Join our growing community today!

FAA Part 107 sUAS Recurrent Test ~

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
This thread is just for those who have already passed their Part 107 RPIC test and are coming up on their 24 month time period to become current again.

Here's a great video by one of our sponsors Gold Seal giving some pertinent information about the P107 Recurrent Test.

If you are a Part 61 operator AND you are CURRENT then you only need to take the ONLINE test and PASS it! Print it off and add it to you "On Person" documents in case you get a Ramp Check.

If you go past the 24 month currency period, can you sill take the recurrent test after your expiry date or is this a reset that requires you take the complete test again?

If you go past the 24 month currency period, can you sill take the recurrent test after your expiry date or is this a reset that requires you take the complete test again?

The FAA hasn't given a "reset" time period for RPIC yet. So until we are told otherwise you just take the recurrent test to become current. Hopefully this will change in the future if they ever incorporate an actual flight demonstration portion......

Reactions: Avocet
Manned certificates never expire. But, in order to exercise your privileges you need to remain. The recurrency test is their way of documenting RPIC currency. I'm not sure that concept will change. If there is ever a practical test, which would surprise me, that would be the same as the Flight Review needed for most Part 91 pilots.

Recurrent test covers ADM, Emergency & Maintenance Procedures, Airspace, Sectionals, Waivers........and Risk Management (one part of overall CRM).

That bit was left out of the gentleman's video.

CATS Testing Group was a horrible experience. I wish the FAA would contract this part out to a different company. I registered and got my receipt for the recurrent test. I had some scheduling conflicts and the receipt has you call the number referenced in the video above to change your appointment. Anyone try it? On hold twice for over 30 minutes only to be disconnected twice. The airport where I took the test was wonderful and the people there were nice but only contracted by CATS to provide computer space. CATS happily took my $150 but I was never able to talk to a representative.

CATS Testing Group was a horrible experience. I wish the FAA would contract this part out to a different company. I registered and got my receipt for the recurrent test. I had some scheduling conflicts and the receipt has you call the number referenced in the video above to change your appointment. Anyone try it? On hold twice for over 30 minutes only to be disconnected twice. The airport where I took the test was wonderful and the people there were nice but only contracted by CATS to provide computer space. CATS happily took my $150 but I was never able to talk to a representative.

Good information Arvada and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reactions: rcdancer
Just finished my recurrent and passed. Easy test. Check out the FAA site for game rules and sample questions. Study up on airspace B,C, D, E, G, map reading, what each symbol means; you can check the sectional legend for explanation, general rules which you should know, and crew management documentation from FAA site. Good Luck.

Same FAA After All these years, nothing changes!…I was Really hoping that they would listen to experienced Drone Guys when writing Part 107....but hey, it’s the FAA and they are here to help!…Oh My My My!…Hang on everybody....we’re going into the “Cone of Confusion“! BTW, can we fly in Alert Areas?

My current 107 cert is due to expire in less than 30 days. Under our current isolation situation, this may prove to be difficult. Has anybody else had difficulty finding an active test center? I'm in Norcal and the local test center is not answering.
I've emailed the FAA to ask about an extension, but we'll see.
Anybody else have any suggestions or having similar issues?

Current word from the FAA is “too bad, so sad”.....you’re grounded until the centers open again.

That's what I was afraid of, yet I see new pilots on other threads waiting for registration earlier this month.
I'll keep looking and trying.

Reactions: BigAl07
K
My current 107 cert is due to expire in less than 30 days. Under our current isolation situation, this may prove to be difficult. Has anybody else had difficulty finding an active test center? I'm in Norcal and the local test center is not answering.
I've emailed the FAA to ask about an extension, but we'll see.
Anybody else have any suggestions or having similar issues?
Keep complaining, perhaps the FAA gods will wake up, Steve Pansky is a good guy and will pass your complaint up the channels. If enough people complain....who knows?

Steve Pansky/SAIC
Senior Aviation Analyst-AVS Safety Technical Services Support contract
Air Traffic and Public Safety/SAC-EC Liaison
Supporting Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Safety and Operations Branch, AUS-430 and Policy Team, AJV-P22
Phone: 202-904-9400
Email: [email protected]

K

Keep complaining, perhaps the FAA gods will wake up, Steve Pansky is a good guy and will pass your complaint up the channels. If enough people complain....who knows?

Steve Pansky/SAIC
Senior Aviation Analyst-AVS Safety Technical Services Support contract
Air Traffic and Public Safety/SAC-EC Liaison
Supporting Federal Aviation Administration Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Safety and Operations Branch, AUS-430 and Policy Team, AJV-P22
Phone: 202-904-9400
Email: [email protected]
Just emailed Steve. Hope it helps.

It specifically mentions 107.65

§ 107.65 Aeronautical knowledge recency.
A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft system unless that person has completed one of the following, within the previous 24 calendar months:

(a) Passed an initial aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(a);

(b) Passed a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73(b); or

(c) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in § § 61.56, passed either an initial or recurrent training course covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.74(a) or (b) in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

So no matter how you got your 107, this covers you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker