Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying in the UAE

Red90

Reaction score
Website
www.red90.co.uk
Hey all,

Anyone flown in the UAE? I’ve got a job over there in the summer & was wondering who I need to contact regarding permission.

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

Martin,
sounds interesting, technical flying (i.e. surveys/mapping, etc.) or videography/photography?
I'm not sure the requirements, but I know of a couple of pilots who have trained Sheikhs and their staff with not special licenses or certificates...
good luck and let us know how it goes!

Stephen M.

The UAE is unfortunately very unorganised when it comes to drones, each of the 7 emirates have their own requirements when it comes to registration and certification. In theory you'll need both a country registration as well as a registration for each individual emirate where you want to fly. I live in Dubai and have registered my drone with the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority through their website:
As a resident you are also required to go through a mandatory pilot training through one of the DCAA approved training suppliers before being given your pilot's license.
Note that even as a tourist you are supposed to pre-register your drone before arrival in Dubai or you risk having it impounded when entering the country.

For the country registration check the GCAA website https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/Default.aspx, I admit to never having done this however :cool:
Lastly, the no-fly zones are very broad in the UAE so technically you'll be violating the rules pretty much everywhere :-(
The GCAA has a flight zone map on their website, the DCAA has an app for the same.

The UAE is unfortunately very unorganised when it comes to drones, each of the 7 emirates have their own requirements when it comes to registration and certification. In theory you'll need both a country registration as well as a registration for each individual emirate where you want to fly. I live in Dubai and have registered my drone with the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority through their website:
As a resident you are also required to go through a mandatory pilot training through one of the DCAA approved training suppliers before being given your pilot's license.
Note that even as a tourist you are supposed to pre-register your drone before arrival in Dubai or you risk having it impounded when entering the country.

For the country registration check the GCAA website https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/Default.aspx, I admit to never having done this however :cool:
Lastly, the no-fly zones are very broad in the UAE so technically you'll be violating the rules pretty much everywhere :-(
The GCAA has a flight zone map on their website, the DCAA has an app for the same.

I get that the no-fly zones are "loosely defined" but is there at least public information regarding military / government institutions? I have a big project coming up in Dubai in the summer and i can live with the a fine for private property "trespassing" but not the potential impounding of my Alta.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC