Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying classified airspace for charities

Paul Danis

Reaction score
The crux of the question is a charity considered a business? Specifically furtherance of a business. I have a charity that is right at the edge of a class D airspace and I do not have the authorization in that space. As a charity, can I fly if I’m not making money for it? They plan to use the images for marketing and fund raising.

Love thoughts.

In UK law, charity work is still 'valuable consideration'... therefore yes, a licence IS needed. Charities don't always get a pass, and rightly so imo... people and events are still in proximity and therefore safety is a primary consideration.

The crux of the question is a charity considered a business? Specifically furtherance of a business. I have a charity that is right at the edge of a class D airspace and I do not have the authorization in that space. As a charity, can I fly if I’m not making money for it? They plan to use the images for marketing and fund raising.

Love thoughts.

Charity is a business from an FAA standpoint. If the flight is not 100% for your own personal enjoyment then it defaults to Part 107 rules.

They plan to use the images for marketing and fund raising.

That is considered for business.
However, If I were ever approached by a charity to take some basic images, I would do so probably for very little or for free. Now if it were in controlled airspace that would change things.
Maybe you could reach out to a local 107 operator and ask if they wouldn't mind taking a look at your situation and possibly being your PIC, tell them what you intend to do and maybe you will find one that can help you out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC