Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Energy Related Conferences

I attended the AUVSI that was in Denver a couple years ago. It was pretty pricy unless you only got the exhibit hall pass and did not attend any of the conferences. At that time AUVSI didn't have a lot that was specific to Energy. They seemed to show a little about a lot of different subjects.

Reactions: Nitz
I attended the AUVSI that was in Denver a couple years ago. It was pretty pricy unless you only got the exhibit hall pass and did not attend any of the conferences. At that time AUVSI didn't have a lot that was specific to Energy. They seemed to show a little about a lot of different subjects.

I appreciate the response. The trouble I'm having is that most the conference is all hosted by vendors and not users. While I find vendors provide great insight, they sometimes lack the candor needed to make good decisions. I went to one in Houston last year that was like a sales seminar. Any question was met with 'Sure, we can do that!' when I was looking for 'yes, but 'SHOULD' we as an agency' ... met with 'we've never done it...'

Anyone attend the 'Energy Drone Coalition' conference and know if it's worthwhile?
Energy Drone & Robotics Summit, June 11-13, 2019 in Houston

I'm looking for a conference to attend, with an emphasis on energy, but most are either looking like pure product marketing or a fly by night conference.

AUVSI?
Commerial Drone Expo?
etc.

I've been with a U.S. based major oil & gas corporation for 30 years (background), and found AUVSI and more so, Energy Drone Coalition to be the best for O&G type of "Energy". Which types of energy are you interested in?

The biggest benefit of these two events for me are the seminars, training sessions, and panel discussions. I'd say I spend 90% of my time in sessions and 10% on the product floor. I've been attending for the last 2-3 years for both, and have been asked to participate on panels. Great experience.

There are lots of opportunities to create new networks for learning or getting involved. ALL of the leaders in this space attend both these events. That includes everything from regulatory (FAA, LLE), Education (University robotics programs), major OEM's, and major users. You can easily meet up with a guy who has been doing real estate photography, or someone who is flying a Jump 20 at an FAA test site. All are there.

The OEM / service provider floor booths are a great way to keep up with the technology and advancements from software, hardware, 3rd party bolt-ons, and new, emerging tech (vehicles, communications, flight control, payload sensors, safety gear, etc.).

AUVSI switches venues each year I believe. Last year was Denver, this year is Chicago. Energy Drone I think is always in Houston (last 2 years anyway)

Hope this helps a bit, but happy to answer more questions if I can.

I've been with a U.S. based major oil & gas corporation for 30 years (background), and found AUVSI and more so, Energy Drone Coalition to be the best for O&G type of "Energy". Which types of energy are you interested in?

The biggest benefit of these two events for me are the seminars, training sessions, and panel discussions. I'd say I spend 90% of my time in sessions and 10% on the product floor. I've been attending for the last 2-3 years for both, and have been asked to participate on panels. Great experience.

There are lots of opportunities to create new networks for learning or getting involved. ALL of the leaders in this space attend both these events. That includes everything from regulatory (FAA, LLE), Education (University robotics programs), major OEM's, and major users. You can easily meet up with a guy who has been doing real estate photography, or someone who is flying a Jump 20 at an FAA test site. All are there.

The OEM / service provider floor booths are a great way to keep up with the technology and advancements from software, hardware, 3rd party bolt-ons, and new, emerging tech (vehicles, communications, flight control, payload sensors, safety gear, etc.).

AUVSI switches venues each year I believe. Last year was Denver, this year is Chicago. Energy Drone I think is always in Houston (last 2 years anyway)

Hope this helps a bit, but happy to answer more questions if I can.

I greatly appreciate the response. I’m primarily looking for conferences to network with other utilities (Energy) to talk about best practices and lessons learned and talk to vendors familiar with the industry.

As you’re aware, being in the industry, the culture is a big challenge.

While its not directly drone-related, ESRI (who makes the ArcGIS software) hosts their Petroleum GIS Conference in Houston every May. Again, its not directly drone-related, but they have been covering more topics related to UAV use in the oil and gas industries, especially how they are used in GIS.

Reactions: KLAX
While its not directly drone-related, ESRI (who makes the ArcGIS software) hosts their Petroleum GIS Conference in Houston every May. Again, its not directly drone-related, but they have been covering more topics related to UAV use in the oil and gas industries, especially how they are used in GIS.

They've actually developed at least one application within the ESRI ecosystem which is all about UAS. There are a ton of players in this space; some are for power users (ESRI, PIX4D, etc.), and some are for less "power user" (DroneDeploy, Hangar, etc.)
Here's a link: Drone2Map for ArcGIS | Turn Your Drone into an Enterprise GIS Productivity Tool

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM