Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Just announced by the FAA a few moments ago:

Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward
WASHINGTON
– To advance public safety of the largest segment of drone operations, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the organizations selected to advise the agency in developing test administration requirements for the recreational Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) aeronautical knowledge and safety test. (Follow link below for the FULL story and Details)

Reactions: R Martin
Reactions: BigAl07
Maybe it is just me but I find it unusual that they included a hostile foreign power in a discussion involving recreational flight in the US. It does not matter that they are the largest manufacturer of UAVs. I know I am becoming dated by my very existence in this kinder and gentler world, but this is just not appropriate to me.

I admit I too was shocked DJI was on that list. Seems like they are becoming more and more "integrated" into all aspects of the US. I'm not one bit comfortable with that in the least.

My biggest concern isn't who the FAA has invited to advise them. (They can always choose to accept or reject any "advise.") I am far more interested in "the test administration process" the FAA finally chooses. If it's a FREE online test (like the NC permit test, or the Part 107 test for BFR-current Part 61 pilots) it could have the potential for bringing more recreational sUAS pilots into compliance. On the other hand, if the test is privatized and involves a fee (like the current 107 test for non-Part 61 aviators) I fear it will prove counterproductive - either discouraging recreational fliers, or increase the likelihood of non-compliance (not to mention the logistical headache for recreational pilots who may find themselves miles from the nearest testing facility.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljupco75