Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA waiver for flying at night

When applying for the initial 107.29 waiver it's expeditious to use the "Step-by-step Application Process Guidance", "How to Apply for an Operational Waiver". and especially "Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines" and answer all questions thoroughly. The more detailed the better.

And, once you've received a 107.29 for Class G airspace, if you apply for a 107.29 waiver in controlled airspace select "airspace authorization" (NOT "waiver") when identifying the application type and include the phrase "authorization with waiver attached" in the application title. (You'll be prompted for your original Class G waiver during the application process.)

I can't say how long processing of new waiver applications is currently taking. But I've been renewing Class B, C, and D waivers recently and have been very pleased to receive renewal approvals in just 2 days. (Recommendation: be sure to include the number of your expired waiver in the "Proposed Location of Operation" statement.)

Hope that helps.
This thread reminded me my business 107.29 waiver is coming up for renewal (December 2020). I "thought" it would be a simple process, BUT according to the FAA gods:

"Dear Sir:

Unfortunately there is no renewal process for waivers. You will need to file a new request in the FAA drone zone at least 60 days prior to the expiration of the waiver." :mad:

Yeah I do see it now. It would be nice to have approval for class C airspace at night because a large portion of my city are under class C. Same with the class E2 that a neighboring city is under. My usage is just to take landscape lighting photos for homes and would never need to fly more than 75 feet agl, but I doubt the FAA will take me at my word on that.
Once you receive your 107.29 for Class G airspace you can submit a COA with Waiver Attached (That waiver will be your original Class G certificate.) for each of the controlled airspaces.

The FAA will take your word for it if you specify 75' AGL in your application. (In fact they'll hold you to it.) But, just as you can apply for a Wide Area Authorization to include all flyable grids in that airport's controlled airspace, you can simply leave your options open by stipulating "altitude not to exceed that posted for each grid, 400' AGL max." (in your own words, of course.)

You'll generally find that once you receive your first (Class G) waiver, the FAA is relatively easy to work with on your follow-up applications since you have demonstrated that you have given careful thought to the risks involved in night flight and have developed effective solutions that mitigate those risks.

Good luck with your applications.

Well I was denied. They said I didn't include enough details about my proposed operations, and that I didn't list all hazards and how to mitigate them. I thought I was very very detailed. Could anyone here that was approved look at my application and give me feedback? If so, please message me.

@Photogad
Have you looked at a VFR chart to locate all the hazards and explain what and how.
Have you mention how to deal with low level aircrafts within the vicinity of your flight path?
Did you mention you will have an observer helping you when flying?
What is your flight route, did you draw out the area you're flying in?
I'm sure you gave them Longitude and latitude of your take off position.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
@Photogad
Have you looked at a VFR chart to locate all the hazards and explain what and how.
Have you mention how to deal with low level aircrafts within the vicinity of your flight path?
I said nothing about the last two items and received mine in 8 days.

I said nothing about the last two items and received mine in 8 days.
As the author of three, soon to be four, approved daylight waivers and consultant to dozens more; I have come to the following (non-scientific) conclusion: ;)

1. The FAA minimum wage contractor who reviews these application get bonuses for the number of apps declined.
2. They also get a bonus for increasing the number of times an applicant is forced to address the exact same question within the same application. Repetition is rewarded
3. If you write your app using high school grammar you will fail. GED language will do just fine.
4. You can submit the exact same application (previously approved) and be denied...
5. No two reviewers have the same criteria.
6. Common sense is not common, Just ask the FAA.

Feel free to add your conclusions to my list. I used to think the humorous FAA motto "We are not happy until you are not happy" was an exaggeration......

@Photogad

No, I did not. Maybe that's why?

I guess I wouldn't have any of that information if I don't even know where I'll be flying yet. The purpose of obtaining the waiver is so that I can take on work that will involve flying at night, but no one is going to hire me for it until I have the waiver.

I read all the waivers issued on the FAA website and I see no limitations or areas restricting where the applicant can operate.

Edit: Yes I did list that I will have a VO and how to avoid manned aircraft. But nothing about my flight route or coordinates. Should I just put the coordinates to my house? Lol

As the author of three, soon to be four, approved daylight waivers and consultant to dozens more; I have come to the following (non-scientific) conclusion: ;)

1. The FAA minimum wage contractor who reviews these application get bonuses for the number of apps declined.
2. They also get a bonus for increasing the number of times an applicant is forced to address the exact same question within the same application. Repetition is rewarded
3. If you write your app using high school grammar you will fail. GED language will do just fine.
4. You can submit the exact same application (previously approved) and be denied...
5. No two reviewers have the same criteria.
6. Common sense is not common, Just ask the FAA.

Feel free to add your conclusions to my list. I used to think the humorous FAA motto "We are not happy until you are not happy" was an exaggeration......

I think you are on to something. Thanks for reviewing my application too, sir.

The weird thing is I re-used the application that KittyHawk got approved on, re-worded it for better grammar, improved on it with 5 new paragraphs and new information I learned at GoldSeal that wasn't in their application, and I still got denied. I think it really just does matter who is reviewing the applications and how much they hate their job at that moment in time.

No, I did not. Maybe that's why?

Should I just put the coordinates to my house? Lol
I'm not sure if you really want to put the coordinates from your home, I would find a small field for the coordinates, this way your away from traffic and nearby obstacles.
You may also want to use statements such as,
In the event of ........(here you put your procedures)
In the event of.......

I'm not sure if you really want to put the coordinates from your home, I would find a small field for the coordinates, this way your away from traffic and nearby obstacles.
You may also want to use statements such as,
In the event of ........(here you put your procedures)
In the event of.......
Coordinates are not needed or required. The waiver will be a blanket waiver for all Class Gulf airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter