Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

First time filming in 4K..

MapMaker53

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
...mainly because I generally don't need that high a resolution while documenting our work being done on sites. But this time, my company is conducting a Phase I environmental investigation on a site that contains a large wooded and marsh area as part of the property. Basically during a Phase I investigation, we look for any items or areas of environmental concern -- often prior to a property sale. Rather than send a team into the tick-laden woods and marsh to walk transits, we decided to first film a 4K aerial downward facing survey in a back and forth pattern across the site. I used Litchi and Google Earth to plan it out and simulate the camera view to insure that each parallel run overlapped a bit for complete coverage. I decided to use video rather than mapping photo tiles because I was concerned that the millions of overlapping leafless tree limbs would mess with being able to stitch the photos correctly. Plus, video has a dynamic aspect to it as it traverses the site. I flew at 180ft AGL at a slow 12 mph. The resulting 14 minute 4K video ballooned to 40 GB after post-production -- which is why I will mostly be staying away from 4K filming. But the video came out great with fantastic detail. Once it is reviewed and any environmental concerns noted, a small team will move in and investigate those specific spots.

The weather was perfect for this operation with little wind and full cloud cover. A bright sun would have cast a spiderweb of distracting tree branch shadows on the ground, so we lucked out with the clouds. And we needed to do this before the Spring foliage appeared for obvious reasons. The fact that the site had A LOT of hawks flying around raised some concern in me, but they all seemed to ignore the strange noisy white trespasser. Note the Mama hawk on the stack railing to the left eyeing me and it's little one in the nest. It wasn't until I reviewed the video that I also noticed a couple of large Bald Eagles that had swooped below me in another frame. (Note the wing span as compared to the two lane road not far below it.) Strange to see Bald Eagles in the NYC Metro area, but it's nice that they are making a come back. All in all, a fun productive day.

ScreenCapture2.PNGScreenCapture1.PNG
DJI_0423_bc.jpgDJI_0406bc.jpg

Last edited:
I usually get about 1 Gb/min on UHD out of DR. That is about 120mbps bitrate. The original clips are about 100mbps out of a P4P or M2P. You are upscaling quite a bit if using the phantom and ending up with 2.8 Gb/min. Is your deliverable h.264 ?

I'm outputting h.264, and each of the 3 raw video segments out of the Phantom was about 7 GB in size. (The P4P filmed and saved the 14-min flight in 3 consecutive segments -- which I hadn't expected.) So, strung together, I would think they should become a single 21 GB video file. In addition, I had planned on recording my Litchi screen that displays the Lat/Lon info, but for some reason it would not save. So instead, I wound up screen recording the Google Earth simulation with Lat/Lon back at the office, synchronizing it with the P4P video, and then cropping the Lat/Lon info out of the simulation and adding it onto the P4P video. I know... long explanation. When all was said and done, my .mp4 output using the "Best" bitrate setting in DaVinci Resolve yielded the 40 GB file. Typically I find that DR balloons all of my .mp4 outputs significantly larger than the raw P4P video file size, even if I knock the bitrate down to ony 8,000 kb/s. I usually then bring the ballooned file into Handbrake to knock the file size down even further. My goal this time was to keep the 4K video as sharp as possible for those on the team that will be looking for items on the ground in the video. Luckily, I don't have to share this video across a network. It will be loaded onto a couple of stand alone PCs for the review. Admittedly, I know very little about video and bitrates. Would you mind sharing your typical DR output settings?

Last edited:
I'm certainly no video guru. I used to set the bitrate manually to just over the bitrate of the original clips. You can't really add quality that is not already there in the first place. But using "Best" seems to generally come out about the same or maybe just a bit higher than what I was setting manually so I mostly just use Best now. What is the bitrate of your output file?

Reactions: BigAl07
When I look at the properties of two 4K videos that I edited in DR and output to MP4 using the same settings, the 40 GB video has a total bitrate of 402492 kbps while the shorter 27 GB video has a total bitrate of 303234 kbps. Is that strange that they would have different bitrates using the same "Best" settings? Seems DR determines what is best for each individual video. Clearly, I need to educate myself and watch some YouTube videos regarding bitrates and how they work. I appreciate the feedback, Dave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143