Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Dronebase job

That is the definition of a cheap job. You gave them some pics for free or cheap, or flew a mission for a friend for free or cheap. And after that you have some deliverables in your portfolio to show to future clients. If DroneBase or Droners paid you $100 for the exact same thing when you just started out it would be an extra $100 in the budget and some portfolio filler, not undercutting expert pilots with cheap labor. It seems like the pilots here arguing against doing cheap jobs are the ones who don't need to do cheap jobs any more to fill their portfolio, but used to do cheap jobs when they started.
You are incorrect. And your definition really needs to be updated, because there was no "job" to be cheap except the one I made up in my head and turned into a mock job, and had no deliverables to give at completion except to myself.

Since I was hitting up places that did not want/need aerial photos nor maps/models, I wasn't "trading". Also, the agreement was that I could go and do the maps, and models whatever I needed, and that was that. I gave them a few photos which cost me nothing while already in flight. This was a "thank you" for allowing me access, not a payment or a fee I was paying them and was never required. I also got to choose when to do it, how much time to put in, and even refly a mission if needed. These were done in basically an academic setting, not a job that I have to turn up for when they want, do what they want, and then deliver something to them.

And instead of doing cheap jobs to gain experience, maybe take a few courses and learn in an academic environment, instead of just working cheap and doing a crap job that hurts the entire industry. Or, like I said before, maybe look for an apprenticeship instead of "being your own boss with no experience, no training, and no idea of what to do". Instead, work for someone, like how people used to learn vocational trades. But a troll has gotta troll...

Seems like the pilots arguing for more cheap jobs have no idea what their time is worth, and common business sense may not be that common. But go ahead with more flippant responses proving you don't even read before replying.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeA and rx7ward
All of that is either fixed expenses or already sunk cost.
I do get jobs that are five minutes away because I don’t live in a remote area.
And 85 bucks for 10 pictures with a five minute drive is well worth it to me.
My real points is if the job doesn’t make sense to you businesswise then just don’t take it and stop complaining. Find another way to get jobs that’s just the way Dronebase works.
I’ve never seen a job go un taken. Because it made sense to someone else.
Having said that because I am a senior pilot for them I get some really great jobs and make some good money.
I will drive an hour each way for a $500 gig.
Good for you Jim. My point was that these people will lowball until they can't get someone else to take the job. You are correct they are fixed expenses; however the accountant wants to identify the expense doesn't change the fact it is an expense.

They have someone to drive up the mountain and do the job because they stopped sending it to me. If someone is making good money from these brokers that is great, and I would drive an hour for a $500.00 job as most of us would.

I was actually willing to do the job for them for a lot less than I normally would because I had another motive to do so.
As for complaining, I have learned that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I know these brokers read this forum.

I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: MikeA
Good for you Jim. My point was that these people will lowball until they can't get someone else to take the job. You are correct they are fixed expenses; however the accountant wants to identify the expense doesn't change the fact it is an expense.

They have someone to drive up the mountain and do the job because they stopped sending it to me. If someone is making good money from these brokers that is great, and I would drive an hour for a $500.00 job as most of us would.

I was actually willing to do the job for them for a lot less than I normally would because I had another motive to do so.
As for complaining, I have learned that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I know these brokers read this forum.

I wish you the best of luck.
Last I checked that's exactly how a free trade system should work.
Supply and demand. Right now the supply exceeds the demand, so the prices are low.
Yup that's exactly how it is done lower the price until no one will take it.
This trade is very easy to get into - low cost for equipment, super easy to get a 107, plus it is fun.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel just gets replaced.

A few years ago it was fun, now it is just a job. Good point regarding supply and demand.
I only have one job that I do that I don't charge travel. It's the two dams that I live by and do every sixty days.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I hope we didn't derail the OP's original topic too much. I definitely appreciate learning so much from the 99% of people here like @R.Perry @dirkclod that share their experience in good faith and want to see this profession exist responsibly and sustainably. When I started my last career I was lucky to have good guidance at the beginning as a trainee as well. And in my 11 years of professional inspection work, many of them being the senior person on site and the project manager responsible for big budget jobs, I always tried to think about the situation of people just starting out and how to make their path in that industry as good as it could be. @Enorda thinks I am trolling by saying "beginners can't really afford to charge high rates until they show some ability or deliverable", so many of them tend to take low budget jobs out of the gate. My posts here are professionally minded and even if we disagree there is nothing personal behind that.

Reactions: dirkclod
My wife was an attorney, I have listened to her have very heated debates with other attorneys and then go to lunch together. Point being debate and differences of opinions are good especially if we learn from them.

A question to all you guys with dronebase experience:
Do the pay in time according what it says on their website?
I just read this on dronebase' Facebook page. A post from three weeks ago:

"I’ve completed 21 missions since September 2022 and drone base still hasn’t paid me. Client sent payment but drone base uses Stripe to pay pilots which adds another layer of payment delays. If you do the work you should be paid ASAP. But not with Drone Base. And they get a cut of your pay yet won’t answer emails or even answer their phones a return voicemails.
Stay far away from this company. It will cause you more stress than anything else. If I don’t get paid in another week I will be suing drone base."

A question to all you guys with dronebase experience:
Do the pay in time according what it says on their website?
I just read this on dronebase' Facebook page. A post from three weeks ago:

"I’ve completed 21 missions since September 2022 and drone base still hasn’t paid me. Client sent payment but drone base uses Stripe to pay pilots which adds another layer of payment delays. If you do the work you should be paid ASAP. But not with Drone Base. And they get a cut of your pay yet won’t answer emails or even answer their phones a return voicemails.
Stay far away from this company. It will cause you more stress than anything else. If I don’t get paid in another week I will be suing drone base."
I’ve always gotten paid right away. There are some jobs we have to wait three days for the client to approve but OK
Never failed to pay me. Maybe you should think that you didn’t do the missions right?

Reactions: MaxHam
I’ve always gotten paid right away. There are some jobs we have to wait three days for the client to approve but OK
Never failed to pay me. Maybe you should think that you didn’t do the missions right?
Thanks, it wasn't me who posted this on FB.
But good to know that this guy's experience is apparently not common.

@MaxHam I have flown missions for them in the past. Always pay within 14 days. That is totally unacceptable. Have you reached out to them via email? [email protected]. Does your dashboard say mission paid?
As mentioned - I never posted this on FB. Someone else did.
I just got accepted as a pilot by them today.
Also droners.io accepted me today. 1.5h later I got the 1st job offer in my direct vicinity in LA.
Did sound like an easy job, maybe 1.5 hours, $140 was the offer. My final offer was $110 and I didn't get it. I don't like how they put pilots into competition by underbidding each other. That is very greedy.

I have flown 60+ for Dronebase and generally been paid promptly. Something has changed though in recent months. Currently, several existing missions I have completed remain unpaid now more than two weeks after being finished.

I am ready to hang it up with them.

I have flown 60+ for Dronebase and generally been paid promptly. Something has changed though in recent months. Currently, several existing missions I have completed remain unpaid now more than two weeks after being finished.

I am ready to hang it up with them.
Weird. I am getting paid fairly quickly (usually within 7-10 days). Have you contacted support?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905