Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Entering the Business

Mark Chaffee

Reaction score
Does anyone have some good ideas on how to start this as a side business. I live in a semi rural area and would like to try to sell my services to some of my farming neighbors. What are some things I could provide them?

Does anyone have some good ideas on how to start this as a side business. I live in a semi rural area and would like to try to sell my services to some of my farming neighbors. What are some things I could provide them?
That you would have to ask the farmers, they know what their issues are. Go to the morning breakfast gatherings and get acquainted with the who's who's. Being your town is very small you probably know the "business gossip".
Another idea Sailing Central there by Lake Independence, maybe they would like aerials for their web site? http://sailingcentralusa.com/photos.html

Mark, read all u can about drones in regarding agriculture, dronedeploy is the first start. I'm sure other will tell u more than I can.

If you plan to work at agriculture industry, you don't talk to the farmer for business you talk to the farm management company or the Pest Control Adviser. These are the folks that will get you business.

The most you can do without a multipectral camera is scouting for the farmer. Problem with that is the farmer can do this himself with an off-shelf drone.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
hi ,
We are working on drones research for startup that is focused on agriculture at a renowned university in USA. If you need any help you can contact me on

Name : Sam
Email : [email protected]
Phone : +1 - 585 319 2599

I live in Central California and my wife's families were farmers, they are also so cheap they squeak when they walk. Many years ago I was a crop duster for many of them, I think if you look at the corporate farms you might have a little better luck.
The ranchers have hired drones to locate cattle that have wondered off, but they don't want to pay very well.
Their was some work in our area with the DEA looking for pot farms but now that it is legal here that is gone.
Talk to your local law enforcement and fire people they may be able to give you some work.

In your case, your best bet is likely to hire a software company to create custom firmware for your agricultural drone. Depending on whether you use it for imagine, spraying or even planting, software like this can be tailored to your exact needs. Check it out.

It's tough, been trying the same in my area. Most farmers will see you as 'just another guy with a drone'. Don't bother the farmers. They can do it themselves (most do it without part 107).

It's tough, been trying the same in my area. Most farmers will see you as 'just another guy with a drone'. Don't bother the farmers. They can do it themselves (most do it without part 107).

Why would a farmer or rancher using a drone on his own property want to bother with a 107. No body is going to bother him on his own land, now if you wants to do work for others, then must have a 107.

for anyone who is working in agriculture, are the jobs mostly one time gigs or do you have customers who have you fly regularly (every few monthes, once per year)?

If you plan to work at agriculture industry, you don't talk to the farmer for business you talk to the farm management company or the Pest Control Adviser. These are the folks that will get you business.

The most you can do without a multipectral camera is scouting for the farmer. Problem with that is the farmer can do this himself with an off-shelf drone.

Good Luck.
Definitely agree with this. We have some mid-western farmers that have purchased and are flying their P4Ps on a regular basis on large sugar beet farms. Being out in the forefront of the technology will remain an advantage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM