Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying for Summer Camp

Navigator42

Reaction score
We would like to use a drone for our summer camp media. Since this is technically a paid position it presents a really big problem because very few college-aged staff who would come to work for the summer would be Part 107 certified. Alternatively, to train someone to pass the test in the few days of staff training is nearly impossible. In our industry there just aren't loads of people who are willing to shoot video for a summer that have gone out of their way to take this test.

Has anyone dealt with this in the camping world or a similar industry? The Part 107 makes total sense for videographers who could be on different locations every week and need to understand and respect the aviation world. However, it's complete overkill for pilots limited to a several hundred acre camp to need to understand the airspace rules around Dallas Fort Worth or how to read TAFs when they are flying at about 250 ft and respecting all the FAA rules.

At this time I haven't been able to find a workaround but maybe someone else out there knows more. I'm also interested in how to bring this to the attention of anyone who makes these rules.

It's pretty simple... Recreation/Hobby no Part 107... everything else (except for Public Use which requires even more red tape) requires Part 107. There's pretty much no grey area/work around/loop hole as those have been well closed/noted across the board. Aviation is Aviation regardless if you're flying at summer camp or in downtown Atlanta. We have rules & regulations for a reason and regardless where you "Draw the line" someone is going to take exception to it. Unfortunately your instance happens to be on the wrong side of the line.

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots Group @Navigator42. Maybe you can find a couple of local 107 certified pilots to come to the camp once a week thru out the program and capture what you need for a fee. You could also look for 107 pilots who have kids that want to go to your summer camp and give them free access or discounted access to your camp. You might have to get creative on this one.

Good luck on your search but Big A is right, if you are paying someone to fly, they must be licensed.
I'm going to spend two days at our church youth camp and not only video some of the activities but teach a introductory class to kids that are interested, they might even get some flight time depending the number of kids and time allotment.

I mainly want the kids to learn the responsibility they have if they acquire a drone or already have one.

Has anyone dealt with this in the camping world or a similar industry? The Part 107 makes total sense for videographers who could be on different locations every week and need to understand and respect the aviation world. However, it's complete overkill for pilots limited to a several hundred acre camp to need to understand the airspace rules around Dallas Fort Worth or how to read TAFs when they are flying at about 250 ft and respecting all the FAA rules.

At this time I haven't been able to find a workaround but maybe someone else out there knows more. I'm also interested in how to bring this to the attention of anyone who makes these rules.

The "workaround" is to hire a Part 107 pilot to do some commercial work for you. If it is a paid position that you originally intended to hire someone for, you should be able to find a UAS pilot to help you out at maybe a reduced rate? If you are in the DFW area I might be able to point you in the right direction.

+1 to what R Martin suggested. Especially if you don't already own a suitable drone! Getting one with all the associated kit could run several $100s. There are enough of us (part 107 pilots) scattered around the country that you should be able to find one in your area. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but looks like the only legal option for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rats404