Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DroneBase

Phtm3

Reaction score
Is anyone getting jobs with DB without having liability insurance ?
Will DB offer jobs while you are on a Temp. Part 107 cert? My permanent FAA lic. Has not arrived yet.
I did get the OK they I’m all set to go and “Sit tight we’ll reach out to you when we have a mission”
I’m in FL.

It's a very bad idea to operate w/o liability insurance. You can get it by the HOUR now so cost shouldn't be an issue.

DroneBase is a bottom feeder IMHO.
I agree.
Who are other companies that contract out and are not bottom feeders ?

It's a very bad idea to operate w/o liability insurance. You can get it by the HOUR now so cost shouldn't be an issue.

DroneBase is a bottom feeder IMHO.
Who do you use for liability?
The question was if DB hires if you don’t have insurance. I use AOPA.

Will DB offer jobs while you are on a Temp. Part 107 cert? My permanent FAA lic. Has not arrived yet.
I did get the OK they I’m all set to go and “Sit tight we’ll reach out to you when we have a mission”
I’m in FL.
DB says that you are covered under their insurance, but that is suicide if you trust anyone else but your own coverage.

I agree.
Who are other companies that contract out and are not bottom feeders ?
I can't answer that as they all seem to be bottom feeders. I find it's much more profitable and beneficial to hit the pavement and get my own clients. I devote 1 day a week to just researching and reaching out to new clients. This is in addition to leads, ideas, and suggestions I get from other sources all the time.

Who do you use for liability?
The question was if DB hires if you don’t have insurance. I use AOPA.
My policy is actually expiring in a couple of weeks and I'm gettin quotes now.

Verify
Skywatch.AI
AMA

and I am waiting on a quote from my local insurance company right now and I'll compare Skywatch.AI and AMA to my local once the quote is in.

Reactions: tleedom and Phtm3

Verify
Skywatch.AI
AMA

and I am waiting on a quote from my local insurance company right now and I'll compare Skywatch.AI and AMA to my local once the quote is in.
Have you tried Hiscox? I did the application just to see what the cost would be and they are less than AOPA and several other.

Reactions: BigAl07
Have you tried Hiscox? I did the application just to see what the cost would be and they are less than AOPA and several other.

I have not but I'll google it and reach out to them today. Honestly, I don't think I've even heard of them before.

Thanks for the Heads Up!

Update: They do have good rates ($180 less than AMA annually) but their deductible is considerably higher than it is with other options. I've got a message in with them now to see what options we have in that regard and to make sure the coverage is apples to apples to what I already have quoted. They don't have a specific allowance/mention of Drones and some companies actually EXCLUDE drones because they are classified as "Aviation/Aircraft". I went down that road already with a previous provider and it was a nonnegotiable loophole.

Update #2: Hiscox will not cover drones, UAS, MultiRotors or anything that flies. Aviation is an exclusion for all of their policies. They will refer you to another provider called Insurance Bee. After a prolonged hold with them they DO NOT COVER DRONES! They suggested I call Simply Business. I don't have a Warm & Fuzzy about this LOL.

Allen

Last edited:
Checkout thimble.com. You can pay for coverage per job if that is what you're looking for. Used to be verifly.

Reactions: BigAl07
I’m in FL.
They will give you jobs with a temp permit.
No they don’t require insurance. At the rate of pay you can’t afford insurance.
But don’t expect to earn any real money. For one thing they don’t have all that many jobs in Florida. For another thing the race to the bottom is already won.

Verify
Skywatch.AI
AMA

Mine is renewing in 60 days. Have you looked at PPA.com ?

Use of Drones is exclude..
Um I think you're mistaken there. Thimble does do drone/UAS insurance. It's even listed on their home page:

Drone Insurance
Protects drone and UAV pilots against damage or injury to a third party. It’s where we got our start as Verifly.

Here's their Drone Insurance sign-up page:

Reactions: Hawkwind and Phtm3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM