Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DroneZone: Waiver & Authorization Requests

Thanks for posting...I'd like to expand on that and ask if anyone who has received a waiver would be willing to share it with the group as a sample of what kind of content they are looking for. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kendle
I have not heard of anyone who has gotten approval through the new portal yet. Keep in mind the only thing that has changed is the "Front End" not the actual processors behind the scenes. It's like they've put new paint and trim on the store front but everything is still the same once you get in the front door.

As @BigAl07 said, new paint on the front end. One thing that is nice is that it will now fill many of the fields with info from your profile. And, it logs your application and it is listed. Before, you may get an email confirmation that they got you app or you may not so you were left in limbo.

I have 2 applications in through the new portal but it will be awhile yet before they will go through I'm sure. But DroneZone seems to be an improvement in my opinion for the reasons I mentioned.

Reactions: BigAl07
I wasn't aware of the new page, but I took a look and it seems much more convenient. I plan on submitting an airspace waiver since my flights are all at set heights next to a structure so hopefully they will approve it. I currently have 6 authorizations that have been renewed once that allow me to operate pretty much anywhere up to a certain height and excluding a small radius on top of airports.

I have been there, just like others have said, its just a new paint job. I have 5 NAS request in progress, over 90 days, just being told "There in the que" which is of no help at all. Very disappointed in this process. Ultimately, the LAANC will be the way to go, but my question is what do we do in the mean time?

I have been there, just like others have said, its just a new paint job. I have 5 NAS request in progress, over 90 days, just being told "There in the que" which is of no help at all. Very disappointed in this process. Ultimately, the LAANC will be the way to go, but my question is what do we do in the mean time?

Unfortunately we don't have much of an option but hurry up and wait.

One piece of advice... when you get your first one contact the person who issues it and let them know you have others. It's possible they can help get them pushed through.

I am going to stay encouraged. at least they are recognizing the need for such a resource. That is a small start

The FAA did recently update the Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines that are specifically designed to assist part 107 remote pilots with the non-airspace waiver applications. They did this to reduce the rejection rate and to give the analysts the info they need to complete a risk assessment. You can find them on the FAADroneZone at Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines for Part 107 Waiver Applications Keep in mind that you need to be logged into the FAADroneZone to get access. It breaks down the requirements for each different provision, e.g. night, over people, BVLOS etc.

Here's another question about DroneZone: I registered my Phantom prior to receiving my 107 and now through DroneZone it wants me to register it again and pay the $5 again. Is this an error on their part, or do I have to double pay. Will my Phantom need 2 FAA registration numbers?

Hey, same thing happened to me! I was told I didn't need to register again, but, can't figure out how to make the system do this. I understand that they have split the DroneZone into 2 tabs, one for recreational, and the other for 107. The primary difference is that for recreational, one only needs 1 registration that applies to all of your aircraft regardless of how many you operate. On the contrary, when operating under part 107 each aircraft needs its own unique registration. So, my issue is I only have one aircraft, I was recreational but now have a part 107 airman certificate. Why can't I use the one registration number? I know someone on the inside, so I'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow and post the response here.

Hey, same thing happened to me! I was told I didn't need to register again, but, can't figure out how to make the system do this. I understand that they have split the DroneZone into 2 tabs, one for recreational, and the other for 107. The primary difference is that for recreational, one only needs 1 registration that applies to all of your aircraft regardless of how many you operate. On the contrary, when operating under part 107 each aircraft needs its own unique registration. So, my issue is I only have one aircraft, I was recreational but now have a part 107 airman certificate. Why can't I use the one registration number? I know someone on the inside, so I'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow and post the response here.

If you originally registered it as a Hobbyist you will indeed need to register it ($5) as a Commercial Aircraft now. The good news is that a Commercial Registered aircraft can also be flown for hobby/fun under a Commercial Reg #.

On the flip side a Hobby registered sUAS can NOT be flown commercially.

When you register under the Hobby side of things the same Reg# goes on any/all of your hobby sUAS. I have dozens of Hobby aircraft and they all have the same Reg# on them. When you register a Commercial Aircraft you are registering each individual aircraft ($5 each) and they each get their own unique Commercial Reg#.

Here's another question about DroneZone: I registered my Phantom prior to receiving my 107 and now through DroneZone it wants me to register it again and pay the $5 again. Is this an error on their part, or do I have to double pay. ....

Did you initially register it as a hobby or Commercial aircraft? If hobby yes you will need to register it again under the Commercial side.

For those following, your Registration Stats should have migrated over from the old system into DroneZone. Be sure to check both the hobby and Commercial Dashboard accordingly.

....Will my Phantom need 2 FAA registration numbers?
Per FAA Regulations you can only have ONE registration# on any aircraft. Whichever registration is the most recent is the one that should be on the aircraft (most likely Commercial at this point).

I had to register for a NEW number when I got my Part 107. This is the one that stays on your bird, regardless of how your flying.

If you originally registered it as a Hobbyist you will indeed need to register it ($5) as a Commercial Aircraft now. The good news is that a Commercial Registered aircraft can also be flown for hobby/fun under a Commercial Reg #.

On the flip side a Hobby registered sUAS can NOT be flown commercially.

When you register under the Hobby side of things the same Reg# goes on any/all of your hobby sUAS. I have dozens of Hobby aircraft and they all have the same Reg# on them. When you register a Commercial Aircraft you are registering each individual aircraft ($5 each) and they each get their own unique Commercial Reg#.

Yep, so that's exactly what I came up with today. In fact, on the FAA's website in the registration FAQs it specifically states exactly that. It works one way, but not the other. My rub was that I only have one aircraft, and the system will let me register it under part 107, but for an additional $5 and receive a new number. It makes sense if you read the actual regulatory provisions of 14 CFR part 48.110 and .115.

This one statement adds a certain level of "uncertainty" to the system:

Beginning in April, the LAANC prototype will expand into a national beta. By the end of the year, more than 500 towered airports across the United States will begin offering LAANC authorization.

So it looks like they are "prepping us" for the realization that it's not going to be 100% implemented by July of this year.

I have 2 authorizations under review. They were submitted Jan. 22nd and Jan. 30th. As a new Part 107 pilot, this is my 1st experience requesting authorization. I realized I had a minor typo in my 1st request, so I followed up with a 2nd request fixing the typo and with some refined flight limits. I sure hope it goes well!

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM