Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flight over people

JoeDimwit

Reaction score
This summer, the FAA was accepting feedback regarding rules, and one they were looking at was flight over people if my memory is correct. Have they posted anything final yet? And if so, where can I find it?

thanks,
Joe

Nothing "official" has been changed but they do have some "possible" changes in the works. IIRC these changes will only apply to very small (light weight) sUAS.

Nothing "official" has been changed but they do have some "possible" changes in the works. IIRC these changes will only apply to very small (light weight) sUAS.
That’s exactly what I’m wondering... how will the Mavic Mini fit in. I was hoping they had released the new guidelines already.

That’s exactly what I’m wondering... how will the Mavic Mini fit in. I was hoping they had released the new guidelines already.

I wouldn't expect anything before next summer at the earliest. The bill is currently in Congress. They are working on redefining flight over people and night operations without a waiver.

I don't know what the new rule says, but with larger drones (anything large enough to be registered) I think you will have to get a parachute system for your drone to get a waiver for flight over people. There were several makers of drone parachutes but the market has shaken out and the only two left that I can find are Parazero and Mars. Parachute systems are expensive though.

I don't know what the new rule says, but with larger drones (anything large enough to be registered) I think you will have to get a parachute system for your drone to get a waiver for flight over people. There were several makers of drone parachutes but the market has shaken out and the only two left that I can find are Parazero and Mars. Parachute systems are expensive though.

As above, its too early to call it. Wait and see what shakes out before making any investments in systems that may or may not meet FAA requirements.

This summer, the FAA was accepting feedback regarding rules, and one they were looking at was flight over people if my memory is correct. Have they posted anything final yet? And if so, where can I find it?

thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe,

I wrote a blog post about the draft rule for flight over people with a summary of the categories. If the rule passes as is then the Mavic Mini will not require a waiver. Keep in mind that this is at least two years away. The rulemaking process is on-hold until a remote-ID rule is in place, and the draft hasn't been published yet.

Currently the only proven option is the ParaZero SafeAir System, 45 waivers have already been granted with the systems for the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2. No other parachute system has received waivers to fly over the public.

UC Merced UAV department has received a part 139 waiver for their Mavic, one requirement was a parachute had to be installed.

Keep in mind that these new rules for flight over people and night flights won't be implemented until sometime after the Remote ID rules are established and implemented. It is my understanding that the NPRM for Remote ID is likely to be published later this month.

Also, as @AviLozowick mentions, in the draft rules for flight over people, there is a category for <250g UAS that will allow for flight over people with no additional restrictions. However, keep in mind that is only a draft at this point and could potentially change drastically by the time the final rule is published.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM