Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drones with cattle

I have flown over cattle with the Inspire 2 and hadn't seen it spook them. Cousin has a cattle ranch a few miles from us. Cattle are stupid, they just follow their noses so the drone is used to locate them. What we did was launch from the top of one of the hills then used the drone to spot stray cattle so the guys could go round them up. He has since got his own drone and uses it extensively and has told me he now considers it a must have tool. So used properly it's a good tool, just don't try to herd them with the drone.

I watched an interesting video of a shepherd who taught his sheep to follow his drone by rewarding them with 'treats' when they did.

My experience in the UK is that they don't like drones at all. Our inspire 2 produces a consistent response when within 200 - 300' - heads go up and they run! For that reason I'm always cautious when cattle are penned, just in case they panic.

All the farmers I've worked with say that the drone sounds like one of the flies species which plague cattle during the summer. No evidence of this myself but it sounds possible.

This is going to sound very silly - because it is - but I wonder if something akin to this, might change the sound sufficiently so that the cattle no longer fear the drone - and the video is for fun, but I can imagine some mini version, attached to each prop - just so that it slightly changes the sound... I know it is sounding more idiotic the more I type... but now I have to post it anyway, for fun

I just looked again and the link says it is not pro.
Don’t miss the comment above - you are required to keep your drone in visual line of sight at all times. You are certainly not going to be able to see it at anything even approaching a mile, the eye simply can not detect something the size of a small drone at that distance. 500m should be ample distance, and is at about the range of visibility anyway.

Ajkm, you are missing one key point, you can get a wavier to fly beyond line of site, obviously many companies are receiving these waivers, same with overflight of people.
As for line of site, I have 20/10 vision, I can see the Inspire 2 at 2200 feet, but I can't see the Mavic at that distance. So where do we draw the line at what distance line of sight actually is? I had an observer one day that couldn't track the Inspire 2 at 1300 feet, I had to keep pointing it to her. I do believe we are going to see some major changes in these rules in the near future.

Not
Ajkm, you are missing one key point, you can get a wavier to fly beyond line of site, obviously many companies are receiving these waivers, same with overflight of people.
As for line of site, I have 20/10 vision, I can see the Inspire 2 at 2200 feet, but I can't see the Mavic at that distance. So where do we draw the line at what distance line of sight actually is? I had an observer one day that couldn't track the Inspire 2 at 1300 feet, I had to keep pointing it to her. I do believe we are going to see some major changes in these rules in the near future.
Not missing anything at all actually - and a 13-year old pilot isn't going to get a waiver for anything. There's a very simple line already drawn: can you see the attitude (orientation) and altitude of your drone with the unaided eye or via a VO? Yes, is VLOS; no, it's beyond VLOS.

Not

Not missing anything at all actually - and a 13-year old pilot isn't going to get a waiver for anything. There's a very simple line already drawn: can you see the attitude (orientation) and altitude of your drone with the unaided eye or via a VO? Yes, is VLOS; no, it's beyond VLOS.

What in the world does a 13 year old person have to do with the subject? Your attempting to tell me I can't see an Inspire 2 at 2200 feet, I can see it. Telling orientation is extremely easy at that distance for me. You can't accurately tell the altitude at a thousand feet, but you can get a good idea. If you lose your display and don't descend or climb your altitude should remain what it was before you lost the video feed. Besides, there is always RTH if all else fails. So, tell me what the line is, and for what drones?
When I went through the course at Avion in Huntsville, AL, that's one of the things we practiced repeatedly, knowing how to determine the drones orientation when it was merely a small dot in the sky to most of the students.

What in the world does a 13 year old person have to do with the subject? Your attempting to tell me I can't see an Inspire 2 at 2200 feet, I can see it. Telling orientation is extremely easy at that distance for me. You can't accurately tell the altitude at a thousand feet, but you can get a good idea. If you lose your display and don't descend or climb your altitude should remain what it was before you lost the video feed. Besides, there is always RTH if all else fails. So, tell me what the line is, and for what drones?
When I went through the course at Avion in Huntsville, AL, that's one of the things we practiced repeatedly, knowing how to determine the drones orientation when it was merely a small dot in the sky to most of the students.
OP.

"knowing how to determine the drones orientation when it was merely a small dot in the sky to most of the students."

You're clearly absolutely brilliant with superhuman powers.

"knowing how to determine the drones orientation when it was merely a small dot in the sky to most of the students."

You're clearly absolutely brilliant with superhuman powers.

No, it is knowing what your doing. I haven't mastered walking on water yet, but working on it.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905