Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

First drone job.

Tyson

Reaction score
So I just got contacted to do my first paid drone job. YIPPEE!

I got my license and have my drone registered with Transport Canada. This person contacted me wanting me to do a video of the house and yard they are wanting to sell. They want the video edited and they are in a neighborhood. I got their address and gonna look on airmap. A few questions...

As this is my first paid drone job, I am wondering what you guys would charge? They just want a video not sure how long and maybe a few images, so there would be time, travel about 30 min, and computer editing time.

My next question, should I get them to just let the neighbors know what will be going on? Just as you all know, some people might not like the fact that a drone is flying around that low, they might know know what is going on.

Thanks!

Always inform the neighbors as you will most assuredly fly over some portion of their property, unless your shoot is on 5 acres or more of its own property.

Reactions: Tyson
Are you an experienced photographer and videographer? What you charge would have something to do with your skill level in creating images and video.

Reactions: Tyson
What you should charge is pretty tough for other people to estimate. Something to keep in mind, if you ask a really low price, do a great job, and the client refers you to others you’ll find it almost impossible to raise your fee for the next people. your first client will most certainly tell others what they paid.

I’ll suggest $150-$200.00. If they balk at that and you still want to do the job, negotiate something that lets it work for you.

So I understand it is hard for you folks to say what to price it at, but does anyone have any tips on how to price them? Say a 3-5 min edited video with no music, maybe a few images. Would you charge by the time it takes, or by the project individually ($$ for up to 5 min edited video, $$ per still images)? I have an idea of what I would charge for aerial stills printed and framed, but not digital images and edited videos.

Also, anyone have any tips for doing the actual job itself? Things to make sure I do, things to look out for?

My personal rule of thumb is that you need to set a price at some level so that you look forward to new jobs coming in, not dread them. And then you should also do some actual maths to make sure you are at least covering all your actual costs so your efforts are sustainable over time. (Unless you want to approach this all as more of a hobby and then do whatever you have time/funds for and just have fun with the process, the challenges, the being out side, the flying, etc.)

Reactions: wendyc
Can you post a video you've made or some aerial images you've taken? That would be a big help in suggesting what you should charge.

CONGRATS on your first gig. Keep in mind that whatever you charge, even if you state it's a SPECIAL price, will be what your clients will "Expect" to pay going along. Those first "Special Clients" will feel like they helped you get started and as such they "deserve" the forever Friends & Family discount. In SALES .

Don't be afraid to price your product and services for what you are worth. If you don't bring a lot to the table then you may not be able to justify higher fees. If you're a Rock Star then you can demand higher fees so long as your clients are willing to pay for Rock Star level of goods/services.

Here are some ground floor questions you need to know already:

How long does it take you to acquire the raw data? (Preparation, Travel, On-Site etc)

How much time do you spend (on average) editing a set of photos for a client?

How much time do you spend editing to create the 3-5 min video (BTW unless you're creating some STELLAR content you'll lose your potential clients after about 45-60 sec of video)? You're painting a small glimpse of the property... .just enough to wet their appetite and to make them say, "Wow... I have to find a way to contact the agent and see that property in person". If you tell the whole story the prospective client may see something they don't want/need and never even make that first phone call. You are the Bait In The Water. . . .

How much does your business "Cost You" to operate per month?

How much do you need to PROFIT each month?

Once you answer those questions you can better come up with a price you need to charge to be able to stay in business and not be a high dollar hobby.

For the record, it gets easier but it's far from easy to begin with.

Can you post a video you've made or some aerial images you've taken? That would be a big help in suggesting what you should charge.
Here is a video I've done. Never done real estate before. I can't find any images atm, mostly got photography from my DSLR. Might offer some inside shots with it for the video too.

Here is a video I've done. Never done real estate before. I can't find any images atm, mostly got photography from my DSLR. Might offer some inside shots with it for the video too.

I don't see "Aerial Only" as being a viable business option (at least long term) for Real Estate. The agents want a One-Stop-Shop and I don't blame them. It's a hassle to set up with an Aerial, Ground, and Int photographer. Why not make one phone call, one set of coordination, and send one CHECK.

Reactions: js1600 and PatR
My first software contracting job was done for a business. They were required to send in a 1099 form to the IRS, so all income was reported. Depending on your tax bracket, come tax time, $1 income is not always $1 income, so be sure to add x% to your time & material costs.

Many forget that all important little item. Even if you get paid in cash a client making the effort to account for their business expenses will send out a 1099 to enable them to make expense deductions, reducing their taxable income. Those failing to consider tax implications can find themselves with 25%-33% less usable income at the end of the year.

Anyone doing this stuff as a business has to treat it like a business.

Reactions: js1600 and BigAl07
So I just got contacted to do my first paid drone job. YIPPEE!

I got my license and have my drone registered with Transport Canada. This person contacted me wanting me to do a video of the house and yard they are wanting to sell. They want the video edited and they are in a neighborhood. I got their address and gonna look on airmap. A few questions...

As this is my first paid drone job, I am wondering what you guys would charge? They just want a video not sure how long and maybe a few images, so there would be time, travel about 30 min, and computer editing time.

My next question, should I get them to just let the neighbors know what will be going on? Just as you all know, some people might not like the fact that a drone is flying around that low, they might know know what is going on.

Thanks!
woow thats really great

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igwe3