Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

File Types for Images

ndbwhunter

Reaction score
This is all very new to me, so I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the different options/settings on the P4P. Could someone please explain the different file types for images and the pros/cons of each? Is there a preferred file type to get the highest resolution images? I'd also like to practice doing some manual panos, so if anyone could provide me with a brief tutorial on how to accomplish that, it would be much appreciated.

This is all very new to me, so I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the different options/settings on the P4P. Could someone please explain the different file types for images and the pros/cons of each? Is there a preferred file type to get the highest resolution images? I'd also like to practice doing some manual panos, so if anyone could provide me with a brief tutorial on how to accomplish that, it would be much appreciated.
There are only two image file formats - jpg and dng.
The resolution doesn't change with the file type.
Both jpg and dng (raw) provide 5472 x 3648 images (if you shoot with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
Dng files are much larger and require post processing in Photoshop (or similar) to look good.
Jpg files are compressed.
Many pros shoot dng because they allow more manipulation.
Many others shoot dng because they have been lead to believe it's the "best".
Jpg files are much better than many forum users believe and are probably all most users need.
Try both and see what works for yourself.

Manual panoramas are easy.
You simply rotate the drone (left stick to left or right) to scan across the scene and shoot overlapping images.
turn .. click .. turn .. click .. turn .. click
i-cgq3dwm-XL.jpg

Then use a stitching program to create the panorama.
DJI_0928-43a-X3.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
You should also check out HDR mode in the Phantom. It allows you to take 3-5 pics at different exposures. Then, you use Lightroom or Photoshop to combine them. (All taken in raw), The software will then automatically combine the photos into one. Then you can process that one picture and do amazing things with it. because it has all the required "data" contained in the one photo. When you see a photo that just "POPS" out at you, you can almost bet its an HDR photo. We use it all the time in Realestate to make the house really stand out. It's like night and day. Hope this helps.

I shoot about 17 panos minimum a week. To get a really nice stitching I start of with 10 degrees up, shoot 8 photos, move to 15 degrees down shoot 8, move to 40 degrees down and shoot 8, move to 65 degrees down and shoot 8, last 90 degrees down 1 then rotate 180 and shoot 1. Now you can get away with shooting less at 65 degrees but no less than 6.
So basically I'm shooting 34 photos per pano.

Shoot them in jpg because you aren't going to want to photoshop those photos. Make sure your drone is stationary (hovering) when you shoot. As you turn, wait a second once you stop your turn and make sure you stay focused. I shoot all my panos from 200 feet. That is what works best for my and my drone and camera configuration.

Best of luck to you.

I shoot about 17 panos minimum a week. To get a really nice stitching I start of with 10 degrees up, shoot 8 photos, move to 15 degrees down shoot 8, move to 40 degrees down and shoot 8, move to 65 degrees down and shoot 8, last 90 degrees down 1 then rotate 180 and shoot 1. Now you can get away with shooting less at 65 degrees but no less than 6.
So basically I'm shooting 34 photos per pano.

Shoot them in jpg because you aren't going to want to photoshop those photos. Make sure your drone is stationary (hovering) when you shoot. As you turn, wait a second once you stop your turn and make sure you stay focused. I shoot all my panos from 200 feet. That is what works best for my and my drone and camera configuration.

Best of luck to you.

Good advice. You can also automate some of this work by using Hangar Autopilot using the "Pano Mode".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164