Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone2Map

NMUnmanned

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if any one has had any experience with Esri's Drone2Map software. We have just begun to explore it and it is a powerful tool but we have experienced some issues with buildings that have taller sections, such as a tower attached, that throws off the 3D rendering. Any one out there had any luck. We are in touch with Esri to try to sort it out, just thought I would check the collective knowledge here too.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have a license and used it a few times, but now only use it for single flight quick renders. My feeling is it just lacks the depth that other software can provide. My hope when I first got it (D2M) was that it would easily integrate with our GIS system and allow for some easier workflows. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way and just turned into another 'thing' to confuse our GIS and IT folks.

I have a license and used it a few times, but now only use it for single flight quick renders. My feeling is it just lacks the depth that other software can provide. My hope when I first got it (D2M) was that it would easily integrate with our GIS system and allow for some easier workflows. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way and just turned into another 'thing' to confuse our GIS and IT folks.

We are well embedded in the ESRI platform and our GIS folks seem to be doing just fine with it so far. Our products are getting better as we perfect the process of collecting the right imagery for the software.

Hello,

I was wondering if any one has had any experience with Esri's Drone2Map software. We have just begun to explore it and it is a powerful tool but we have experienced some issues with buildings that have taller sections, such as a tower attached, that throws off the 3D rendering. Any one out there had any luck. We are in touch with Esri to try to sort it out, just thought I would check the collective knowledge here too.

Drone2Map is ESRIs solution based upon Pix4D. I looked at it a few times and went with Pix4D which is more capable and offers more control over the end product. The rendering problem is a technique based problem and not a software problem. If you are solely going for a 3D model, you need to alter how you are capturing your data by including more 360 images of the areas that are rendering improperly. It takes a lot more than a nadir set to build a 3D model, and that is where I think your problem lies. I only look at topography of the surface (construction side) and that is as far as I go in the 3D world. Maybe someone with more modelling experience will chime in with a solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker