Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flights over roads

JMaeding

Reaction score
For those that do mapping flights, how close to busy roads do you allow your flight plan to go?
The problem is most sites have roads along some edges, and you are supposed to get a full flight line beyond the edge of a site for photogrammetry to work decently.
I guess most just fly over the road, but the results show what you flew so kind of hard to hide that if you wanted to...
thanks

Reactions: Afghanpilot
It's all about Risk Reduction... so long as you can show you went above and beyond trying to reduce risk you're on the right path. No matter what you do, if your UAS impacts a vehicle or causes an accident you are at fault.

It's very important to fly perpendicular to traffic and not with/against it IF possible.

I have a contract to map 15 miles of road. I use Drone Deploy and set the width greater than the road width. This has the drone flying the road length twice. Each pass is flown along the edge of the road. This also produces a much better mapping of the road.
Here is a little example. The reason the distance is so short is each mapping needs to match the clients construction blueprints. Makes for almost 100 maps.

1658341604634.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeA and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV