such a big jump from the existing Mavic 3 we have currently.
I am not sure if those include more autonomy, FLIR cameras, or what puts their price so high, but $5000 is probably more of a realistic max we are looking for.

I don't believe we need to go as far as green or blue list approved, but a USA company or I guess just not Chinese would be one way to be on the safer side of things with this new purchase.

I just need to get construction photos during the day, probably nothing overly fancy in terms of special hardware needs, the Mavic 3 for example would have been all we needed.
What brands/models are people aware of that would be worth considering?

I need some help looking into some reputable brands of drones, but of course the desire is also to try and be cost effective.

I work in Texas and a lot of project photos will be of state DOT projects (TXDOT).
Unfortunately they need to follow state DIR rules which includes a list of prohibited software and hardware companies and of course DJI is on that list.

(Slight side note, it sounds like nationally we may be getting more bans or maybe it's just the sale of new products and DJI specific? I haven't looked into it much, but heard a few days ago something passed regarding DJI at a minimum.)

The other minor concern would be if we happened to find a company not currently banned/prohibited, but in 6-18 months maybe they get added to that list. I think the only fairly realistic case of that would be if it is another Chinese company or has ties to China. Autel for example may not be on that list now, but I believe they are based out of China and may be a risk getting their product?

I am aware of some of the bigger players such as Skydio X10 and Parrot ANAFI, but those are like $15,000+ and such a big jump from the existing Mavic 3 we have currently.
I am not sure if those include more autonomy, FLIR cameras, or what puts their price so high, but $5000 is probably more of a realistic max we are looking for.

I don't believe we need to go as far as green or blue list approved, but a USA company or I guess just not Chinese would be one way to be on the safer side of things with this new purchase.

I just need to get construction photos during the day, probably nothing overly fancy in terms of special hardware needs, the Mavic 3 for example would have been all we needed.
If you have not done so already, take a look at Anzu Robotics.

I might be looking at Anzu - here: Drones: American Option Emerges Amid DJI Ban Saga

Thanks, I will be looking into them for sure.
Kind of leery at first to jump into a new unproven company, but I guess they got rights to build an existing proven platform?
Perhaps software will be the only thing in question then for known quality and how much they keep up with it.

Good thing is I personally like green and they went all in with that color lol.

Only initial drawback is it seems like we take a step back a bit to Mavic 3E which I'd have to see how dumbed down or different that is from a modern day 3 or 3 pro, but at least it's opening the door to a permitted drone.

I'm willing to also look into some other companies if others want to add anything or if anyone has direct experience with an Anzu drone already and can comment on that.

Thanks, I will be looking into them for sure.
Kind of leery at first to jump into a new unproven company, but I guess they got rights to build an existing proven platform?
Perhaps software will be the only thing in question then for known quality and how much they keep up with it.

Good thing is I personally like green and they went all in with that color lol.

Only initial drawback is it seems like we take a step back a bit to Mavic 3E which I'd have to see how dumbed down or different that is from a modern day 3 or 3 pro, but at least it's opening the door to a permitted drone.

I'm willing to also look into some other companies if others want to add anything or if anyone has direct experience with an Anzu drone already and can comment on that.
I completely understand your concern regarding software.
It is my understanding that the flight software is an exact match just different branding upon start up.
The link below is to a video regarding the new developments.
In this video, the Anzu Robotics, story is touched on.

Reactions: EMS and EhmayWuntee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drone615