Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

First (Paid) Real Estate Video

That ending shot is AWESOME!!

Here are a couple of items I might have done differently or incorporated (you did a GREAT job BTW):

a) Your initial orbit was a bit too close. The pool-house and pool are falling out of frame when they should be emphasized.

b) At ~ 30 seconds I would have flow in such a manner to bring the house into frame and THEN ascend (maybe remove the cars and fly through that opening?) Those massive trees (as majestic and beautiful as they are) take away from the front Reveal. It was a "Sort Of" reveal because the home falls out of frame just as it's coming into view. That was a MONEY SHOT if you can nail that awesome Reveal.

c) At the very next shot I would have started with the aircraft under the porch area and pulled back doing a massive ascending Reveal Shot instead of flying to and over the home.

d) On the shot you did above approaching and flying up & over the structure.... I'm very picky (I'm way overly critical especially of my own work) and flying off-center and not directly down the ridgeline of the roof spoils it for me. I would either shoot that from an obvious angle or re-do it until I got center-line nailed. The "almost center line" shot stopped my flow and pulls all of my attention away from the beauty and splendor of that home. I'm a bit **** in that respect.

It's a great video and those are just a few items I might have done slightly differently. I happen to love REVEAL shots and enjoy seeing the look on my clients faces when we do a massive Reveal shot.

Allen

Last edited:
That ending shot is AWESOME!!

Here are a couple of items I might have done differently or incorporated (you did a GREAT job BTW):

a) Your initial orbit was a bit too close. The pool-house and pool are falling out of frame when they should be emphasized.

b) At ~ 30 seconds I would have flow in such a manner to bring the house into frame and THEN ascend (maybe remove the cars and fly through that opening?) Those massive trees (as majestic and beautiful as they are) take away from the front Reveal. It was a "Sort Of" reveal because the home falls out of frame just as it's coming into view. That was a MONEY SHOT if you can nail that awesome Reveal.

c) At the very next shot I would have started with the aircraft under the porch area and pulled back doing a massive ascending Reveal Shot instead of flying to and over the home.

d) On the shot you did above approaching and flying up & over the structure.... I'm very picky (I'm way overly critical especially of my own work) and flying off-center and not directly down the ridgeline of the roof spoils it for me. I would either shoot that from an obvious angle or re-do it until I got center-line nailed. The "almost center line" shot stopped my flow and pulls all of my attention away from the beauty and splendor of that home. I'm a bit **** in that respect.

It's a great video and those are just a few items I might have done slightly differently. I happen to love REVEAL shots and enjoy seeing the look on my clients faces when we do a massive Reveal shot.

Allen
Thank you for your input!

I had the same thoughts for most of your suggestions... I just had to deliver, and this is what I went with.

For point A... I had another orbit, further out, but the natural sunlight "reveal" was too good to pass up.

Point B... I also had another clip for that, but it was off center :(

Point C... Didn't think about that one. ?

Point D... I thought the same thing (after I got home of course)

Reactions: BigAl07
Nice job , now ya gotta tell me just how much $$$ for the estate ?
Thinking of moving.?
He's looking for a cool $2,000,000 ?

That's his sticker price anyway ?

Honestly, it's 100% worth it. Typical homes in the area (with less than half the land) sell for 1M+ all day every day.

Reactions: dirkclod
You have some really great angles. Very impressed. My only point it time of clips. I find keeping clips 3-5 seconds keeps the audience wanting more.... the Ohhh.... Ahhhh effect is powerful. Even a great clip and angle, and you have quit a few of them, will loose its punch if it is too long. Longer clips can be used for the intro and final exit. Doesn't mean that you can't cut up a nice long shot and mix it in at different sections.

Here is an example of one I did a few years back. Not nearly as nice of a subject or clips you have, but just showing what shorter clips look like. Again, great shots and angles!
MHO.

Great job! ...and great feedback.
Please take this with a grain of salt...who am I(?)...but a casual observer with a little practice. I think your opening shot should have a speed ramp! The exposure is a bit dark and the orbit drags a little. The sun shining on the property would embellish the reveal...grab the viewer’s attention and the rest is so good ...it readily carries the viewer to the end ...which IS a fabulous shot!!! (Maybe speed ramp the colonnade?!?- clearly I like speed ramps)
Fabulous job!!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
In addition to the previous suggestions; the only thing I would add is to do disolves between the shots instead of cuts and keep each shot 3 to 4 seconds each.

Great Job, good comments and suggestions too! What platform sUAV and what do you use for video editing?

This is much higher cost area than mine, so all realative. Just curious if you care to share.. Realtor collects 5-8%, Listed for $2M. Any ballpark what all your time, hardware, editing skills, and knowledge collected in fees?

I had a few Realtors approach me and esentially felt minimal fees appropriate. Heard the "They have a Son with a drone...". I politely passed. In my midwest area, they place practically zero value on aerials, and their internals videos are normally in-house.

Again, great work! Liked the ending fade, applying that more in quick shots would build the anticipation. I liked the car section, but fading off and over to ft door would have complimented the shot.

"I had a few Realtors approach me and esentially felt minimal fees appropriate. Heard the "They have a Son with a drone...". I politely passed. In my midwest area, they place practically zero value on aerials, and their internals videos are normally in-house. "

That's the reality. A lot of clients don't value the videos and try to get a product as cheap as possible.
"Cheap, fast and good." Pick two, you can't have all three. This is my experience from being in the production industry
since 1990. Over the years the the value of productions have gone down. The equipment and editing systems have gone down in price. Lots of production companies have gone by the wayside, thus becoming a more freelance industry out of the bedroom.

You have some really great angles. Very impressed. My only point it time of clips. I find keeping clips 3-5 seconds keeps the audience wanting more.... the Ohhh.... Ahhhh effect is powerful. Even a great clip and angle, and you have quit a few of them, will loose its punch if it is too long. Longer clips can be used for the intro and final exit. Doesn't mean that you can't cut up a nice long shot and mix it in at different sections.

Here is an example of one I did a few years back. Not nearly as nice of a subject or clips you have, but just showing what shorter clips look like. Again, great shots and angles!
MHO.

Thanks for the advice! I am wrapping up video number 2 and will share again with you guys.

Great job! ...and great feedback.
Please take this with a grain of salt...who am I(?)...but a casual observer with a little practice. I think your opening shot should have a speed ramp! The exposure is a bit dark and the orbit drags a little. The sun shining on the property would embellish the reveal...grab the viewer’s attention and the rest is so good ...it readily carries the viewer to the end ...which IS a fabulous shot!!! (Maybe speed ramp the colonnade?!?- clearly I like speed ramps)
Fabulous job!!
I love speed ramps too!

I can see where you are coming from. Noted and will share my next video for more feedback!

Thanks!

In addition to the previous suggestions; the only thing I would add is to do disolves between the shots instead of cuts and keep each shot 3 to 4 seconds each.
The dissolves are definitely more cinematic.

The cuts could be shorter for sure, I have taken this advice and stashed it with my "good stuff" files lol

Thanks for the kind words!

Great Job, good comments and suggestions too! What platform sUAV and what do you use for video editing?

This is much higher cost area than mine, so all realative. Just curious if you care to share.. Realtor collects 5-8%, Listed for $2M. Any ballpark what all your time, hardware, editing skills, and knowledge collected in fees?

I had a few Realtors approach me and esentially felt minimal fees appropriate. Heard the "They have a Son with a drone...". I politely passed. In my midwest area, they place practically zero value on aerials, and their internals videos are normally in-house.

Again, great work! Liked the ending fade, applying that more in quick shots would build the anticipation. I liked the car section, but fading off and over to ft door would have complimented the shot.
I'm using an MA2 with Adobe products.

To me, all of their number mean nothing. I don't care if the house is $125,000 or $325,000. As long as it is under 3500 square feet the prices are the same. In my area, that means $(available upon request) for interior and exterior photos only (drone shots included), fully edited in LR and PrPro. I use a 16mm lens on a cropped sensor for interior (saving up for a Sony a6300 or A7sII), and try to shoot only HDR or AEB.

Timewise, I tell my clients that photos will come within 24 hours of leaving the site. Video is a 3 day turnaround. Video is usually $150 extra.

Rush service costs extra.
Dusk or Dawn costs extra.
Full sized files for print costs extra.
Unlimited licensing costs extra.

I've passed up plenty of jobs by telling the customer (nicely)... "You can shop at Walmart or Whole Foods, but the price reflects the quality." You can use your own metaphor but you get the idea.

Make sure your deliverables are the "bee's knees". Then shoot a house for a nominal fee ($25 bucks) as a "showcase" for your work. Tell them you want to show them something that pertains to them. It means more that way.

I had one client almost hang up on me after I quoted them a price. Not even a month later they called me back, paying $25 less than full price. (Full price was $400)

Be consistent and confident, but not arrogant

(I charge $75 for Aerial images only)

Last edited:
I'm using an MA2 with Adobe products.

To me, all of their number mean nothing. I don't care if the house is $125,000 or $325,000. As long as it is under 3500 square feet the prices are the same. In my area, that means $(available upon request) for interior and exterior photos only (drone shots included), fully edited in LR and PrPro. I use a 16mm lens on a cropped sensor for interior (saving up for a Sony a6300 or A7sII), and try to shoot only HDR or AEB.

Timewise, I tell my clients that photos will come within 24 hours of leaving the site. Video is a 3 day turnaround. Video is usually $150 extra.

Rush service costs extra.
Dusk or Dawn costs extra.
Full sized files for print costs extra.
Unlimited licensing costs extra.

I've passed up plenty of jobs by telling the customer (nicely)... "You can shop at Walmart or Whole Foods, but the price reflects the quality." You can use your own metaphor but you get the idea.

Make sure your deliverables are the "bee's knees". Then shoot a house for a nominal fee ($25 bucks) as a "showcase" for your work. Tell them you want to show them something that pertains to them. It means more that way.

I had one client almost hang up on me after I quoted them a price. Not even a month later they called me back, paying $25 less than full price. (Full price was $400)

Be consistent and confident, but not arrogant

(I charge $75 for Aerial images only)
Good points!
Aerials only? You provide the unedited or edited images?
It may have more worth to you in advertising or skill‘s gained, but I think your way under a livable value for the work & skill you brought to the table.

My stmt on Property List Value & Commission was that a Realtor makes a lot on upper end homes for minimal skills set... 1-3 homes could provide an annual income for many. For a Realtor to get tight or fussy over a relatively small aerial photography fee, it’s ridiculous.

In comparison, Any repair to the home: Painter, Etc. or a Used Car sale, that required 3-5 hours of professional auto tech service would cost a lot more, and a Professional Photographer’s package price, plus Video would be much higher.

Your work has excellent talent and will improve over time & experience; your rates should too. Don’t short yourself, the Realtor and Tradesman aren’t.

Good points!
Aerials only? You provide the unedited or edited images?
It may have more worth to you in advertising or skill‘s gained, but I think your way under a livable value for the work & skill you brought to the table.

My stmt on Property List Value & Commission was that a Realtor makes a lot on upper end homes for minimal skills set... 1-3 homes could provide an annual income for many. For a Realtor to get tight or fussy over a relatively small aerial photography fee, it’s ridiculous.

In comparison, Any repair to the home: Painter, Etc. or a Used Car sale, that required 3-5 hours of professional auto tech service would cost a lot more, and a Professional Photographer’s package price, plus Video would be much higher.

Your work has excellent talent and will improve over time & experience; your rates should too. Don’t short yourself, the Realtor and Tradesman aren’t.
I've actually been re-evaluating my pricing.

Looking at my deliverables, compared to others... I need to bump up my price for sure.

I only have the internet for suggestions, and it got me started, but I feel like my hourly rate is far too low.

I do aerials, interior, and exterior. Photo and Video (if applicable)

For one job, I charged $150 and got a $25 tip. Paid before delivery. I told them it was intro pricing, but where do I go from there?

I've heard tell that some realtors charge the homeowner for Photography so it doesn't even touch their commission. This is why I'm re-evaluating.

I only send them fully edited HDR pictures.

I really appreciate the compliments! I've been down in the dumps lately, and coming here, sharing this with you guys, has turned things around... If even the slightest bit.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
I've actually been re-evaluating my pricing.

Looking at my deliverables, compared to others... I need to bump up my price for sure.

I only have the internet for suggestions, and it got me started, but I feel like my hourly rate is far too low.

I do aerials, interior, and exterior. Photo and Video (if applicable)

For that job, I charged $150 and got a $25 tip. Paid before delivery. I told them it was intro pricing, but where do I go from there?

I've heard tell that some realtors charge the homeowner for Photography so it doesn't even touch their commission. This is why I'm re-evaluating.

I only send them fully edited HDR pictures.

I really appreciate the compliments! I've been down in the dumps lately, and coming here, sharing this with you guys, has turned things around... If even the slightest bit.

Have a great day!

So you charged $150 for Interior, Exterior and Aerials? I feel like you're leaving significant $$ on the table and undervaluing your product.

Your market may be significantly different than mine so take this with a grain of salt. For a LOCAL shoot (within 30 min of my office), 3,000sqft or less, here are "standard" rates:

$250 to show up for ONE process (aerial, interior, ext).
If other processes are needed they get added at a reduced rate. For instance if they wanted Exterior and Aerials $250 + $125 = $375
Exterior, Aerials, and Interior $250 + $125 + $125 = $500
Video is a charge per minute of finished video and it's in addition to the items above.
Virtual Tours are quoted per sqft and also in addition to the items above.

Keep in mind those are my "standard" rates and when speaking with the client I will qualify them while on the phone and ask questions so I can accurately price the listing. I've shown up at a job and there were multiple structures, vast amounts of land to be documented, and many other variables that drive the price up.

So you charged $150 for Interior, Exterior and Aerials? I feel like you're leaving significant $$ on the table and undervaluing your product.

Your market may be significantly different than mine so take this with a grain of salt. For a LOCAL shoot (within 30 min of my office), 3,000sqft or less, here are "standard" rates:

$250 to show up for ONE process (aerial, interior, ext).
If other processes are needed they get added at a reduced rate. For instance if they wanted Exterior and Aerials $250 + $125 = $375
Exterior, Aerials, and Interior $250 + $125 + $125 = $500
Video is a charge per minute of finished video and it's in addition to the items above.
Virtual Tours are quoted per sqft and also in addition to the items above.

Keep in mind those are my "standard" rates and when speaking with the client I will qualify them while on the phone and ask questions so I can accurately price the listing. I've shown up at a job and there were multiple structures, vast amounts of land to be documented, and many other variables that drive the price up.
@BigAl07 excellent examples!
I forget, you're in CA aren't you?
Interesting, those aren't much higher than midwest Iowa. The addendum on extra land and building was spot on too! I get a Ag request, upcommiing auction. On 20 min phone call so we're on same page. Drive 1.5 to 2hrs to farm... find out they have auction material on 3-5 different sites on farm that are 20 minutes drive between... we had a discussion on a package.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM