Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Announces Part 107 Re-Testing Criteria

@SanCap Jim, is that the same online course that was required initially for part 61 pilots 2 years ago? Leading up to this I had kind of thought retaking it might be a requirement but after reading FAA-S-ACS-10A it didn't sound like it. Not a bad idea to retake it occasionally anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: SanCap
Yes, it was the same test. I may have not needed to take it again but it does show up in my FAA info. It was quick and painless and there is one question I always get wrong and can not figure out what it has to do with anything remotely related to remote pilots :)

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Were you provided something from the testing center stating you passed? In manned aviation, when you complete a flight review, you just have a note in your logbook. No new certificate is generated. Where is it said that every 2 years you will get a new RP certificate? I doubt that is the way it will work but if there is official guidance to the contrary somewhere then great, I'd like to read it.

I'm a part 61 PP and have a current Flight review. As I read it, I'm good. No new test, or paperwork other than the aforementioned log book entry.
You are correct. I called the Drone Help Desk and that is exactly what they told me. They said just keep a copy of the exam proof that was provided by the CATS testing center.

For everyone out there who is facing the renew exam and is still confused or has questions, I just came across this. It's a thorough coverage of what to study, what to expect (spoiler alert: Dave is correct - no new certificate, just re-authorization to exercise the Part 107 privileges), and explanations of just everything. NOTE: It's written by an aviation lawyer (Jonathan Rupprecht), so it's THOROUGH (lots of links to additional sources and additional coverage of information not included in either test but that Jonathan think's every sUAS pilot should be aware of - think CYA) - not a light read for those who want to go the minimum effort route - but it's FREE. Good luck!

Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate (Updated 2018) -

Reactions: SanCap and BigAl07
For "Current" Part 61 Pilots, we do take an online test but it's NOT The same exact one as before. I'm working right now to get the details confirmed but it appears like this:

Initial FAA Part 61 Test is 451
Recurrency Test is 515

This is ONLY for Current Part 61 operators.

For "Current" Part 61 Pilots, we do take an online test but it's NOT The same exact one as before. I'm working right now to get the details confirmed but it appears like this:

Initial FAA Part 61 Test is 451
Recurrency Test is 515

This is ONLY for Current Part 61 operators.

Course Name:
ALC-515: Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Course Name:
ALC-515: Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent
Just finished mine. Took about 1/2 hour to review the slides and take the exam. Immediately able to print out the certificate which I keep with a copy of my current endorsement from my "manned" pilot logbook in my phantom logbooks. About as simple and uncomplicated as anything the government will ever do!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Good news for those of us who don't have to test before September - King Schools has announced a new recurrent drone training course that should be out by the end of Aug. Participants will pay a one-time fee of $59 (yep, one time only) and have permanent access to the course - which will be updated regularly as rules, regulations and procedures undergo change and expansion.

For more info, here's a link to an AOPA article on the subject -
New recurrent drone training and LAANC courses available - AOPA

Remember that weather, loading and performance, and aeromedical aren't covered in the recurrency exam. But also remember that, for example, some topics such as drugs/alcohol (in aeromedical) are also regulatory and might appear.

Just finished the recurrent and scored 95%
FYI be sure to read through the question thoroughly. I went back and studied remote pilot lol and prepware remote pilot app. One of the members recommended it. I believe that helped me out, significantly.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Here's a free test tip and a silly question I missed:
In accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations, FAA certificate holders are required to update their mailing address within 30 days of obtaining a new address. Not 60 nor 90.

Now that I know the correct answer I suddenly feel a more competent aviator.;)

PS- 93%

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter