Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone Registration and Weight . . . FAA sets it straight . . .

And it's worth noting, I think, that although the new Mavic Mini has 249g in the specs (to avoid the registration regulations around the world), the minute you add the prop guards or even an ND filter when they're available, it will put it over the 250g lower limit. So realistically, I have to wonder what all the hype is about - "I can now fly anywhere I like." "Er, no you can't..."!

Reactions: BigAl07
Regardless oof the need to register or not, no matter the weight you still have to follow all applicable regulations.

And this is confusing so many people. DJI marketing this drone as a “no need to register” is confusing people into thinking they don’t have to follow the rules either....

Reactions: Ajkm and Phaedrus
Regardless oof the need to register or not, no matter the weight you still have to follow all applicable regulations.

In Canada, although most of CARs Pt IX (including drone registration and pilot examination) isn't going to be applicable because the MM doesn't fall within the sRPA classification (i.e. "small remotely piloted aircraft - which is defined in CARs 101.01 with the 250g-25kg limits) unless it has its prop guards on, *all* RPAs fall within CARs 900.06 which prohibits "reckless or negligent" operation that would "endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person." I'm sure FARs have something similar.

And this is confusing so many people. DJI marketing this drone as a “no need to register” is confusing people into thinking they don’t have to follow the rules either....

And even with the larger drones that clearly fall within regulation, there are many who think they don't have to follow the rules (or just can't be bothered with them) - see YouTube and the Mavic/Spark Pilots forum for ample evidence.

Of course, the obvious end result of the behaviour of the "buy and fly" crowd is going to be the lowering or elimination altogether of the 250g regulation point. I daresay that, for the professionals here, that's not actually going to be much of an issue as we're all registered, certificated, and flying within the regs anyway...

He is saying that if you are flying under part 107 (ie; for commercial reasons), the drone needs to be registered. In that case you are a part 107 operator.

However, a certified part 107 pilot can also fly for recreational purposes, in which case the quad under 250 grams does not need to be registered.

I fly a quad that is 79 grams for fun. It does not need to be registered.

Reactions: Phaedrus
The confusion is exacerbated by the wording at the FAADroneZone site; where it states in bold text, "Register your aircraft using this website if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg.)" It's only in the much smaller print next to "I fly under Part 107 or as a Public Aircraft" that one might notice mention of "0.55 lbs." has been omitted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM