Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

First Gig - its a weird one.

Reaction score
So we had a big storm that swept through Southern Ontario (Canada) 5 days ago and there's significant property damage. I'd just set up a facebook page, e-mail , instagram and insurance for my Drone photography side gig and i get an e-mail from a guy asking me come shoot his house, because a big tree fell on it. ""I assumed he wanted pictures of the house for insurance of for his records. Turns out he wants me to film a 1-2 minute video, that he can send to his family and friends because he thinks it hilarious. So i showed up there tonight to assess the site for risks and get an idea of what i'll be shooting. I put the drone up and took a couple videos and shots, but i have no idea how i'm gonna draw this thing out . I'm flying a mini 2 because its in a restricted zone so im capped off at 75 feet. Any ideas as to how i can draw this out for 1-2 minutes? Picture for reference.

Attachments

• Treehouse (9).jpeg
    Treehouse (9).jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That brings up an interesting question. We all know if a video clip is too long viewers get bored. I look back at some of my early videos and they bore me. I purchased a book titled "How to shoot videos that don't suck" but it never addressed how to keep a prolonged video interesting.
I would love to hear some advice from the pros on here.

I typically put together 10-15 minute videos for my company of our field projects. I know that sounds incredibly long, but I try to tell a story. Basically the steps involved in completing the work. I add music (usually Rock instrumental or some other "manly" construction music) and sometimes a voice-over to explain what is happening in the particular scene. But I think the most important thing when filming is to be creative. Take advantage of the fact that one has a drone and film from interesting vantage points that no one could ever experience on their own. For example, while filming the dredging of heavy oil product from a river and being deposited into a dump truck, I switched from an oblique view to a rather unique and artsy view that was from directly overhead. Since the dredging was pretty repetitive, it provided me the opportunity to film from a number of angles and then seamlessly splice in the quick scene change to the overhead view in post-production -- as though I had been filming with two cameras. Another unique view I included that no one could ordinarily have experienced was from the very back of the dump truck as it traveled down the gravel causeway with the dredged material slopping around inside of it. So I think one key is to always include some interesting and artsy views. Just my 2 cents. I wish I could post examples here, but our work is environmentally sensitive and usually confidential with our clients.

I typically put together 10-15 minute videos for my company of our field projects. I know that sounds incredibly long, but I try to tell a story. Basically the steps involved in completing the work. I add music (usually Rock instrumental or some other "manly" construction music) and sometimes a voice-over to explain what is happening in the particular scene. But I think the most important thing when filming is to be creative. Take advantage of the fact that one has a drone and film from interesting vantage points that no one could ever experience on their own. For example, while filming the dredging of heavy oil product from a river and being deposited into a dump truck, I switched from an oblique view to a rather unique and artsy view that was from directly overhead. Since the dredging was pretty repetitive, it provided me the opportunity to film from a number of angles and then seamlessly splice in the quick scene change to the overhead view in post-production -- as though I had been filming with two cameras. Another unique view I included that no one could ordinarily have experienced was from the very back of the dump truck as it traveled down the gravel causeway with the dredged material slopping around inside of it. So I think one key is to always include some interesting and artsy views. Just my 2 cents. I wish I could post examples here, but our work is environmentally sensitive and usually confidential with our clients.
It is interesting what you said about music. When I was working on the UC Merced project I was doing a weekly video, with no sound. I decided to add some music and the client said they loved the addition of music and the music fit the flow of the video. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Great response.

Reactions: Hawkwind
Really appreciate the replies. I fixed the file link, i went back today and chewed through 4 batteries in the mini and got tons of footage. Mostly for fun, because it was an exciting thing to shoot. Turns out expectation for the end result is pretty low. It's more of a gag thing for this guy than anything. Who ever thought the first thing an elderly couple would think of when a tree falls on there house is, "Lets hire a drone guy for shits and giggles" . I didnt realize automated modes on the mini dont work in restricted zones, learn something every day. I also had an issues with pano photos. The drone kept throwing an error saying I was too far from the destination or something like that. Working on the seperating the video clips now.

As long as we were on the subject, I threw together some quick unidentifiable snippets from my various project videos just to show how I make a bunch of boring stuff look more interesting for the client, using unique views and some dynamic movement to catch the action. Then I add in some music to match the mood and I get something like this.

I'm basically a still photographer and suck at video, but for what its worth: I'd try to find an undamaged part of the house--front door if possible--and start at ground level and slowly ascend and pull back to show the "hilarity" of this situation.

Music adds a lot to a video. I subscribe to Epidemic Sound for an amazing variety in almost genre.

The key to making a good video is to tell a story. As I watch the videos of the best videographers their end product tells a story and generally looks like B-roll. That keeps it interesting and maintains the attention of viewers.

Reactions: DallasDroneGuy
So we had a big storm that swept through Southern Ontario (Canada) 5 days ago and there's significant property damage. I'd just set up a facebook page, e-mail , instagram and insurance for my Drone photography side gig and i get an e-mail from a guy asking me come shoot his house, because a big tree fell on it. ""I assumed he wanted pictures of the house for insurance of for his records. Turns out he wants me to film a 1-2 minute video, that he can send to his family and friends because he thinks it hilarious. So i showed up there tonight to assess the site for risks and get an idea of what i'll be shooting. I put the drone up and took a couple videos and shots, but i have no idea how i'm gonna draw this thing out . I'm flying a mini 2 because its in a restricted zone so im capped off at 75 feet. Any ideas as to how i can draw this out for 1-2 minutes? Picture for reference.
If it were me, I'd start at top-down then work my way down to a high-up position and circle it. Then move down to a medium-high level and circle the property again. Then I'd move as low as it is safe to do and repeat the same. Done! What else can you do?

Thanks for all the awesome responses. Turns out editing it down to 1-2 mins was more of a challenge than extending it out to 1-2 minutes. Here's the rough copy im working with now in davinci, in case anyone's interested, needs work on colour grading, music and transitions. link

That's great and not surprising that you are learning new things about your gear while going to this shoot. I tell myself all the time, that every job can be looked at like paid training. I learn something new (try to anyway) with each project. More time on the sticks makes me better whether it is exploring new app updates, or some quirk with H265 video, or in your case, restricted zones and automated flight features... getting more jobs will just add experience.

Reactions: R.Perry
That's great and not surprising that you are learning new things about your gear while going to this shoot. I tell myself all the time, that every job can be looked at like paid training. I learn something new (try to anyway) with each project. More time on the sticks makes me better whether it is exploring new app updates, or some quirk with H265 video, or in your case, restricted zones and automated flight features... getting more jobs will just add experience.
Your comment about more time actually flying brings a thought I've had for a while to mind. Automation to me is killing pilot skills with drones as with the airlines. Today we do mapping, Litchi waypoint flight, Panos, and orbitals autonomously. Create your flight and send your drone on it's way and when it finishes the mission comes back an lands on it's own.
So how is one keeping their flight skills up. As for me I have a home made drone that I fly a couple times a week for that very purpose. I must fly it and keep my situational awareness up all the time while flying.
What are others doing to keep their flying skills sharp?
Your average airline pilot on a typical flight only flies for a few minutes during takeoff and landing, the remainder of the time they are passengers.

Reactions: ThreeLoneDrones
Here is a link to my finished video, the client just paid me and was very happy with the results as they lined up with his expectations and the parameters we discussed before hand. Thanks to all who commented.

Treehouse video

I think you would do well to buy a book or find a video that teaches basic film principles such as establishing a situation with a long shot and then cutting to a medium and close up and learn how shots edit well together and how to tell a story. Also, the transitions to me were very annoying. Straight cuts would have been much better.
Fair enough, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy