Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying from The Panhandle of Florida!

Is FPV meaning you have an observer or is that a special setting?

FPV is First Person View - It's when you're flying by the video feed from the aircraft totally as opposed to looking up at the aircraft. FPV could be merely looking only at your iPad/Tablet, or Goggles.

To fly FPV legally under Part 107 you'll need a Visual Observer to help be able to keep eyes on the aircraft all the time.

Reactions: manutter51
Is FPV meaning you have an observer or is that a special setting?
FPV is with the camera pointed in the direction of your flight, (normally forward) The presentation is what your camera is seeing. So if your camera is set at 0 degrees horizontally and pointing forward you should have what I refer to as FPV, it is as though you and in the drone and flying it.
I do not recommend googles unless you have an observer, not only that they take getting use to. I purchased a pair and have experimented with them but do not use them in the most part because I want to stay aware of what is going on around me.
Now with the Inspire 2 you have two camera's, one is a fixed FPV the other can be rotated both horizontally and vertically.
I have set up autonomous flights where my primary camera was pointing in a completely different direction that the flight of the drone, this also takes a little getting use to.
If you would like to see some examples of those flight let me know.

Fred is a professional photographer, most of us aren't. One thing I disagree with. If you are flying a drone, your first obligation is to fly it safely, photography although critically important is second on the list. Of course I think that way because I'm a pilot and not a professional Photographer.

If I were you I would look into construction documentation, you still want good quality pictures, but you don't need to be at the level that a professional photographer is. If you wanted to work for someone in that field I would check out Multivista in your area. Not only that if they hire you, they will send you to a school in Huntsville and they will teach you how to fly, and fly well.
Most of the Multivista branches use the Inspire 2, and the Phantom 4 RTK, and they supply the drones, they also supply a Nikon D500, and a MatterPort. They have plenty of photography training as well.
I don't work for them, but have contracted to them several times.
I would check the employee reviews of this company. A lot are very unflattering.

As for the Multivista branches they are privately owned. The cooperate is located in British Columbia. I can only speak for the San Francisco branch that I have been associated with, they they are outstanding in my book. The unhappy folks were normally the ones that didn't want to work or weren't up to the job at hand.
Example one young lad decided to launch a mapping while the drone was under trees, then felt is was terribly unfair that they fired him after destroying an Inspire 2.
Proves you can't fix laziness or stupidity.

Reactions: Snowghost
Addie,

A too am new to flying drones. Not to aviation though. Also in the Panhandle... Between Pensacola and FWB. This area has extremely complex airspace. I've already seen competitors posting videos in locations that are off limits to drones without some serious coordination. I'm currently doing a lot of practicing to get use to how the drone handles in its different modes.

Where do you fly?

-Adam

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum.

Anyway, I agree with others, practice but realize that you could be the best flyer in the world but not get any jobs or just crap jobs. A lot of it comes down to networking, specialization, marketing.

There is a lot of software out there that will automate your objective so don’t just get locked into Litchi, research and find what you like best and fits your career path.

Just an observation, I do find it funny Fly Addie fly post with a lovely photo and gets TONS of advice and yet almost 90% of profiles with some “dude” photo maybe gets two or three welcome replies from folks and mostly no reply to their questions. Mind you, this is to be expected and proven scientifically, hence pretty Realtors, high end car sales, etc. (male or female) also get higher sell through and more listings… while others just have to work smarter.

I will add that BigA107 has a lot of great advice about getting a business together. It’s worth following him and his post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowghost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter