Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Finally working steadily!

Fly Addie Fly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I finally felt comfortable enough with my Mavik 2 to seek work. Currently, I have three steady real estate clients that are sending jobs my way. I purchased a Cannon EOS camera to compliment my services. Although, I know very little about professional photography, I am learning self-teaching myself through YouTube videos. So far so good, I am sure that with time I will improve and learn from my mistakes. I live in a small town so my pricing is very competitive. I am currently charging $90 for 5 aerial photos and 15 indoor pictures. Any feedback on my pricing? Also, lately the videos I take with my drone are looking distorted ...like a melting effect...Is this because of the memory card ? Should I replace it? Or can it be because my computer may not have enough (whatever it needs) to run the videos smoothly. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am open to recommendations with where to go to become a better photographer! This community challenged me a few months ago to get out of my seat and make decisions about the industry I should pursue. Also, I had some overall fear that I somewhat overcame by the encouragement and support of this community.

Thank you!
Drone Pilot Services
Addie!

Attachments

• B0C44DCB-0F30-4574-B7B1-00262A8A93EB.jpeg
    B0C44DCB-0F30-4574-B7B1-00262A8A93EB.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 46
First of all, good for you. I took courses from the "Great Courses" put on by a National Geo Photographer Joel Sartore, and learned a tremendous amount about photography. Also, pick Fred's brain, hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him. He is a professional photographer. Ask him for recommendations on books specializing in indoor or real-estate photography. You are also going to want a high powered editing software.
As for your videos. What frame rate and resolution are you shooting? I found shooting at 30 fps was too slow with a moving drone, I shoot at 60 fps and different resolutions based on what I'm attempting to accomplish.
Pricing seems a little low but I don't know what the market will bare in your area. What lenses are you using for your indoor work?

This would be a good resource for you:

That's wonderful, Addie. I think that price sounds okay for a start in a small town. Figuring you can probably accomplish those shots in 2 hours with minimal to no post-production editing, I'd say $45 an hour isn't a bad starting rate for getting your name out there in real estate. For out-of-town/county work, you should tack on a mileage fee to offset the price of gas. Expect to be operating in the red until you make up for the cost of the camara, assuming you had previously purchased the drone for personal enjoyment. Don't forget to deduct those types of costs when you file your taxes, so keep receipts and good records.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fly Addie Fly
AWESOME! You go girl!!

When you get some time, drop me a note. I've got some suggestions that might help you avoid some of the "hurdles" others face when starting out a new REP business. I can honestly say, "Been There, Done That!!"

AWESOME! You go girl!!
BigA, got to share a story. Went into a office in San Francisco. As I stepped into the elevator there was four women. I said, "good morning girls". I was later told by my wife that I was making demeaning comments by referring to them as "girls". I hate political correctness.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
BigA, got to share a story. Went into a office in San Francisco. As I stepped into the elevator there was four women. I said, "good morning girls". I was later told by my wife that I was making demeaning comments by referring to them as "girls". I hate political correctness.
Just an FYI to all... If anyone wants to refer to me as "boy", feel free to do so. I may be 69 on the outside, but I'm still 17 on the inside. ;)

Congratulations! There's a YouTube channel run by Rich Baum that is all about real estate photography. That would be a good resource for you.

• Love
Reactions: RGB and BigAl07
Addie, if you could drop a sample of what your video looks like, someone may be able to identify potential issues. Based on your description, it may be that the frame rate is low. What editing software are you using?
While Adobe Premier and Lightroom are considered by many to be the “Tesla” of editing software (used to say Cadillac), I’d recommend starting with one or more of the free and open source programs;
OpenShot (OpenShot Video Editor | Download)
ShotCut (Shotcut - Download)
DaVinci Resolve
(DaVinci Resolve 18 | Blackmagic Design)

Listed from simplest to most robust. YouTube has free courses on how to use all of them, and they are quite good.

Good look!
-

Hi Everyone, I finally felt comfortable enough with my Mavik 2 to seek work. Currently, I have three steady real estate clients that are sending jobs my way. I purchased a Cannon EOS camera to compliment my services. Although, I know very little about professional photography, I am learning self-teaching myself through YouTube videos. So far so good, I am sure that with time I will improve and learn from my mistakes. I live in a small town so my pricing is very competitive. I am currently charging $90 for 5 aerial photos and 15 indoor pictures. Any feedback on my pricing? Also, lately the videos I take with my drone are looking distorted ...like a melting effect...Is this because of the memory card ? Should I replace it? Or can it be because my computer may not have enough (whatever it needs) to run the videos smoothly. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am open to recommendations with where to go to become a better photographer! This community challenged me a few months ago to get out of my seat and make decisions about the industry I should pursue. Also, I had some overall fear that I somewhat overcame by the encouragement and support of this community.

Thank you!
Drone Pilot Services
Addie!
Pricing is a very regional thing. If you’re doing well at that rate I’d keep with it until the housing market crashes then you can jack your prices because people will be desperate to sell.
Where I am right now most are satisfied with iPhone pictures so it’s kind of a no go. When a house is only on the market for a week it’s hard to justify spending too much.
I took the Joel Sartore that was mentioned I thought it was great but I’m not sure it’s not applicable for real estate. Plus another reason I loved it as a kid I always wanted to be a National Geographic photographer.
I don’t know if LinkedIn learning is still offering their one month free but if you do that you could probably get it all done in a month.
There’s a ton of Photography information on the net for free.

Way to go Addie! I also recently started getting a manageable flow of paying projects. At the moment I'm focusing on marketing pictures/videos to enhance websites, FaceBook, YouTube and email campaigns.

Congrats! It's a great field to work in. I would comment that you're not charging enough for either service though.

Thank you!
Drone Pilot Services
Addie!
Congrats Addie....as to your distorted/melting video...check your gimbal and make sure it is seated with all the holders in their places.

First of all, good for you. I took courses from the "Great Courses" put on by a National Geo Photographer Joel Sartore, and learned a tremendous amount about photography. Also, pick Fred's brain, hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him. He is a professional photographer. Ask him for recommendations on books specializing in indoor or real-estate photography. You are also going to want a high powered editing software.
As for your videos. What frame rate and resolution are you shooting? I found shooting at 30 fps was too slow with a moving drone, I shoot at 60 fps and different resolutions based on what I'm attempting to accomplish.
Pricing seems a little low but I don't know what the market will bare in your area. What lenses are you using for your indoor work?
Thanks ...At the risk of sounding ignorant, I would not even know how to check the frame rate and resolution. I have been learning about Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO mostly. I am a very retired Social Worker so the photography world is all new to me. I have become a solid drone operator, however, I do still have much to learn. For example, how to run the automatic features on the drone that film and perform tasks without pilot intervention. I appreciate your response and I will look into how to access the frame rate and resolution. Addie

Reactions: R.Perry
That's wonderful, Addie. I think that price sounds okay for a start in a small town. Figuring you can probably accomplish those shots in 2 hours with minimal to no post-production editing, I'd say $45 an hour isn't a bad starting rate for getting your name out there in real estate. For out-of-town/county work, you should tack on a mileage fee to offset the price of gas. Expect to be operating in the red until you make up for the cost of the camara, assuming you had previously purchased the drone for personal enjoyment. Don't forget to deduct those types of costs when you file your taxes, so keep receipts and good records.
Hi MapMaker53

Well thank you! It's been an interesting experience. There is so much I do not know yet. Thanks for confirming that my price is reasonable for a small town setting. I will track my millage and I am in the process of trying to figure out the accounting aspect of the business/taxes. Yikes!

Pricing is a very regional thing. If you’re doing well at that rate I’d keep with it until the housing market crashes then you can jack your prices because people will be desperate to sell.
Where I am right now most are satisfied with iPhone pictures so it’s kind of a no go. When a house is only on the market for a week it’s hard to justify spending too much.
I took the Joel Sartore that was mentioned I thought it was great but I’m not sure it’s not applicable for real estate. Plus another reason I loved it as a kid I always wanted to be a National Geographic photographer.
I don’t know if LinkedIn learning is still offering their one month free but if you do that you could probably get it all done in a month.
There’s a ton of Photography information on the net for free.
Thanks for taking time to answer my post....I am using ADOBE Lightroom and Photoshop Express. Gosh, photoshop is a nightmare to learn. That is my experience. Anyways, I should just take the time to get to know my camera better and maybe join a photography club locally because hands on learning is my thing.

Me too...Well, the world is changing around us and at some point we either go with the change or only hang out with people our age...LOL...I am careful but I do make mistakes along the way. Like I called someone a he when it was not a he...that got me into some trouble that I finessed myself out of with some charisma.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker