Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying in canyons, Class E airspace

shooter

Reaction score
Website
www.lanl.gov
We've been asked to fly into a canyon that is about 1,000 feet deep from the canyon rim where we'd take off.

The canyon rim and canyon are in Class E airspace.

We anticipate taking off, going to about 100' AGL from the takeoff point, then fly into the canyon, dropping below our takeoff point to take stills and video.

The question becomes, will we violate the 700' Class E altitude requirement if we are more than 700' AGL from the bottom of the canyon? We'd never be more than ~100' AGL from the takeoff point.

Thanks in advance...

We've been asked to fly into a canyon that is about 1,000 feet deep from the canyon rim where we'd take off.

We anticipate taking off, going to about 100' AGL from the takeoff point, then fly into the canyon, dropping below our takeoff point to take stills and video.

The question becomes, will we violate the 700' Class E altitude requirement if we are more than 700' AGL from the bottom of the canyon? We'd never be more than ~100' AGL from the takeoff point.

Thanks in advance...

I think I understand your question but can you post the location on the sectional? The 700 AGL E limits are only in transition areas, otherwise E begins at 1,200 feet AGL. Besides, anyone can fly a UAS in Class E airspace, unless it's within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport :

"§ 107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC)."

These are good thought exercises.If I'm wrong someone will jump in and correct me, I'm sure.
Here's a good discussion on Class E airspace by Russ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus
The question becomes, will we violate the 700' Class E altitude requirement if we are more than 700' AGL from the bottom of the canyon?

Actually, I think you would technically be in violation of the 400' AGL maximum altitude restriction if you are flying higher than that in relation to the canyon floor - which would be directly below you. I had a similar situation where I had been flying at 399' AGL above part of our site which then required me to fly over the river flood plain next to the site -- which was 100' below the site elevation. So I had to quickly drop down 100' in order to remain at the legal 399' AGL.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Thanks in advance...

Out of curiosity, can a manned aircraft fly in this canyon?

Actually you can be within a 400 foot radius of an object/or canyon wall and fly 400 feet above that object. It night well take you into class E space if there is an airport near by. So if you are flying a river bed in a canyon and you take off from a canyon rim 500 feet above that river bed, as long as you stay with 400 feet of the canyon rim, you can stay at that altitude over the river bed.

Actually you can be within a 400 foot radius of an object/or canyon wall and fly 400 feet above that object. It night well take you into class E space if there is an airport near by. So if you are flying a river bed in a canyon and you take off from a canyon rim 500 feet above that river bed, as long as you stay with 400 feet of the canyon rim, you can stay at that altitude over the river bed.
Actually, the wording is "structure" , not sure a canyon rim is anything but "ground level" by definition, but who the hell knows?

Actually, the wording is "structure" , not sure a canyon rim is anything but "ground level" by definition, but who the hell knows?
Thats true, the word is structure. So if we dig down into the Abyss of the FARs, would a guard rail along the rim be considered as thus??? I guess as you noted the "who the hell knows rule kicks in" good points.

Structure can't be used to in this scenario. The best thing to do is to call your local FSDO and get the interpretation in writing because in the end that's really what matters.

Structure is something "constructed". That's my 2 cents.

Reactions: Russ Still

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann