Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Provides a Timetable for LAANC Going Nationwide

Seems crazy no one else has commented on this! This is hugely important.

Wonderful news. Reading the concept of operations document now. My request is still pending but I think I can wait until July (Southern Eastern area) and use this new service.

I’ve got an Authorization expiring in April. Sent in request to extend it for another 6 months back in Jan. Hopefully it gets approved as otherwise will need to wait until July rollout for my area. (Southeastern Area, too).

Last edited:
Yeah, I was getting ready to apply for broad area airspace, but ... based on what I'm hearing from people who have used this, I'll just skip the application and wait until my birthday, July 19, when it rolls out here. I mean, it's not like my paperwork would be approved before July anyway. :D

Skyward.com released a PDF of specific airports in the LAANC rollout timetable. You may want to check it. Looks like Wilmington, NC is included in the Eastern North section as part of the Washington Air Traffic Control Center. I was getting concerned because, logically, I was looking in the Eastern South section and couldn't find it. They are grouping the rollout by Air Traffic Control Centers so an airport may not be listed where you think it should. In our case, it sets us back to August 16th instead of July 19th. Bummer. But it's good to know they have a schedule and it is coming.

Is that the correct URL? When I go to it, I get some student information system. Nothing that looks like a rollout schedule.

For those of you having to wait a while, you might go ahead and give it a try to get an Authorization thru FAA's Drone Zone (FAADroneZone). On Friday I received approval for an application I put in on Jan. 7th - so, about 2 months. And the Authorization is for DFW airport's entire Class B airspace! I wasn't sure I could get Class B wide-area approval in Dallas because of the complex airspace here. But...they approved it, which is a HUGE help in flying commercially here. As it turns out, Texas (and therefore DFW airport in Dallas) will be in the first LAANC group on April 30th, so my Authorization may be redundant then. But at least I get to use that COA for the next 7 weeks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215