Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Explanation needed on how to use aerial data?

AdoSA

Reaction score
After a few months practicing aerial data capture and aerial data processing I can, with some level of confidance, now scout a potential site, plan a mission, fly a misson, import data into Agisoft Metashape and, after processing, finish with solid quality models.

Can someone be kind enough to explain what exactly can I offer to engineers, architects and contractors and what of those models to they really need?
How do you approach your potentional customers in construction business with all the posibilities of processed aerial data and do you demonstrate it with some GIS/CAD program, or do you just present them with the data?
Is this data critical during construction project design or construction project implementation and what is the best time to approach with drone power :D?

Thanks

After a few months practicing aerial data capture and aerial data processing I can, with some level of confidance, now scout a potential site, plan a mission, fly a misson, import data into Agisoft Metashape and, after processing, finish with solid quality models.

Can someone be kind enough to explain what exactly can I offer to engineers, architects and contractors and what of those models to they really need?
How do you approach your potentional customers in construction business with all the posibilities of processed aerial data and do you demonstrate it with some GIS/CAD program, or do you just present them with the data?
Is this data critical during construction project design or construction project implementation and what is the best time to approach with drone power :D?

Thanks

In some cases you need to be able to break the data down and explain it after you analyze it. In other cases you will do stockpile assessments. Still in other cases the company just wants images to chart construction progress or site mapping which you may need to do for them. It all depends on the client. You need a background in GIS or CADD; at least able to do basic tasks.

Reactions: AdoSA
So just how much GIS/CAD do I need to know to be able to demonstrate posibilities of processed aerial data?

So just how much GIS/CAD do I need to know to be able to demonstrate posibilities of processed aerial data?
If you are asked what the dataset means, you should be able to leverage the software to arrive at an answer that your customer understands. A UAS is just a tool; just like a hammer or screwdriver. If you don't have the background knowledge to use the tool (i.e. professional knowledge or a good understanding of the technical issues you are performing), what you are offering is just an opinion and generally aren't worth much.

Processing data is one thing. Do you know how to prove that the model or data you provided is valid and accurate? That is what an engineer is going to at one point ask. How accurate is your data? Can you do volumetric measurements that are accurate to measure stockpiles over time? Contractors are going to want to track cut and fill on large jobs. They are going to expect accurate numbers. After all, this is money to them. Their budget covers only so much, and missed estimates on your part are going to cost them.

My overall point is you can't buy a UAS and spend a few months playing with it an then market yourself as a professional. The drone is just a small piece of the equation. You need knowledge in the field to be able to provide the support and answers your clients are going to need and be expected to pay for. "Quality models" are just window dressing. The real data is derived from the point clouds and the orthomosaics. Even if you are going to just market raw data with no analysis to make sense of it, you are going to have to understand how to obtain accurate data which takes more than just a UAS.

True. I already figured that there will be a ton new and exciting stuff to learn and figure out and thats why I'm asking ;) Whats the next step from here?
Since I'm still in process of learning I wouldn't mind doing some projects for free. Practical knowledge alone will be payoff enough and I need, at least, to know how to end up with a usable product before I offer even free projects to proffesionals if I want to be considered serious.
Since I'm already a proffesional in my own field I know how much education and practical experience a person needs when he provides services to customers. When I feel that my skills are high enough, I will then consider pricing with current market situation in mind. Currently I'm just enjoing learning process and the process of collecting data with UAS.
Also I don't mind sharing profits by teaming up with an engineer (geodesist etc) if the oportunity arises, but even in that case it would help if I have at least basic skills with his tools ;)

I have been doing construction documentation for almost two years now, and learned a couple of things. One thing if a client hasn't used drones in their projects most don't know what they can expect from aerial documentation and what data is available. When I started the job i'm on now the client didn't even know what mapping was. Once I did a full site mapping and showed him the accuracy they were amazed.
What the superintendent has told me several times now, the mapping, panos, and videos save him and his staff many hours of labor every day.
The only people that don't like UAV mapping is the surveyors, they see them as a threat to their jobs.

Reactions: lou101
The only people that don't like UAV mapping is the surveyors, they see them as a threat to their jobs.

Most of the younger guys we work with love em. It saves them time that they can spend in other areas. A few of the older guys are the holdouts because they feel that UAS' are a threat to their job. The way I see it, old age is more a threat and it will win in the end.

Reactions: Free2Fly
Most of the younger guys we work with love em. It saves them time that they can spend in other areas. A few of the older guys are the holdouts because they feel that UAS' are a threat to their job. The way I see it, old age is more a threat and it will win in the end.

Martin, you are probably correct, and the complaints I have heard is from the older old school guys. Since I'm not a surveyor I don't know their job and all it entails. With the accuracy that is now available it is truly amazing to me how accurate mapping and site information is. I'm an old school guy, but love technology, and coming from the baby boomer generation it truly amazes me.

If it’s not to much trouble, could you provide an idea of how you price, market, and maintain the mapping of your business? For instance do you use DroneDeploy? Or do you manually take the correct pictures and create a orthomosaic yourself? I would love to branch out into this industry/market however because of my young age I need to have ALL my ducks in a row for people to take me seriously, especially since I want to make a good first impression. Any advice would be appreciated

Martin, you are probably correct, and the complaints I have heard is from the older old school guys. Since I'm not a surveyor I don't know their job and all it entails. With the accuracy that is now available it is truly amazing to me how accurate mapping and site information is. I'm an old school guy, but love technology, and coming from the baby boomer generation it truly amazes me.
I work in Engineering/Survey. We absolutely love what the drone can do. It saves us time, money, and some of the scheduling issues. We can get more done in less time, which makes everyone happy. Being one of the older folks in question, I can honestly say we approached it with some skepticism at first. "If it sounds too good to be true.." After using it a few times we came around, though. Survey got better tools to work with when drones arrived. And this is the Model T days of drones. Can't wait to see what the future brings.

Reactions: dronecyclops
Desk based totally research isn't pretty much analyzing papers for crucial pieces of facts, it isn't pretty much tables, graphs, statistics and figures. For many, primary information is all around us; aerial pictures, for instance, is an essential source of data for researchers in landscape studies. This includes disciplines such as Landscape Archaeology (the take a look at of the way humans used landscapes within the past), Human Geography (how modern people utilise the landscape) and climate technology (to decide land use and situations; to tune - as an instance - the growth and retreat of seasonal ice and water stages or invasive vegetation species).

Anybody can discover ways to interpret aerial pics, and undergraduates in archaeology and geography will observe them inside the first yr of their degree. It is typically at grasp's degree that students will look at aerial photographs in high-quality quantity, and are regularly expected to provide academic reports or initiatives that utilise them in information that pass beyond simply deciphering the content of the image. Finally, they continue to be vital to cartographers in generating modern-day maps in spite of the prevalence of electronic methods and satellite tv for pc imagery in compiling our maps today (1), largely to take measurements whilst compiling those maps. Aerial pictures are essential to any take a look at of neighborhood environmental situations and they may be used in many specific methods, depending on the sort of picture used, the angle the photographs are taken at, and the elevation of the car used to take them.
What Is Aerial Photography and How Does It Work?

Aerial pictures is - because it sounds - the process of taking photos from the air, but there is extra to it than really using a mild plane or helicopter and flying up to take images. There are many factors to an aerial survey that have to be taken into consideration to make sure that the information is useful sufficient to extrapolate anything is being investigated. It is often hard to see elements of the panorama at the ground, features can without difficulty be overlooked, and what would possibly appear to be a mere bump from floor stage can emerge as greater widespread in a much broader context (2); some landscape types are hard to get admission to strolling so aerial photos are vital to study and map them.

They had been used as a way of landscape studies for over a century (three), in particular in archaeology and researchers have learnt a great deal approximately the sector around us; its applications today are vast and matched with the growing era of GIS (geographic statistics systems), the ability method that the approach will no longer become out of date any time soon. Aerial pics are taken in primary forms and each have one of a kind makes use of and packages: indirect and vertical. Even these days in an age of high first-class virtual imaging, black and white photographs are preferred - partially because they're less expensive but also partly due to the fact the comparison of black, white and greys makes it easier to pick out out functions (7).
Oblique

These pictures are typically taken at an attitude, usually 45 ranges however as they're frequently taken manually, they may be something perspective offers the first-class view of the characteristic or landscape. The oblique image is mostly utilized in archaeology to take a much wider context of a feature and the area around it, and also to present depth. Nearly constantly taken at a miles decrease elevation than the vertical picture and in few numbers, its application in all fairness restrained and frequently taken for a selected cause (8). There is a hassle in angle because the farther away a function is, the smaller it'll seem: nearer items of similar length seem large than the ones which are farther away so it's far often exceptional to take an expansion or to apply a frame of reference at the ground for attitude functions. These photos are taken from small fixed-wing plane and helicopters (three) and are ideally fitted for tracking erosion of capabilities and monuments during the 12 months and over the direction of many a long time (4).
Oblique Photographs: When Best to Take Them?

The time of yr is essential and many see iciness as the best season to take aerial photographs. There are many motives for this, not least of all that it's miles less complicated to peer features in fields that do not have crops and will no longer be ploughed for several greater months. Surviving capabilities beneath the floor will often display up darker because of the shallower tiers of soil. Snowy and frosty situations perfectly emphasise ridges and capabilities and they may be photographed with a readability not seen at every other time of the yr. The low level to which the solar rises casts a lot longer shadows, making visibility of above floor features an awful lot less difficult to spot. The ideal instance right here is relict medieval ridge and furrow functions (9).

That's not to say that the warmer months and longer hours of mild aren't conducive to aerial photography. If there are stone stays beneath a surface, vegetation will grow shallower as they cannot put down as tons root and functions will show up as crop marks. Late nighttime conditions additionally forged longer shadows and the differing mild degrees among morning, afternoon and evening can upload intensity while evaluating a couple of pictures of the equal function(s) over the route of a day (nine).
Vertical

Taking a image directly down over a panorama is the greater familiar form of aerial photograph. It is a plan view so there is no angle to distort the photograph. This also method that it's miles hard to read the lay of the land such as changes in top - even though there may be a piece around to create 3-D picture through stereoscopic views, using a device to observe straight away. This usually gives an awesome impact of the variant in the elevation of land (8). They are taken at ordinary heights for consistency so it's miles less complicated to examine contexts of a landscape taken on the equal day, or many years apart to study improvement. Rarely used in archaeological packages besides possibly once in a while to discover exciting earthworks and different web sites that are without difficulty overlooked at the floor (eight), they cowl a miles wider location (6) and cognizance on topography instead of precise info (4).
Vertical Photographs: When Best to Take Them?

As a rule, vertical aerial pics are simpler to interpret than indirect pictures due to the standardised approaches wherein they may be taken - with set scales and at a unmarried non-arbitrary angle (10). The identical advantages normally observe to vertical as they do for oblique, however you may lack the angle, the intensity and the 3-d effect regardless of the climate situations cited above. At better stages, you may leave out crop and soil marks. If it's far an overview you require, then vertical photography is the nice manner to head.
History of Aerial Photography and Survey

The first aerial image became oblique and taken of a French village within the late nineteenth century. The guy who took it - photographer Gaspar Felix Tournachon - patented the concept of using aerial snap shots to assemble maps (five); it became to prove a good deal extra effective than the time-eating floor surveys that had then been the more generally-used method of the countrywide mapping organizations that advanced throughout the nineteenth century (which includes the UK's Ordnance Survey). George R. Lawrence took aerial pictures of San Francisco in 1906 following the devastating earthquake, however it turned into now not till World War I - whilst doubtlessly military applications were foreseen - that a scientific system of taking aerial pics would emerge as key to the development of the technique.

Archaeologist OGS Crawford pioneered using aerial photography for this cause (11), having visible its capability for analyzing the English panorama. Both the allies and the Germans frequently took images of each different's strains and sources for you to keep up to date with the enemy movements (5). Having experienced the fulfillment of this approach of observation, Britain once more used aerial photography at some stage in World War II, employing teams of archaeologists to interpret hundreds and hundreds of images taken for aerial reconnaissance purposes (11, web page a hundred and five). After the war, researchers welcomed the beginning of the modern-day motion of panorama research, herbal approaches, archaeological functions and treating the panorama as a feature and a monument in itself (12, page eight). With the arrival of satellite tv for pc imagery evolved through countrywide and international space corporations, military aerial images reconnaissance have become much less crucial even though now not totally removed.

The Cold War and the improvement of shade images intended that army applications persevered and it was throughout this period that wider environmental packages developed too. Infra-purple photography have become critical to plant life mapping (20) and additionally to monitoring and identifying diseased flora and bushes (18). The function of taking landscape snap shots at exclusive hues of the spectrum spread out a huge range of programs across the broadest possible scope of the environment. Better cameras advanced and both the us and USSR have been capable to plot reconnaissance trips over key web sites from heaps of toes up in the air. It become then that satellite tv for pc reconnaissance started to take over.

Since then, aerial images has been used extensively in archaeological research and later for such wider environmental studies as mapping forests (20) and modifications in vegetation through the years (15), tracking changes in river direction, and intensity and planning conservation paintings of river structures (16), and modifications to the landscape after natural approaches which include landslides (14). Its programs are endless with more than one features in geology, geography and wider panorama, rural and concrete studies. It is a reasonably-priced and effective faraway sensing technique. Even nowadays with widely available satellite (thirteen) imagery and public mapping consisting of Google Earth, aerial pictures stays vital to panorama and other environmental research. It adapts as technology and human want adapts.
Applications of Aerial Photography
In Archaeology

As mentioned earlier, in archaeology aerial pictures is right for locating misplaced monuments and monitoring functions, mainly those who are not seen at ground level, the ones which can be beneath the soil and can not be visible on a field stroll and people which can only be seen underneath positive situations. They are generally observed thru any of the following (8).

Crop Marks and Parch Marks: Seen in summer, crop marks are signs and symptoms of a subterranean feature that show up as irregularities in the pattern of crops. Growth of the crop is probably stunted because of extant remains inclusive of stone foundations, or they might be better than the surrounding crop due to underlying water structures along with dried up drainage channels or long-gone synthetic water capabilities which includes fishponds. Parch marks arise in areas of in particular dry summer. In a few situations, the crop can also genuinely be a one of a kind color. Parch marks fluctuate in that they may be discolourations inside the crop due to prolonged drought. Areas wherein floor water dries up fast and regions in which there can be extra groundwater will display up simply. Caution is advised while decoding each crop marks and parch marks as the anomalies can be archaeological, geological, or due to variations in soil and ground water publications. Modern pipes might also flag a fake fine for functions of hobby.

Soil Marks: Best studied in winter while no crops are growing or grasses have big died off, each rainy and dry situations are conducive to picking out buried functions. Typically showing up as darker areas, they can indicate underlying stonework, the define of prehistoric capabilities inclusive of barrows and cursus monuments, and ditches. The equal problems above follow - they may be herbal or current functions.

Low Profile Monuments: From the ground they may appear like herbal bumps in the floor or be so moderate as to be barely perceptible. From the air, their appearance is some distance greater revealing. On their own they will or may not seem like some thing crucial however if observed with the above, can seem more substantial.
In Urban Studies

Urban development and the history of urbanism is a developing area of interest of panorama research which has a huge variety of uses via records and archaeology, the records of cartography, the history of commerce, sociology and even for contemporary city planning. Town builders want to examine the effect of enlargement and development of urban centres on the landscape and the impact at the surroundings (19). New centers (as an instance a new sports activities stadium) would require a reconsider of the infrastructure and the impact that the new facility could have on human beings living in the place - will we want to construct greater homes? Upgrade the roads? Will this have an effect on protected regions? Aerial pictures taken at low tiers is vital to examining the existing infrastructure (9).
In Climate Change

We all recognize about the consequences of weather trade on international temperatures. These global changes are reflected anywhere, and societies and groups are seeing changes to their nearby environment. If it isn't river beds drying up, droughts getting longer, wetter seasons getting wetter and the discount of inland lakes drying up completely, one of the maximum practical programs is tracking of invasive species into water bodies (17) that only some years in the past might not have supplied an good enough environment for those species. Researchers hold critical records in modifications over seasons and years to track neighborhood effects of climate alternate and dangers to neighborhood ecosystems. Localised aerial pictures will highlight the die-off of sure vegetation, or the boom of invasive species.
In Other Earth Sciences

They can also be used to observe the technique of natural changes, such as variations in soil and geology over time in addition to adjustments to the underlying floor that leads to disasters together with landslides (19). Not quite as beneficial to geologists due to the relative expense and problem in interpretation in comparison to archaeological programs, aerial survey nonetheless has makes use of and advantages and the ancient report for changes to the natural panorama is crucial to understanding how the panorama may additionally exchange in destiny. Annual rainfall, whether or not lower or higher than everyday, may have a ways-attaining consequences and it's miles this where geology's pastimes in aerial images are maximum important.

Though increasingly taken over with the aid of satellite tv for pc photos and digital mapping of GIS in latest years, photogeology nonetheless has a few realistic packages for finding mineral and fuel deposits, mapping regions and monitoring geological modifications and water control in addition to fashionable geological research that different programs can't make a contribution to (21). A tremendous example of this is water drainage ahead of proposed new city developments - flood simple dangers and subsidence...OAKLEY Construction

Reactions: Number3456
Desk based totally research isn't pretty much analyzing papers for crucial pieces of facts, it isn't pretty much tables, graphs, statistics and figures. For many, primary information is all around us; aerial pictures, for instance, is an essential source of data for researchers in landscape studies. This includes disciplines such as Landscape Archaeology (the take a look at of the way humans used landscapes within the past), Human Geography (how modern people utilise the landscape) and climate technology (to decide land use and situations; to tune - as an instance - the growth and retreat of seasonal ice and water stages or invasive vegetation species).

Life is a little more complex than a copy and paste from a text book.

Still, thanks on your post, some of us can use pointers from the text :). And yes, there can be no substitute for hands-on practical experience

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM